E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > *** Question on FLUSH INJECTORS servicing ***

07-29-2011, 09:10 AM   #1
j_weenie
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Sedan

Question *** Question on FLUSH INJECTORS servicing ***

Hi guys,

i had another question about my girl's car. She recently took her car in for service at the dealer for her brakes since it's still under warranty. And in the last two services that she's taken her car there, the write-up recommended a service for the flush injectors.

I just wanted to get more detailed information about it and if you guys can give me a little insight as to what is being done and if its necessary. If so, how often does it have to be serviced? Prices? Shops?

Her car is a 328i with approximately 60k miles.

Located between the LA County / Orange County area along the 405 fwy.

Thanks fellow peeps.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 09:16 AM   #2
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
its a great marketing idea to make them hundreds for dumping injector cleaner in the car. get a new dealer
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Or buy a couple of bottles of BMW injector cleaner and be done with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 09:49 AM   #4
iflyjetzzz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
Or buy a couple of bottles of BMW injector cleaner and be done with it.
... which is Chevron Techron with a BMW sticker on the outside of the bottle. The concentrate plus is recommended over Pro-Guard, as it's more concentrated.

If you're going to use fuel injector cleaner, you want to do it close and prior to an oil change, as there will be some contamination to the oil from using the cleaner. Simplified long story short, some of the sediment will be captured by the oil coating on the cylinder walls and get into the oil.

Stepping back and looking at this from the bigger picture, what gas is she using? If the answer's something other than a high quality premium, she needs to start using a good premium fuel. Not regular, not midgrade. Premium.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 02:16 PM   #5
j_weenie
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyjetzzz View Post
... which is Chevron Techron with a BMW sticker on the outside of the bottle. The concentrate plus is recommended over Pro-Guard, as it's more concentrated.

If you're going to use fuel injector cleaner, you want to do it close and prior to an oil change, as there will be some contamination to the oil from using the cleaner. Simplified long story short, some of the sediment will be captured by the oil coating on the cylinder walls and get into the oil.

Stepping back and looking at this from the bigger picture, what gas is she using? If the answer's something other than a high quality premium, she needs to start using a good premium fuel. Not regular, not midgrade. Premium.

Cool, thanks guys.

I was thinking of the same solution (just adding the fuel injector cleaner), but since i'm not too familiar with the way BMW dealers do things, i wanted an outside opinion.

And yes, my girl always used/uses 91 octane.

I appreciate your input guys.

By the way, i was just curious, when you do take the car to the dealer to get it serviced for that, what exactly do they do that makes it so expensive?

Last edited by j_weenie; 07-29-2011 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 05:31 PM   #6
Samuel L Jackson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Coupe

I would only take it to the stealership for warranty/covered service maintenance. You are much better off finding a good independent service shop. Check the regional forums for more info and recommendations.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 06:58 PM   #7
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

I posted this awhile back, but you dont need to change the oil when using chevron, i forgot how many times you can use it before needing to change the oil. This info came from chevrom themselves.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 01:52 PM   #8
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Flush injectors"...???

Either you got the ultra-rare onboard toilet option, or you might mean "fuel injectors"..."
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 12:36 PM   #9
iflyjetzzz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
I posted this awhile back, but you dont need to change the oil when using chevron, i forgot how many times you can use it before needing to change the oil. This info came from chevrom themselves.
Thanks, I dug up your original thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492475

I'm really surprised by this change; the Techron used to specifically have on the label to change the oil after using it. The response from Chevron was that you could use it up to five times between changes; gutsy call. I'd like to see the oil analysis after using it that many times. The components of these cleaners aren't very friendly for oil - they tend to destroy its lubricant properties. Of course that's why they work on removing contaminents from the fuel system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromisdesigns View Post
Flush injectors"...???

Either you got the ultra-rare onboard toilet option, or you might mean "fuel injectors"..."
What? You didn't get the Bidet option?? How barbaric.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #10
j_weenie
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromisdesigns View Post
Flush injectors"...???

Don't worry, i'm aware that i entered 'flush injectors'. The reason for that is because the service papers that my girl was given said that. It stated... something along the lines of "flush injectors service recommended".

So a few days later, my girl brings it to my attention. and i tell her... you mean "fuel injectors"? and she said... no, it says "flush injectors". Little did i know that i was the one at fault cause that's what it said on the paper. Major fail BMW dealer.... major fail.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 03:37 PM   #11
iflyjetzzz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby J's E90 View Post
Don't worry, i'm aware that i entered 'flush injectors'. The reason for that is because the service papers that my girl was given said that. It stated... something along the lines of "flush injectors service recommended".

So a few days later, my girl brings it to my attention. and i tell her... you mean "fuel injectors"? and she said... no, it says "flush injectors". Little did i know that i was the one at fault cause that's what it said on the paper. Major fail BMW dealer.... major fail.
Dude, we all make mistakes.
It's good that you 'fessed up about it. It's even better if you can laugh at yourself about the mistake.
I noticed it but didn't comment; we all knew what you meant. It's all good.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 10:59 PM   #12
queensfield
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i E90

Does chevron fuel injector cleaning affect catalytic converter? I think it says on the bottle that it does not affect oxygen sensors, but I don't recall anything about catalytic converter. Assuming it cleans the fuel injectors, the junk has to go somewhere and so it might end up in the catalytic converter.
Appreciate 0