E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Dent Wizard...

04-14-2012, 11:05 PM   #1
tk9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92

Dent Wizard...

Two issues:

1) they fixed a dent on my passenger door, now when the window goes down it makes a slight clicking noise which stops after the first about 3-4 inches from the top. Going up there is no noise. Should I bring it in to the dealer and have them fix under CPO? Dent wizard says its just the seal catching the window

2) there is a small dent on the panel just behind the passenger door (coupe), to get to that they said they have to drill a hole in the door jamb so that they can get the tool in there to smooth it out... then they will plug the hole.

My good friend (a body guy) said that its not really noticeable (the dent) and that I should leave it alone because drilling in that door jamb area can cause rust in the future... is he correct in his assumption?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 12:10 AM   #2
BimmerCop
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

I had Dent Wizard fix 4 dents on my car a few days ago and their work was outstanding. They did have to drill the small hole in the door jamb but after they plugged it up, it looks like it was there from factory. Very clean work.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 12:40 AM   #3
tk9
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerCop View Post
I had Dent Wizard fix 4 dents on my car a few days ago and their work was outstanding. They did have to drill the small hole in the door jamb but after they plugged it up, it looks like it was there from factory. Very clean work.
IMO they seem to be a little inconsistent. They have done great work for me in the past, but sometimes they are just okay.

What do you think about that whole rust issue with the hole in the door jamb?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 04:44 AM   #4
BimmerCop
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk9 View Post
What do you think about that whole rust issue with the hole in the door jamb?
I think it's blown out of proportion. I don't think rust will be an issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 05:20 AM   #5
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Miss my E92 but love my E46 M3

That's common practice. I had to drill a hole in my rear drivers wheel well behind the fender liner to get at a few dings. It was plugged up and the PDR guy (who I swear is a genius) said he's never seen 1 issue with plugging it.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 08:13 AM   #6
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
I believe it's a franchise, so the quality would vary. I had a protection package (DOH! my then g/f talked me into it) so I could get it done for free at the dealership for 4 years. What I noticed is that they switched vendors over my two PDRs. Both cases, I got the cell numbers for the co. who they sub'd it out to, and the agreement was something like if the dealer charges $120, we'd charge you around $50. In both cases it came out perfect. But now you got me wondering, did they drill and plug, because I had one that was literally almost on the lower-front corner of the driver's door. You can imagine how strong the metal is there in a corner, yet the ding is gone.....
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 08:48 AM   #7
Brian_TII
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 e90 330i 6spd

I'd take it somewhere else. While it is common for pdr places to sometimes drill... It's almost always because they are being lazy. My brother has been in the paintless dent removal business now for years. He does a lot of work on high end cars / exotics. Tell them to pull the door panel.. They do come off.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #8
tk9
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_TII View Post
I'd take it somewhere else. While it is common for pdr places to sometimes drill... It's almost always because they are being lazy. My brother has been in the paintless dent removal business now for years. He does a lot of work on high end cars / exotics. Tell them to pull the door panel.. They do come off.
I have a coupe, no door panel where the dent is..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #9
snowman81
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
My wife has a pretty significant dent just to the left of her tail gate, so I don't know if PDR would even be an option. I'm gonna post some pics...but I'm probably gonna stop by a local Body Shop that some of the other forum guys have recommended. I've heard that if you heat the dent up and then apply dry-ice, that it would pop out. Don't know if I buy that, but I wouldn't want to try it. And it probably only works on bigger dents...maybe like something made by a basketball or something.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #10
Brian_TII
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 e90 330i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk9 View Post
I have a coupe, no door panel where the dent is..
Then you take the interior and / or trunk panels out until you find a good way behind the dent. Some of the tools are 3 - 4 foot long for a reason.

Last edited by Brian_TII; 04-16-2012 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #11
BimmerCop
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman81 View Post
My wife has a pretty significant dent just to the left of her tail gate
Is this in addition to the crack down the middle of her tail gate? Sorry, couldn't resist.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #12
snowman81
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Is this in addition to the crack down the middle of her tail gate? Sorry, couldn't resist.
Nope...just the one. There are some scratches on her rear quarter panel though.
Appreciate 0