E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > sports suspension vs. standard

11-17-2007, 08:22 PM   #1
06-325
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 SG

sports suspension vs. standard

I got 189s and it seems that my car needs a drop. I don't mind the ride quality of a standard suspension since this is my daily driver and I like to be comfortable on long road trips. For the looks alone, I'm thinking about installing OEM sports suspension. Will the ride comfort suffer noticeably?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 06:56 AM   #2
XS4
slave to the dark side
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

Are your long road trips over interstate highways or hard-pan rural backroads?

After driving on aftermarket sport suspensions on my last 4 non BMW cars (adjustable konis, H&R & Stasis coilovers) I can tell you by comparison the OEM 335i sport suspension feels downright plush to me
What you might lose comfortwise over the occasional bump you should more than make up for in better stability (less floaty feel) and steering response and less bouncing and wallowing action. That to me is more fatiguing to be driving a car with a soft suspension that is still reacting to a bump or turn seconds later.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 02:28 PM   #3
06-325
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by XS4 View Post

After driving on aftermarket sport suspensions on my last 4 non BMW cars (adjustable konis, H&R & Stasis coilovers) I can tell you by comparison the OEM 335i sport suspension feels downright plush to me
What you might lose comfortwise over the occasional bump you should more than make up for in better stability (less floaty feel) and steering response and less bouncing and wallowing action. That to me is more fatiguing to be driving a car with a soft suspension that is still reacting to a bump or turn seconds later.
Local roads in my area are pretty bad so clearance is a must. Long trips usually are on interstates. After I put on the 189s, my car does seem to have a more floaty feel. I might get OEM sports shocks and springs since you described them as almost plush.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 04:48 PM   #4
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by XS4 View Post

i also have STOCK suspension because of car clearance issues.

i too found the stock suspension very floaty so i ordered both M sways (they should be here and installed within a week).

Question: on my current stock suspesion, when ever i am pushing the car a bit, and i hit a bump in a turn, the back end "jarrs" sideways which is a bit scary. what is the primary cause of this: shocks?, springs?, sways?).
.... and how can i fix it.

note that i may possibly get koni FSD to replace my stock shocks (orb recommended this) that will leave just the springs to do (sways and shocks should be done).

i am looking for sport springs that will not lower my current STOCK suspension height any more than say 8 mm. the full M suspension package would lower it too much (15mm drop).

any suggestions re changing out springs without lowering (much)?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 06:58 PM   #5
iwanta335
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post
[U]
Question: on my current stock suspesion, when ever i am pushing the car a bit, and i hit a bump in a turn, the back end "jarrs" sideways which is a bit scary. what is the primary cause of this: shocks?, springs?, sways?).
.... and how can i fix it.
Rear sway.
      11-18-2007, 07:37 PM   #6
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanta335 View Post
Rear sway.
thanks iwanta.
......any suggestion regarding my spring "problem?"