E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > JB4 Code Help

05-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #1
Pourky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i / E46 M3

JB4 Code Help

Hey all,

I was driving on the freeway, was in 5th gear. Deceided to get on it and go WOT... few seconds later, my check engine light popped up on the dash and the car wouldn't allow me to give any gas but the motor was still running in gear. While my check engine was still on the dash was going wild, the speedometer/rpm needles were going back and forth.

I pulled over on the freeway, turn off the car, wait about 5 seconds... turn the car back on and everything was back in working order and seemed ok. I did a little research and there might be some kind of misfire, or needs coilpacks/injectors.

Now I was told to contact Terry and he should be able to help me out. I am local in the area as well, near Simi Valley but he wasn't really helpful, except just telling me to read the codes and send it his way, after I explained several times that UNFORTUNATELY I am not very savy when it comes to the JB4 upgrade because it came with the car, so I wasn't familiar with how to pull codes etc. All I do know is that I have it USB hardwired to the glove box to read codes. But he wouldn't help me much still after, and wouldn't respond to me really when it came to coming by the BurgerTuning shop for assistance.

So, is there anyone local in the SFV/Valencia/Burbank/Sherman Oaks/etc. area that can help me with this?? I would appreciate it and can take care of you for your services as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
Pourky
First Lieutenant
Rep

Also, I am running a 2007 335i with JB4 on Map 5, DPs, DCI, Turner Exhaust. Any help is appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Hopefully you get some help, but if you have a Windows laptop, it's not difficult to read the codes since the USB cable is already there. This should point you in the right direction: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...21&postcount=1

Most auto stores also read codes if you want an answer asap. More than likely it's a misfire in one or more cylinders: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631829

Best thing to do is just get a new set of plugs (like $80) and when you replace them, swap any coil packs of the misfiring cylinders with a cylinder that is fine.
      05-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
scrufy
Zoom Zoom This
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Short Bus

You'll find out when you read the codes for sure but--
Just fyi, that sounds like limp mode to me.
I had that exact scenario for a few days while I was on a trip up north.
Car would go into limp mode, turn it off and back on. then fine. Giving WOT would cause it to return, but not everytime.
Mine turned out to be VANOS once I had time to look into it (and was back home).
There are a few things that cause Limp. I don't think the JB4 is one of them.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
PR3CI5N
need4speed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i

It's just limp mode, don't stress out. Hold down your steering wheel volume control and channel control. Then move your speedo to 1 and your tach to 3, then press down on the volume button to save. This will enable auto clear mode for your codes. So if the CEL/limp mode comes on again, your JB4 will automatically delete the code after about 10 seconds and you'll have 100% power again. Hope this helps.
      05-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
PR3CI5N
need4speed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i

Since you don't know much about the JB4, check out this thread. It will literally tell you everything you need to know about this tune. Check out the excel sheet about half way down after the videos to see what each speedo/tach setting consists of.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10605
      05-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #7
Pourky
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinrock View Post
Hopefully you get some help, but if you have a Windows laptop, it's not difficult to read the codes since the USB cable is already there. This should point you in the right direction: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...21&postcount=1

Most auto stores also read codes if you want an answer asap. More than likely it's a misfire in one or more cylinders: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631829

Best thing to do is just get a new set of plugs (like $80) and when you replace them, swap any coil packs of the misfiring cylinders with a cylinder that is fine.
I will go ahead and do that tonight. I do have a Windows laptop so I will follow the instructions on the link given and connect into to the USB, and see what I codes I can read from it. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrufy View Post
You'll find out when you read the codes for sure but--
Just fyi, that sounds like limp mode to me.
I had that exact scenario for a few days while I was on a trip up north.
Car would go into limp mode, turn it off and back on. then fine. Giving WOT would cause it to return, but not everytime.
Mine turned out to be VANOS once I had time to look into it (and was back home).
There are a few things that cause Limp. I don't think the JB4 is one of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3CI5N View Post
It's just limp mode, don't stress out. Hold down your steering wheel volume control and channel control. Then move your speedo to 1 and your tach to 3, then press down on the volume button to save. This will enable auto clear mode for your codes. So if the CEL/limp mode comes on again, your JB4 will automatically delete the code after about 10 seconds and you'll have 100% power again. Hope this helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3CI5N View Post
Since you don't know much about the JB4, check out this thread. It will literally tell you everything you need to know about this tune. Check out the excel sheet about half way down after the videos to see what each speedo/tach setting consists of.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10605
Wow! Thanks guys... this is the most information I received about my issue. That does make sense actually with it going into LIMP Mode. That is pretty much what would happen when it went into LIMP Mode and once I turn the car back on it is back in good running condition. I will go ahead and read up on the links given as well as clear the codes.

Thanks for your help! I wasn't definitely a little concerned but will go ahead and read the codes as well. Appreciate it!
Appreciate 0