E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 335i and my new Eurobahn Turbo Tunner

03-27-2007, 02:54 PM   #1
Raggie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93 325I M Sport

335i and my new Eurobahn Turbo Tunner

Now this is not an avertisment, but there was a thread a while back asking about chipping an 335i.

Well not wanting to wait for a possible flash, or the risks of that being found by BMW, I orderd a Turbo Tuner from Eurobhan, and I think I may be the first to fit one in the UK

The cost for this has came in at a little under £300 delivered to my door, but this was at the group buy rate they organised on Bimmer forums, and I'm not sure if that is still availale.

The Product:

Much discussion has taken place on the Turbo Tuner vs the PROcede, and some very interesting points have been raised regarding the elegance of the PROcede tuning vs the one/two hit of the Turbo Tuner.

I have read those posts with interest, and I like to think I understand a little of which has been said on the for & against side.

I come from a background where the only tuning I have done had consisted on sticking a different ratio gearbox onto “Kent” engine fords, changing out the Exhausts and fitting bigger jets to the carbs, changing the airfilter etc.. so while a appreciate the concerns regarding the basic tuning nature of the TT when I think back to the brut force of the tuning of my youth, and the way those engines took the beating, only to spend their last days upside down in a ditch somewhere, I am not worried about the possible risks to an engine being over fuelled at the very top of its rev range where it will spend very little of its life.

But this is an uneducated risk on my side....

The Car:

335I with 900 miles on the clock. (yes more miles would be better but why wait)

The car is fitted with Automatic Transmission.

Having just completed a 225 mile run back from my office, I left the car to stand for the PCM to go to sleep mode before commencing fitting.

Fitting:

Very simple one to fit, only issue was after locating the T-Map connector... in removing the existing connector my enthusiasm meant I broke off the retaining tab.

I do not believe this will be an issue as the connector is a very snug fit and is very very unlikely to work loose.

After installation the car showed no error codes.

Operational:

Oil Temp : much discussion has taken place on the 335i operating temp, I have been watching the normal temp, during a sustained 225mile motorway (freeway) run over 3.5hours the car was running at a sustained 80mph showing an oil temp of 110 Deg C.

After fitting the Turbo Tuner and some very spirited driving I noted the temp increased to 120 Deg C, however under normal driving conditions it returned back to 110 Deg C.

Now the cars handbook describes normal operating at between 70-170 Deg C, so I am not concerned about this for now.

This test was conducted over only 40 miles, so I will be monitoring this over me next run to see how the TT changes oil temp under normal driving.

Driving:

In “D” I noticed no change in the performance.

In “DS” the car came alive with noticeable increase in pull over 4.5K revs.

In “Manual” its fantastic, good hard pull round to the redline.

Ok, so I’ve only done 900 miles, but I had never noticed a delay in the Auto box changing up before, it did seem to be a little slower, possibly because its revving up quicker.

Yes this does extenuate the turbo lag, in manual/DS modes, but I like that I laid out £34K ($66K) for a 3L twin turbo car, and its nice to feel and hear them at last.

Dyno:

Now the only measurement I can give is a “butt” perspective but the TT makes the 335i more like the turbo cars of my youth with a kick in the pants, as the turbo starts to spin, and a push you back into the seat. ( Iwas holding on to the wheel rather tight at one point.. lol)

I have looked at the options for a dyno run, now my local company can only handle cars up to 250 wrhp, I have found a company about an hour from my home that could do before/afters for me, but they want the best part of £250 ($490) for the rental of the dyno and an operator, a price I’m not going to pay.

If nayone in the UK can point me to a cheap/acurate Dyno I'd love to get the figures the car is putting out now.

Finally any guys in the UK want to see the TT in action or even fit it for a run in their car I’m sure this could be possible, if you ask nice..lol

Sorry for the long posts guys, but I wanted to provide a comprehensive review so others can use this to make an infomred decision.

Rags.

Last edited by Raggie; 03-27-2007 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2007, 12:04 PM   #2
Jeff@Eurobahn.us
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: European

Talking First London Install

Glad you are having fun and hey keep your hands on that wheel

Jeff
Eurobahn
Appreciate 0