E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Confession of how much profit a BMW salesman really make....

09-22-2006, 10:51 PM   #67
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

One of my best friends is a salesman at a benz dealership (Midtown), he's been there a little over four years. He said his earnings in the first two years were only so-so (I assume that means about 50-60k in this area), he said last year he was taxed on 101k and was happy with that. I don't know if this is indicative of other salespeople in this area, but it would not surprise me. Toronto is an expensive city. He also gets a business car - it's basically a demo they all pass around, so he's in a new one like every 3-4 months which is cool. He just gave back his CLS500, which was pretty sweet.

FWIW, he worked for 12 years at a Dodge dealership and really didn't like it much. He made "ok" money, but he said the environment was a lot more hostile with management, and the clinetelle were...well, not the best, in general. He's been very happy since his move to MB, afaik.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2006, 01:51 AM   #68
DrRT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
Man, with that kinda money, when the time comes for my E90, I'm going in that dealership with battle armor and a spiked mace cause we're going at it.
Yep, as always everyone makes more than twice the money I do and with one-third the education.

Screw this, death to all dealers.

0 car accidents
provoked 4 other cars to crash
pulled over by cops 12 times
2 tickets!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2006, 08:20 AM   #69
Brett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2000 BMW 323 CiC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRT
Yep, as always everyone makes more than twice the money I do and with one-third the education.
You must be a research assistant

-Brett
      09-23-2006, 10:50 AM   #70
JIMD1709
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 328 Coupe Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRT

Screw this, death to all dealers.

This happens in almost any field in life!! Education does not always mean income. Sales is a tough field, I have been at it for 11 years. I am in management now, but I certainly expect my sales professionals to make at least $60K. If the are happy with less, I don't think they have the drive to be in the business. Doesn't make them bad people, just not cut out for commission sales. As was said earlier, commissions for luxury cars are based on profit, usually 20%. However, there is a "flat" or minimum of usually $200. Old age units can bring as much as $1000 flat. Used cars typically pay 30%. Also, there is a volume bonus, $1000 for dong 10 units, $1500 for 15, and so on. They also get a percentage of the "back-end" or any finance, warranty, insurance, ect. BMW also contributes spiffs for certain models during the year end close, generally $200 to $400. Also, I gave $125 for every perfect CSI survey they recieved. It all adds up to a nice salary if they are good at what they do! If they are new, and just starting I will pay them a "guarranty" salary of around $3500 for thier first few months.

Death to dealers? It's funny that you say that....buying a car wouldn't, and shouldn't be hard. It's actually the car consumer that drives the business to be the way they are! Some people want to just go to battle, and assume that the dealer is the "bad guy". If dealers ever go away, so would everyones power to negotiate, you pay what is listed on the car. This has been discussed in inner circles of the business. Is that what the general public wants? I doubt it. Not from my experience, which like I said, is pretty lengthy. At any rate, I have a degree, and I don't need one, but it was not wasted. I just wanted more out of my life. I always have, and I don't mind working hard to achieve great things for my family and myself. Based on everyones vehicle choice, I think that is common on this forum! It's not for everyone, granted. But, please let's not be so ignorant as to think we are all bad people, just because we make "too much money". What is too much money for what you do?? $250 to $500K doesn't seem realistic, but $100K, not unlikely. OK, flame away!

Last edited by JIMD1709; 09-23-2006 at 11:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2006, 11:10 AM   #71
GoBonesGo
What do you do when you see a spaceman?
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG/Terra E90 335i Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atty
$250-500k/yr is not that uncommon either.
Yeah, your local car dealership is staffed with millionares. That's why being a car saleman is such a sought-after goal.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2006, 11:13 AM   #72
Brett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2000 BMW 323 CiC

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35_2_330
Yeah, your local car dealership is staffed with millionares. That's why being a car saleman is such a sought-after goal.
Keep in mind this comment was from an attorney. I assume he thinks 250k is the poverty line

