E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > washed by delear but i will have to survive

07-21-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
FLA 335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i (SOLD) !!!!!

washed by delear but i will have to survive

so i had to goto the dealer on the count of a failure of an airbag... sign was red and i was told to take it to the dealer... i took it to the dealer closest to work and all was completed within 2 days... however upon delivery of my car it had already been washed... i didnt get a chance to tell the porters NOT to wash the car... My SA was a nice guy and got everything done on time, kept me in the loop and was only trying to help me out by having it ready out front as soon as i got there due to work time constraints... i was a little upset but kept my cool and explained to him why the washing machine they have will put swirls in the paint and how i know they weren't there when i brought the car in. He offered to have someone detail it but i kindly said i'll take care of it...

i mean he was just trying to be nice and knew i didnt have alot of time, gave me a loaner when i came in for service... i simply requested that in the future it is a good idea to have the car ready for customers but when calling them to notify the service is complete, simply ask if they would like the car wash and problem solved... gave him a starbucks gift card and apologized if i came off harsh at any point.

at the end of the day my car now has swirls in it and i have had Sheerspeed detail the car twice already as a result of dealer mishaps... i remember that there was a post where someone put up a sign in the car FRONT and BACK stating 'NO CAR WASH'... i am going to have to take this approach...

sorry for the rant but i try so hard to keep my car clean and swirl free and sometimes its really out of our control... my car will stay with very minor swirls until next year when i have my once annual full on detail...

at the end of the day we must have some respect () for the SA's as some of them really are trying to help clients...
      07-21-2010, 04:51 PM   #2
fisherbln
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

They will never call and ask if you want your car washed. Believe it or not, most people appreciate the service and rate the dealer higher on service scores as a result.

If you don't want your car washed, the best method is to tell the SA to add it to your ticket and (as you mentioned) put signs in the windows stating not to wash the car.

I've actually never had an issue at my dealer. I mentioned once that I prefer they never wash my car and it has never been washed since.
      07-21-2010, 09:40 PM   #3
Schm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

My dealer (Baron BMW in Kansas City) always washes cars you bring it in. However, I think they do a decent job, I'm not sure what they use but I think it's just a spray washer, nothing sinister or that will put major swirls in the car. But each dealer is different.
      07-21-2010, 10:11 PM   #4
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I know my dealer washes all the cars but I have a permanent DO NOT WASH on file and make sure to remind them everytime. All it took was ONCE for me to get burned on that one.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 10:08 PM   #5
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA 335 View Post
so i had to goto the dealer on the count of a failure of an airbag... sign was red and i was told to take it to the dealer... i took it to the dealer closest to work and all was completed within 2 days... however upon delivery of my car it had already been washed... i didnt get a chance to tell the porters NOT to wash the car... My SA was a nice guy and got everything done on time, kept me in the loop and was only trying to help me out by having it ready out front as soon as i got there due to work time constraints... i was a little upset but kept my cool and explained to him why the washing machine they have will put swirls in the paint and how i know they weren't there when i brought the car in. He offered to have someone detail it but i kindly said i'll take care of it...

i mean he was just trying to be nice and knew i didnt have alot of time, gave me a loaner when i came in for service... i simply requested that in the future it is a good idea to have the car ready for customers but when calling them to notify the service is complete, simply ask if they would like the car wash and problem solved... gave him a starbucks gift card and apologized if i came off harsh at any point.

at the end of the day my car now has swirls in it and i have had Sheerspeed detail the car twice already as a result of dealer mishaps... i remember that there was a post where someone put up a sign in the car FRONT and BACK stating 'NO CAR WASH'... i am going to have to take this approach...

sorry for the rant but i try so hard to keep my car clean and swirl free and sometimes its really out of our control... my car will stay with very minor swirls until next year when i have my once annual full on detail...

at the end of the day we must have some respect () for the SA's as some of them really are trying to help clients...

Sorry to hear it. I feel your pain...same thing happened to me last year. I made a "Do Not Wash!" sign and keep it in the glove box. When I drive my car into service I put it on the dash on the driver's side before I even get out of my car. I had to go to service this week and when I got there it was really busy. I put the sign up in the dash and at least two other owners looked at me as if to say "That's a good idea".

This time they vacuumed my car car which even that I don't like them doing. Maybe I'll have to change the sign to "Do Not Wash, Wax, Vacuum, Clean Windows..."

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 10:52 PM   #6
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
I ALWAYS leave a printed 8 x 11 sheet on the dash and passenger front seat that states:

Please Do NOT WASH!

I also remind the SA when I drop the car. They get the point and make sure to advise me when I pick up the car that they didn't wash it because I requestd they not. I thank them for NOT washing it and we stay friends.

Once the damage is done it's a PITA to correct and each correction removes paint from the vehicle and $$$$ from your pocket, plus the inconvenience.
Big +1 to everything above. I do the same with the sign, and also have the permanent do not wash on file. I politely remind my SA each time, and she also claims the tech's appreciate the sign just in case. Seems like everyone's happy with the arrangement, myself included. My cars are never washed by the dealers (nor any tunnel washes, for that matter) and I like to keep it that way.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0