Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Can tpms sensors "seize up" so you cant get them out (w/o un-mounting the tire)?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

09-26-2014, 08:52 PM   #1
9iron
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 04 WRX

Can tpms sensors "seize up" so you cant get them out (w/o un-mounting the tire)?

I just had my winter tires mounted today. I bought new rims (w/o tpms) for the winters since i gave my stock 17" rims to mom. The tire shop agreed to deflate my moms tires and remove the tpms so i didnt have to buy a new set.

They said they got two removed, but the other two were "seized up" and they couldnt get them off. He said its not uncommon if the sensors havent been removed/rebuilt (they've been on those rims since 2008).

I thought it was kinda shady, since two new sensors cost $50/ea, and the rebate on the tires was $100. I just paid for the new sensors, since they didnt charge me to remove them from my moms car anyway.

Question is: Did they feed me a line of BS, or is it legit? They had me in the perfect spot since i either put no sensors on at all, or bought two instead of the four. What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 08:58 PM   #2
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

It happens, they can seize up on the rim, especially if they're old. And if they're 6 years old, the batteries are probably on their way out soon.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 10:53 PM   #3
9iron
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 04 WRX

OK. Thanks Shadow.
Appreciate 0