-Brett
      09-23-2006, 11:15 AM   #73
SapphireBlackG01
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 X3, Formerly ‘06 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35_2_330
LOL!
Guy #1: "Hanz, I know zee window switches have always been next to zee shifter in zee 3er cars, but I think ve should move them to zee door!"
Guy #2: "But zee doors are already designed and ve do not have time to re-design them!"
Guy #1: "Just make it verk or you vill be verking over at VW!"
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2006, 11:29 AM   #74
Pedal2Floor
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Euro Delivery Fall 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMD1709
But, please let's not be so ignorant as to think we are all bad people, just because we make "too much money". What is too much money for what you do?? OK, flame away!
I don't believe the majority of people have a problem with the sales people making money. I also do not believe that if the dealers went away prices would go higher because the market will drive the price. Demand will go up and down and so will the price.

The issue that people have with dealers is all the shady crap that goes on.

For example, check around the boards for people who have done ED. If the dealer is not suppose to charge MACO and the dealer is not suppose to charge a training fee for an ED car why do so many dealer throw that into the price? It sets up a situation of buyer be aware because you will get screwed at every turn if you don't do your homework. That creates the animosity and makes people say "dealers are bad". Too many dealers are not up front and try to weasel stuff in like unnecessary undercoats or accessories just to drive the price up instead of letting the consumer decide. There are far too many finance and leasing scams regarding dealers. The State Attorney General of Maine even put up a separate web site warning people of all the scams because it was getting out of control and spent most of last year beating back the dealers. There are so many games with MF and other tricks it makes the buyer-seller relationship sour. Everyone has seen the Dateline, 20/20 and 60 min. pieces on auto scams or read them in the paper. These problems are pervasive.

You can say, hey a guy has got to make a buck -- no arguments -- the problem is too many dealers try to lie, steal and cheat a buck far too often which is why so many dealers have a bad rep.

The other issue is far too often after the sale; too many dealers don't bother to return your calls when there is a problem. Hey, I got your money what do I need you for anymore.

So, this all sets up a situation where the consumer feels like he is being taken as soon as you step on the lot -- and in many cases you are as the article from Edmunds clearly states. Given that impression, people feel like the dealer/sales person should get screwed.

That said, JIMD1709 I have no idea who you are or how you deal in your sales. If you don't do the underhanded shady things, them you are victim of the industry and your brethren in sales that do and you all get lumped together because the auto industry as a whole is considered a dirty place for good reason and until they clean up their act it will remain that way and the attitudes will remain. There are far fewer good dealers/sales people than there are bad ones and while you may believe this to be opposite I believe that it is true because of the online complaints and reports to the BBB that everyone can view online. You may say that people only come online to complain -- well there is certainly a butt load of people complaining and they can't be coming from just one dealer!

And when we are finished with the sales side, we can have another argument on another thread about the crappy service departments.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2006, 11:46 AM   #75
JIMD1709
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 328 Coupe Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedal2Floor
That said, JIMD1709 I have no idea who you are or how you deal in your sales. If you don't do the underhanded shady things, them you are victim of the industry and your brethren in sales that do and you all get lumped together because the auto industry as a whole is considered a dirty place for good reason and until they clean up their act it will remain that way and the attitudes will remain.
You have no argument from me there! It is downright embarrassing, some of the things that go on. All I know is this, I will not work for a Company that does those type of things.

I have remained in this business because I like it. I like dealing with people, I love BMW, and I have a lot of fun, while making a good living. I have had numerous clients to my own home, and regularly get cards and invitations to functions of some of my clients, I have never been a "grinder", not my style.

If you PM me, I can give you my name, and by doing a google search you will find it listed all over BMW message boards. Not one negative, that I am proud of.

I truly wish my industry didn't have such a bad rap. But, all I can do is try and make a difference in my dealings with the public. Being a manager now, I can make a bigger difference, I think. I will always do my best to treat everyone fairly, and with respect. That is the way I want to be treated, so that is how I handle issues. Do the right thing, and there's never a regret.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2006, 12:04 PM   #76
DrRT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett
You must be a research assistant

-Brett
Close, but no. If I were still a research assistant I would make one-fifth the salary of a dealer.

