E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > any cane corso owners?

08-03-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
Mike_305
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335I

any cane corso owners?

I've done a lot of research, but never had the chance to meet this breed in person. And what I wanted to ask, is what are your expierences with the Cane Corso breed? And I don't want to hear a bunch of "I read off the internet" I could do that also, I'm looking for owners, handlers, or breeders.

I was wondering if this would be a good dog for protection as well as companion. I will be taking the dog to obedience classes and he will be properly socialized. I have owned large dogs all my life....
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #2
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Opened the thread thinking to find:

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
coh4777
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Coupe

Unfortunately I don't have much to add as I'm not familiar with cane corsos, but I was curious about them and after a quick wiki search and came across this gem of a quote:

"Cane Corsos are the dumbest breeds to date, study shows"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cane_Corso

Pretty cool looking dogs tho. Good luck OP!

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
donovan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: R8 - Ford Raptor

I have been around two different Canes a female and male. Male is a bit more relaxed, the female is REALLY fixed on her area of living and master. When you first get the dog you must establish dominance asap. I want a Cane bad, but they are expensive to find here in America and require a good amount of space and exercise.

Hope this helps!

Audi R8 v10
Ford Raptor
m3e46freak@yahoo.comfor all euro parts!!
ebay/craigslist verified/ m3post/e46fanantics/m3forum/zpost/bimmerforum
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 09:55 PM   #5
babydevilj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e46 M3. Z4 3.0i

Cane Corso's are illegal in some states. from experience if you have any other animal or small children in your area i would advise against this dog. Protection wise they are very good.

(not my dog. but an intimadating dog http://www.abouttimecanecorso.com/Ou...os/Photos.html )
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 09:58 PM   #6
matthewk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X6MC, 2022 M5C

Cane Corso, Pressa Canario and Dogo Argentio are all cut from the same cloth. If your idea of being around big dogs your whole life ranges from labs, sheppards and bull mastiffs, it's likely one a Corso might be too much for you.

They're serious dogs for serious dog owners, standard obedience training isn't enough. They need to be "handled" all the time.

That said my experience with all of these dogs, is that they are very loyal and protective animals. They will protect their family to the death if need be but it comes with a lot of responsibility..

Not trying to scare you off, but if it's the look of the dog that attracts you, that's likely not enough, if you're looking to work with a dog for a lifetime then it might be. As a previous poster mentioned, you need to establish dominance early on, if you're not the alpha, your Corso will be.

I would honestly suggest you find a local club and spend months with their dogs before getting one on your own.. You're talking about a dog that is likely one of the most physically and willfully strong there is..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 10:04 PM   #7
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.50]
Old article, but worth a read:

Dog Attacks
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 10:32 PM   #8
matthewk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
Old article, but worth a read:

Dog Attacks
Just about 10 days after the woman also mentioned in that article who was killed by the Presa Canario, I was walking though union square with a presa, people literally were tripping over each other to clear a path so we could walk through.

Sadly, all sorts of people get badly bitten by all sorts of dogs, alligators, sharks, snakes, lions, bears, tigers, monkeys, etc etc etc.. Common factor, their all animals. If you're going to keep the biggest and most powerful as a pet, you need to always be in control.. There's a whole list of dogs which should require some basic training to own. There's a reason so many big powerful breeds get dumped off at shelters, the owners have no clue what their getting themselves into, or worse, when something bad happens there surprised that their little, 150lb fluffy did such a thing..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 10:57 PM   #9
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk View Post
Just about 10 days after the woman also mentioned in that article who was killed by the Presa Canario, I was walking though union square with a presa, people literally were tripping over each other to clear a path so we could walk through.

Sadly, all sorts of people get badly bitten by all sorts of dogs, alligators, sharks, snakes, lions, bears, tigers, monkeys, etc etc etc.. Common factor, their all animals. If you're going to keep the biggest and most powerful as a pet, you need to always be in control.. There's a whole list of dogs which should require some basic training to own. There's a reason so many big powerful breeds get dumped off at shelters, the owners have no clue what their getting themselves into, or worse, when something bad happens there surprised that their little, 150lb fluffy did such a thing..
The lady (Diane Whipple) was killed by two Presa Canarios, and was one of the biggest stories around here. Interesting read at Wikipedia: Diane Whipple

A coworker was walking his dog and got attacked by a Pit Bull. His dog ran away and was never seen again. My friend suffered a few puncture wounds in his arm and hand. Luckily, the Pit Bull stopped attacking after the other dog ran away.

