E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > DCT shifters on Steptronic wheel, retrofit

04-18-2011, 10:29 AM   #1
Maxicooper
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

DCT shifters on Steptronic wheel, retrofit

Will the DCT shifters fit on '08 Steptronic w/ paddle wheel?

04-18-2011, 11:51 AM   #2
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 GMC Yukon XL

as far as i know its a direct swap... but not 100%
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 12:02 PM   #3
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

the holes on the back of your steptronic wheel will be too big

other than that, they fit fine from what i've read
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
pepsih
Captain
Rep
Drives: f02, e24

Can someone confirm that ?
other than the hole issue is it PNP?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #5
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Plug and play. If it takes more than 30 minutes, don't ever do anything technical again.

Did the upgrade on my car in 15 minutes. It really is that easy.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 08:15 PM   #6
pepsih
Captain
Rep

LoL ok ;P i will have my m3 dct steering wheel soon
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 01:49 AM   #7
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsih View Post
LoL ok ;P i will have my m3 dct steering wheel soon
So did you get a DCT wheel? In your OP you ask if DCT paddles will work in a steptronic wheel - which to me, means a wheel made for the SSG paddles

IDK, what your guys idea of PnP is, but putting DCT paddles in a SSG wheel is not MY idea of PnP.

The paddle cutouts in the SSG wheels are L-shaped, & the way the wheel is formed around the cutouts is different then the DCT wheel - which has rectangular cutouts and different form.

Yes, they will 'physically' bolt to the wheel, but to get them to fit right you need to trim the wheel, and even after that the paddles may stick out further back away from the wheel toward your dash.

If this doesn't bother you, then fine. But I wouldn't be hacking at a new wheel just to get incorrect paddles to fit - I'd buy the correct wheel to begin with...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 05:35 AM   #8
pepsih
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
So did you get a DCT wheel? In your OP you ask if DCT paddles will work in a steptronic wheel - which to me, means a wheel made for the SSG paddles

IDK, what your guys idea of PnP is, but putting DCT paddles in a SSG wheel is not MY idea of PnP.

The paddle cutouts in the SSG wheels are L-shaped, & the way the wheel is formed around the cutouts is different then the DCT wheel - which has rectangular cutouts and different form.

Yes, they will 'physically' bolt to the wheel, but to get them to fit right you need to trim the wheel, and even after that the paddles may stick out further back away from the wheel toward your dash.

If this doesn't bother you, then fine. But I wouldn't be hacking at a new wheel just to get incorrect paddles to fit - I'd buy the correct wheel to begin with...
Ok maybe there is a misunderstood.
I currently have a SSG steering wheel that i want to replace with an DCT sterering wheel (wheel and paddles) but i need to keep the buttons from the sport steering wheel because de M3 one has an M button on the right hand side.And im wondering if it's direct swap.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 06:12 AM   #9
Bavarian Black
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 335i MS

Quote:
Ok maybe there is a misunderstood.
I currently have a SSG steering wheel that i want to replace with an DCT sterering wheel (wheel and paddles) but i need to keep the buttons from the sport steering wheel because de M3 one has an M button on the right hand side.And im wondering if it's direct swap.
I have the SSG wheel and I can tell you now it's not a direct fit bc my freind tries it . It needs a retro fit at a pro CBMW shop . If you replace the entire SW, you will lose some of your SSG buttons and ECU will have some issues communicating.

Personally, I love having the ability to use one paddle to shift up and down ESP when turning corners.

I wish you the best of luck in your project.

BB
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 07:16 AM   #10
pepsih
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Black View Post
I have the SSG wheel and I can tell you now it's not a direct fit bc my freind tries it . It needs a retro fit at a pro CBMW shop . If you replace the entire SW, you will lose some of your SSG buttons and ECU will have some issues communicating.

Personally, I love having the ability to use one paddle to shift up and down ESP when turning corners.

I wish you the best of luck in your project.

BB
I know me you i love the fact that i can shit up and down with one paddle, last time i was drivine a car without this feature and it piss me off ;P
but the fact that i have to trim the m3 steering wheel piss me off too.
I still need to think about, i have a month because my brother from EUROPE will bring me the steering wheel
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 04:12 AM   #11
Bavarian Black
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 335i MS

Smile

Quote:
I know me you i love the fact that i can shit up and down with one paddle, last time i was drivine a car without this feature and it piss me off ;P
but the fact that i have to trim the m3 steering wheel piss me off too.
I still need to think about, i have a month because my brother from EUROPE will bring me the steering wheel
I feel you bro. I suggest you do a bit more research during the time your steering wheel arrives. Get in touch with a slick Indy shop and ask for advice...after all advice is free just like this great forum and that way you can ascertain what's ahead of you during the month ahead.

Once again,
Good luck
08 335i MSPORT & PR PKG/aFe St2 DCI/AA BOV kit +DP/SprintBooster Stage 2/Avant Garde 19 rims/ HNK V12 Pro Tires/BMS Wheel Spacers/ E92 M F n B kit incl blk kidney grills and sensors/Afe mach Exhaust. M3 skirts, DNA map 3
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 04:54 PM   #12
realazy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i LCI

It's plug and play and bolts right on. The holes for SSG is slightly bigger, but it really isnt noticable and it's on the back so you never see it.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 05:15 PM   #13
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

The OP asked a specific question and someone hijacked the thread. The answer to the original question is yes pnp. Like I said and the post above. Whatever people are talking about other than DCT paddles going into a regular 335 steptronic wheel is outside the original question.
Appreciate 0