Man academia sucks arse.

0 car accidents
provoked 4 other cars to crash
pulled over by cops 12 times
2 tickets!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2006, 05:03 PM   #77
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

My parents have always wondered why I havnt gone into vehicle sales...

My step-bro runs a buy here pay here lot, I just cant do that to people...

If I was able to pick a dealership, I'd pick BMW or something fun. No high-volume high-pressure dealerships...

I still dont think they make that much though, thats rediculous...

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2006, 09:51 PM   #78
StevoSEA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i(SA) TiAg/Blk ZSP 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
in CA they'd have to be making 6 figures,

or they'll be eating top ramen and living in a cardboard box
stupid expensive California (not like I'd consider leaving though)
for sure!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #79
Das_Stig
I don't drink water. Fish fuck in it.
Rep
Drives: e90 335xi
Location: Some say he naturally faces magnetic north, and that all of his legs are hydraulic...

i feel like sales reps should just be replaced by automatons. i find then annoying and unnecessary..

i'll pay the msrp but i dont want to hear the ramblings of an uneducated circus monkey.

oem blacklines, m3 rep front. waiting for install oem m3 sides... coming soon. csl trunk mtech rear and more.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #80
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

VERY OLD THREAD

I guess what's old is truly new again. LOL

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #81
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xens View Post
Wow didn't know car salesmen are that rich.
They aren't & factoring in the hours worked not especially well paid.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #82
Myrder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i MSport 6MT LMB

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #83
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das_Stig View Post
i feel like sales reps should just be replaced by automatons. i find then annoying and unnecessary..

i'll pay the msrp but i dont want to hear the ramblings of an uneducated circus monkey.
dude, awesome 7 year old thread bump.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #84
ad500
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335

Aged thread bump for sure lol

Although, looking at some of the posts regarding opinions of dealers vs letting anyone sell you a car (costco, walmart, sears or similar I'm assuming) id rather have local networks of car dealers to view different inventories, haggle and pit against each other etc than to have to deal with some large corporation.

Not convinced id want to buy my next BMW from a guy earning $8 an hour.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 01:37 PM   #85
Das_Stig
Rep
Location: Some say he naturally faces magnetic north, and that all of his legs are hydraulic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
dude, awesome 7 year old thread bump.
lol i know, that what you get for showing up in my search for something completely unrelated also im training for time travel and visiting the past is research

oem blacklines, m3 rep front. waiting for install oem m3 sides... coming soon. csl trunk mtech rear and more.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #86
Das_Stig
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad500 View Post
Aged thread bump for sure lol

Although, looking at some of the posts regarding opinions of dealers vs letting anyone sell you a car (costco, walmart, sears or similar I'm assuming) id rather have local networks of car dealers to view different inventories, haggle and pit against each other etc than to have to deal with some large corporation.

Not convinced id want to buy my next BMW from a guy earning $8 an hour.
meh, i wouldn't care if i bought it off amazon if i got to test drive it and give it a once over before i commit, do you think a guy making 8 bucks an hour is any less qualified?

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #87
ad500
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das_Stig View Post
meh, i wouldn't care if i bought it off amazon if i got to test drive it and give it a once over before i commit, do you think a guy making 8 bucks an hour is any less qualified?
Depends on what you want from them.

Processing the payment for a car you've chosen yourself, probably not. Anything that requires them to give much of a crap regarding the average persons 2nd largest purchase - that would be very open to debate.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #88
Das_Stig
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad500 View Post
Depends on what you want from them.

Processing the payment for a car you've chosen yourself, probably not. Anything that requires them to give much of a crap regarding the average persons 2nd largest purchase - that would be very open to debate.
guy who works at mcds probably has about the same amount of training and education, what is there really for them to give a crap about?
really feel a the configurator on the website at a kiosk would give me a much better result, with less annoyance.

Appreciate 0