E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Glow plug connector removal 330d lci e93

06-09-2018, 03:28 PM   #1
rickj
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90

Glow plug connector removal 330d lci e93

Hi everyone I was hoping to renew my glow plug module for preventative measure before it plays up .After looking at other threads but non on e93 I can confirm it's a nightmare to remove in particular the larger oval connector .I can remove the smaller one and bolts are fairly accessible but the larger one won't budge and I don't want to damage connector anymore than I have !!
As we know there is no room to get a good hold on it so any ideas on shifting it off .The casing has no give in it so can't squeeze the thing .
Why bmw thought it a good idea to use this connection on something so unrealible and so hidden is beyond belief .
Any help greatful received .Have a great weekend.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 09:54 AM   #2
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 320D ES

I feel your frustration. I did it earlier this week and it was not easy. Did you get yours off?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 04:50 PM   #3
rickj
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadaska View Post
I feel your frustration. I did it earlier this week and it was not easy. Did you get yours off?
No buddy .I was starting to damage one side of connector on the larger of the 2 so left alone .Car runs 100% but due to other members saying it's a very common fault I thought I would change it whilst weather good.Just don't get why bmw thought to hide the module and then use a connector you can't release .It was just the larger connector I couldn't budge as other came off ok and bolts were easy to access .
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 05:17 PM   #4
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 320D ES

Did you undo the bolts and remove the controller so you can get it a bit closer? Once it was just hanging on the wires I could get both of my hands in there and just kept pressing on the clips and pulling. I would rest my hands and pull again. Took me many tried before it just went pop. It just gave and popped out.

Mine is a different car mind you so you might have some differences in access space.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 12:07 PM   #5
Styvy
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 330D LCI

I managed to snap off cylinder 5 glow plug.
The car runs fine. My advise if do it while its very hot. preferable after a lap 3 on racecourse LOL.
The controller can still be accesses but pain to get to.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 09:58 AM   #6
sirleeofroy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D M-Sport LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styvy View Post
I managed to snap off cylinder 5 glow plug.
The car runs fine. My advise if do it while its very hot. preferable after a lap 3 on racecourse LOL.
The controller can still be accesses but pain to get to.
He's only talking about the Glow Plug controller, I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to be putting his hands in there with a hot engine!!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 08:47 AM   #7
rickj
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirleeofroy View Post
He's only talking about the Glow Plug controller, I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to be putting his hands in there with a hot engine!!
Correct my friend just the controller .I tried both ways with connector unbolted and with it on .It's impossible to pinch the sides as the plastic is solid with no give in it .It also gives little extra clearance once unbolted . Apparently you should push connection forward slightly before pulling back to release ..yeh right cheers Bmw for buying in shite controllers then fitting them in the worst place possible .
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 11:52 AM   #8
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw E91 lci 330d msport

Precisely why I chose not to tackle mine myself! I looked at it and just thought fuck that. Got my mechanic mate to do it for £20. After about 20mins of fumbling about, he had the old one out and the new one in!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 02:43 AM   #9
rickj
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick46 View Post
Precisely why I chose not to tackle mine myself! I looked at it and just thought fuck that. Got my mechanic mate to do it for £20. After about 20mins of fumbling about, he had the old one out and the new one in!
Yes exactly .If bmw had used a connector with say a sliding arm to secure I would say 30 mins to change .instead it's a connector locked on with 2 wedge like lumps of plastic ! .
Maybe German engineering in this case is not all its cracked up to be
Appreciate 0