E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > ipad or android

12-07-2012, 09:01 PM   #23
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

I agree that on paper the android devices look great but living with them is another issue.

One example is the BBC iPlayer app, 80% of my tablet use is for iPlayer and the lack of a native app is crushing.

It's the same with a lot of apps, they are just poorly ported apple apps.
Even the Youtube app is god-awful. The Youtube app on my iPhone is much slicker in every way which is shocking considering Google owns Youtube!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 03:08 AM   #24
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...LmFuZHJvaWQiXQ..

I have to agree with Kerr. I really don't know which Android device you've used.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 03:32 AM   #25
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
If you must choose between the two then go for an Apple product. I made the mistake of buying an android tablet. They look great on paper but the whole user experience leaves much to be desired.

I hate the whole Apple ethos but there's no denying they have a much more polished product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaishang View Post
I'd say iPad 4 (not 2 which is also still on sale)

Screen is 265dpi; a printed photo is 300dpi so it is not far off the quality of a printed photo and miles ahead of a typical laptop screen.

It is constant battle....Android or iOS.

I have used both, Web OS and few more platforms.

Let me say it in SIMPLE wrods....

If you are a geek and loves tweaking, playing, experimenting, hacking, rooting your tablets / computers / phones.....Android should be your choice.

However if you want to sit, and use a a tablet without much hassle, iOS is the way to go.

When I had the time to play with gadgets, I always preferred Android. There is way more freedom (to tweak and play). Lately, I hardly get time to play with OS, so I moved to iOS and no regrets except that it cannot play flash.

Laptop VS Tablet.

You can do most of the things on the tablet provided the condition that you have the relevant applications. However doing the same work on a laptop is a lot quicker.
      12-08-2012, 05:31 AM   #26
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
I agree that on paper the android devices look great but living with them is another issue.

One example is the BBC iPlayer app, 80% of my tablet use is for iPlayer and the lack of a native app is crushing.

It's the same with a lot of apps, they are just poorly ported apple apps.
Even the Youtube app is god-awful. The Youtube app on my iPhone is much slicker in every way which is shocking considering Google owns Youtube!
When was the last time you used an android device of any quality?

IPlayer and YouTube apps work without any issues at all for me. You also have the advantage of being able to use the real websites and not the app.

Also embedded YouTube videos work from the webpage.

What else do you want them to do?

IPlayer didn't used to work over 3G on apple which it does with Android.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 05:34 AM   #27
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

I'm not very good with computers but have no issues with Android.

People make it sound technical and geeky. It doesn't have to be.

There are loads of YouTube videos of Android v ios head to head showing the differences.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 06:43 AM   #28
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...LmFuZHJvaWQiXQ..

I have to agree with Kerr. I really don't know which Android device you've used.
I'm aware that you can visit the iplayer webpage with andoid but it has no NATIVE app. If you download that "app" it just directs you to the webpage!

With my phone I can download episodes and watch them on flights which is a big thing for me. The youtube app wont actually update the home feed in the same way the webpage or IOS app will, it may be fixed in future but it really sucks having to load the webpage for casual youtube watching, just doesnt have the same user experience the IOS version offers.

I consider myself an advanced user hence why i jumped over to android for a tablet but in actuality i have found it less flexible than the my jailbroken iphone. The jailbreak modding scene for IOS is heaven for an advanced user who likes to tweak.

Samsung devices are clearly the future and i'm sure the newer revisions on android will continue to improve but for now theres just not enough app support for android.

It's hard to explain what is wrong with the porting process used by most developers but it does seem apples quality control over the app store is paying off, people are spending the money developing slick IOS apps then just copying them across to android on the cheap.

Last edited by CarAbuser; 12-08-2012 at 07:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 07:17 AM   #29
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

I've never used a jailbroken Apple device before but I don't see the point of buying an Apple device to take such a risk to get it to do things Apple won't allow.

Would be sore to brick a £500 phone.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 07:37 AM   #30
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I don't know if it's even possible to brick them these days, the jailbreak procedure is has been very simple for years now, just plug in device and click go.

I did once brick an iPod while trying to get Linux to run on it but it was an old one!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #31
Desmondo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
Would be sore to brick a £500 phone.
It's nigh on impossible to brick an iPhone whilst jailbreaking. If anything does go wrong, a quick restore in iTunes sorts it
      12-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #32
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

The Nexus 7 is a superb little tablet, and so fluid.
Why pay more for less with the equivalent Apple product?

For work we will be using a new iPhone to do all our jobs, timebooking, spares ordering and calibration data logging though.
After seeing the surface, that would be better. Our IT unit cannot and will not support any Android devices due to old hardwae/security concerns.

Can the surface take a 3G or SIM card and use push email then - i.e. use it like we would the iPhone?
      12-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #33
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350 Cpe

It can do push email but no sim/3G support as yet however they have full USB support to plug in a 3G device.