E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Usual VAT con by shops

01-08-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
Usual VAT con by shops

I see the price rises for staples nicely hidden under the guise of the rise in V.A.T.

I wonder how many retailers are doing this; - silly me, all of them. BMW's new price list reflects the changes in VAT. What they haven't mentioned is they have added a little bit in for themselves - 320d SE coupe for example, £90 more than the VAT rise required. I suppose it's important for those who only have an annual price rise, allows then to slip in some more cash for themselves.

Dirty Barstewards, every last one of them.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 11:04 AM   #2
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

i think there has been a rise in bmw prices in addition to the vat
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 11:18 AM   #3
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
If so, it must have been "coincidently" on the same day as the V.A.T. rise. Was it stated anywhere?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 11:59 AM   #4
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
If so, it must have been "coincidently" on the same day as the V.A.T. rise. Was it stated anywhere?
Easier to do that rather than doing it twice and having to reprint the literature twice at a guess?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 12:00 PM   #5
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

Prices are rising weekly - exchange rate fluctuation, sourcing costs, labour costs, factory costs, shipping costs, oil/fuel, distribution.

I lost many margin points last year from increased costs in sourcing but consumers wanted cheaper prices!! All wholesalers/retailers are a being squeazed

January price rises have been on the cards for months. I said it before and I'll it again.

This isn't anything to due with being ripped off, this is the reality of inflation on most consumer goods. Get used to it in 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicnerve View Post
Easier to do that rather than doing it twice and having to reprint the literature twice at a guess?
Yep, you will also be seeing new 2011 stock arriving in stores which will trigger the increases on top of VAT increase
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #6
Rochdale Pioneers
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera RSR View Post
Prices are rising weekly - exchange rate fluctuation, sourcing costs, labour costs, factory costs, shipping costs, oil/fuel, distribution.

I lost many margin points last year from increased costs in sourcing but consumers wanted cheaper prices!! All wholesalers/retailers are a being squeazed

January price rises have been on the cards for months. I said it before and I'll it again.

This isn't anything to due with being ripped off, this is the reality of inflation on most consumer goods. Get used to it in 2011
Absolutely. I sell food which isn't VATable, but have put a price rise through anyway as raw materials have shot up over the last 6 months. In some cases prices have gone up 40% - lamb is a good example of this. And Onions. Fat. Sugar. Wheat. Packaging etc etc.

Most punters complain about things costing too much, but if you look at the actual retail prices compared to 5 years ago, so many items are actually cheaper.
Appreciate 0