Here's a list (from Wikipedia) of people killed by dogs from 2005 through 2011: Wikipedia Fatal Dog attacks Read some of the circumstances. You'll want to cry.

Last edited by MadDog; 08-03-2011 at 11:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 06:28 AM   #10
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Unless you live on an estate with a large wall surrounding the property, this isn't the right dog for you.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 11:24 AM   #11
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

I don't see why people want these type dogs anyways, penis enlargers I guess. Either that or he is a short guy, hints the gixxer.
      08-04-2011, 12:53 PM   #12
Mike_305
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
I don't see why people want these type dogs anyways, penis enlargers I guess. Either that or he is a short guy, hints the gixxer.
I have always liked mastiff type of dogs.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 12:58 PM   #13
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I also like army tanks but that doesn't mean I should drive one to work every day. They are meant to be guard dogs on estate-type properties. What type of residence do you live in? If it's an apartment or condo I would scratch this breed right of your list and if it's a house on less than an acre I would certainly look elsewhere.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 01:00 PM   #14
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I also like army tanks but that doesn't mean I should drive one to work every day. They are meant to be guard dogs on estate-type properties. What type of residence do you live in? If it's an apartment or condo I would scratch this breed right of your list and if it's a house on less than an acre I would certainly look elsewhere.
      08-04-2011, 05:49 PM   #15
slo_guy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
They are meant to be guard dogs on estate-type properties. What type of residence do you live in? If it's an apartment or condo I would scratch this breed right of your list and if it's a house on less than an acre I would certainly look elsewhere.
You couldn't be more wrong. Having a gigantic area is more of a "nice-to-have" than it is a requirement to own this dog. The first question most of the breeders will ask potential owners is whether or not it will be allowed in the house. These are people dogs and they are the most comfortable when they are amongst their owners. I didn't quite have a cane corso, but I had a bull mastiff. We had a small house and yard, and he was always wherever we were. He never exhibited negative behavior. I had two other friends that had mastiffs as well, they both had cane corsos, and they too were treated the same in the same environments.

Quote:
They are great dogs...super loyal and protective. And they don't mind getting thrown around and tackled. Not all people enjoy the annoying yip of rats..errrrrrr...chihuahuas like yourself.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 12:05 PM   #16
matthewk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_guy View Post
I didn't quite have a cane corso, but I had a bull mastiff.
Bull Mastiff vs. Cane Corso is about as different as a slingshot and a Desert Eagle .50... Really...

Cane Corso is a great dog, my only point here is that it's not a dog like a Bull Mastiff that's easy to manage. A Cane Corso requires diligent training and ownership, left to it's own devices it can become quite dangerous. While the comparison above, left on it's own (and this is simply based upon my own experience) a Bull Mastiff would rather just sleep.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 01:03 PM   #17
Mike_305
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I talked to a breeder in Ohio he said the are very athletic compared to other mastiffs.

I want a male like this one.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #18
matthewk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxermike750 View Post
I talked to a breeder in Ohio he said the are very athletic compared to other mastiffs.

I want a male like this one.
No offense intended, but unless you have someone that's going to dedicate a lot of time to mentor you, sadly I think you have little idea what you're going to be getting yourself into with that animal... Best of luck to you and your pup..

Oh and please don't cut its ears, no opinion on docking it's tail it's not really an area that's sensitive to an animal, but leave the ears alone please.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 02:43 PM   #19
Mike_305
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk View Post
No offense intended, but unless you have someone that's going to dedicate a lot of time to mentor you, sadly I think you have little idea what you're going to be getting yourself into with that animal... Best of luck to you and your pup..

Oh and please don't cut its ears, no opinion on docking it's tail it's not really an area that's sensitive to an animal, but leave the ears alone please.
Yes I know they are powerful dominant dogs.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #20
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
So in the end it really never mattered what our opinion was?

Appreciate 0