E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Your worst DIY mistake?

04-14-2014, 09:17 AM   #45
hockeyplayer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, 2006 325xi

Once I forgot to torque the caliper bolts back down all the way when doing a brake job. Made a bad racket and I had to drive all the way to the stealership (30+ miles) to get another bolt as one of them had fallen out.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 09:38 AM   #46
NOTM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
sanding my sting down to the metal, and it rusting overnight, idk what i was thinking
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 11:53 AM   #47
Andrewah05
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i TiAg

Broke all the clips holding the battery cable to the cowling on my e92, also the far left engine cover torx screw has dropped into the engine bay about ten million times, once you drop something into the N54, I call it the engine of bay of no return, took me 15 minutes to locate and then try and get it out everytime-.-
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 01:22 PM   #48
SilverJester
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 Evo X GSR

Mine has to be my had to be with my first/second cars. I was rear ended by a distracted driver who totaled my first car (a '95 Eagle Talon TSi AWD). I bought a '97 Eclipse GSX (they are the same car with different badges) with a blown motor and attempted to swap the talon's engine into it. I was 17 at the time and it was the biggest automotive/mechanical project I had ever attempted, so it ended up taking me 3 months to complete (Well 2 months and 1 month of trouble shooting...ended having the AC compressor and cam angle sensor plugs switched). I had some help from a friend who was very experience but by in large, I did the swap my self. So when I finally got it running again, I felt very proud. My friend happen to be there the day I finally got it running, and we went on a test drive to the gas station. I hopped out at the pump, only to look back and see a trail of fresh oil drops leading up to my car.

It turns out, while I was able to get the the engine swapped over, I didn't know where coolant was suppose to go. I had filled the overflow reservoir and not the radiator! My mistake meant I had burned some valves and warped the head. My buddy ended up fixing my mistake.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 01:24 PM   #49
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

Just recently.

I had a tire go on me--hit a pothole. Nursed the car home, and put on my new all-season "winter" tire and wheel as a temporary while I had the summer tire off being replaced.

Was distracted (did it that night right after nursing the car home)....and forgot to torque the bolts on the replacement spare wheel.

Fast forward to next morning on my drive into work, and all of a sudden I started hearing and feeling the nasty "wobbly" sound. Uh oh.....

Drove it back the few miles to my place, got out the spinner lug wrench....and yup, one of the bolts was completely loose, and the others were barely any better.
      04-14-2014, 01:37 PM   #50
Blackhawk36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 6MT No iDrive

Finished my first DIY walnut blast. Cleaned up and did a very satisfied drop of the hood and noticed a dent, facing out. I left a small screw driver resting no the air intake above the radiator.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 01:52 PM   #51
simmo1985
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 Edition M Sport 320D

Many moons ago on my old Astra Coupe Turbo i used a wine cork as a dump valve bung, hit boost after 10miles and it got spat out making a loud bang as it whacked the firewall and the car lit up like a christmas tree. Had to get a lift home to get the dump valve and refit in the middle of the night.

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 02:27 PM   #52
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Swapping in 3 stage intake manifold. Over torqued one of the mounting bolts. It tweaked like a banjo string! Thank God it came back out in one piece.
      04-14-2014, 02:35 PM   #53
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

Oh yeah, another one. This one a bit more serious than the last I posted.

Back in the day, I had a classic 1968 Corvette, with a Holley 4 barrel carburetor.
Let's just say I learned how to wrench on that car, so....one day I was trying to adjust the carburetor to fix some misfire and backfire issues I was having. Had the hood up, and my friend was on the front porch watching things.

Adjusted things to try them out, closed the clamshell hood, got in, tried to start the car. Backfire. Big one! WTH? Tried again. Nothing happened, just kept cranking.
Then my friend jumped up off the porch and came running over to me yelling for me to stop cranking the motor and open the hood back up.

Turns out, he saw yellow flames through the side-gills in the front fenders....yes, I had set my car on fire.

We managed to get the carburetor fire out before much damage.