E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > recommend a tool set

01-28-2013, 08:07 PM   #1
Neothin87
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 335i

recommend a tool set

I'm looking at picking up a set of tools for around the garage. I'm pretty handy around the garage + house, but i've always borrowed tools from friends and I want to have a complete set of my own. Where can i go to find a set that won't break on me after a couple of uses? I have around $500 to spend
      01-28-2013, 09:50 PM   #2
DetailAddict
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i

get some good 6 pt deep and short socket set. I find I mostly use 3/8 drive. get a good torque wrench and a breaker bar. extensions of different lengths as well as some good u-joints. torx bits will come in handy as well.

if you have access to snap-on/matco, they are always nice in quality. but i find my craftsman working just fine. some of the items i don't use too frequent or under much force during use, i don't mine harbor freight.

Last edited by DetailAddict; 01-28-2013 at 09:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

^+1 on the tool choices. For general non pro use Craftsman, Kobalt ot Gear Wrench are plenty and have solid warranties. If you plan on working on imports especially Euros Torx bits are a must. Get a screwdriver set as well, same mfger as above. get at least a couple magnitized ones.
My son is a tech for a living and only Matco/Snapon stuff he buys are impact items and torque wrenches, the rest is craftsman and it holds up day in and day out.
Could check Craigslist as there's always someone dumping tools and boxes for cheap.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #4
Neothin87
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 335i

looks like i need to take a trip to sears this weekend. do they usually have all their tool sets in store or will online be my best bet?
      01-31-2013, 01:47 AM   #5
DSB335d
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neothin87
looks like i need to take a trip to sears this weekend. do they usually have all their tool sets in store or will online be my best bet?
Depends on the size of your local store. I would browse online and make your purchase in store. Also side note Kmart is owned by Sears now so you may find some deals there as well.
Myself I used to be an automotive tech and 99% of my stuff is MAC including tool chest and cart, and just a handful of Snap-on.

$500 will get you a pretty decent craftsman starter set. It all depends on what you really need, and what you plan on doing. Spending all of that on a starter kit, may have a bunch of junk in that kit you will never need or want. $200-$300 may get you a decent starter kit and spend the rest on specialty items like a multi-meter or torque wrench; or some good ramps and drain pan to do your own oil changes etc..
Appreciate 0