E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > carly or foxwell nt510 (or other)

06-20-2018, 03:34 PM   #1
Arch Stanton
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i touring

carly or foxwell nt510 (or other)

I had a new battery that will need coding to the car (higher rating) and a few little coding jobs to look at and fault codes to read/clear, what is the best option? I know Carly is an easy to use interface but their new subscription business model has annoyed me (petty i know).

How easy to use is the Foxwell nt510 compared to the Carly kit?

I have a cable from BMtecnic that I have never used but if that can be used with INPA software is that a user friendly option?

Thanks in advance for any advice
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 04:46 PM   #2
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

carly better for coding..foxwell better for diagnostics,,also carly is a yearly fee now,,foxwell will do battery as will carly..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 03:17 AM   #3
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Graphite E93 335i

I would vote for an INPA "suite" (for coding you need to use NCS Expert or NCS Dummy since INPA is predominantly for diagnostics and sensor parameter settings and the like) every time in terms of what you can do with it. The only problem being you need a laptop handy to use it and unless you source the software from somewhere that provides foolproof instructions on how to install it many people claim it is a real PITA to install although I did not have an issue.

Oh! You might need to learn some German words too as some versions of INPA are not in English.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 03:23 AM   #4
Zarrachan
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series (E90)

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdb1 View Post
I would vote for an INPA "suite" (for coding you need to use NCS Expert or NCS Dummy since INPA is predominantly for diagnostics and sensor parameter settings and the like) every time in terms of what you can do with it. The only problem being you need a laptop handy to use it and unless you source the software from somewhere that provides foolproof instructions on how to install it many people claim it is a real PITA to install although I did not have an issue.

Oh! You might need to learn some German words too as some versions of INPA are not in English.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 05:23 AM   #5
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

ive tried the bm cables etc,,could i fuck get them to download and work,,although i was trying on windows 7/8 etc \and the old XP is easier so ive read..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 07:32 AM   #6
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Graphite E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
i was trying on windows 7/8 etc \and the old XP is easier so ive read..
Yeah! Probably best to run in XP compatability mode if using a later OS.
I got a version from good old eBay that was "guaranteed" to run on Windows 10 and following the suppliers instructions it does, much to my surprise.
Appreciate 0