E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Cleaning & Detailing the engine bay?...

05-26-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
crzylildude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Garage List
Cleaning & Detailing the engine bay?...

Can anyone tell me how to DIY my engine bay?... Has anyone had tried presure washing their engine before?... Is there any cleaner i can buy from AUTOZONE or PEPBOYS to clean my engine?... any advise is very much appreciated...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #2
drmdvl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i, 2015 Macan Turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by crzylildude View Post
Can anyone tell me how to DIY my engine bay?... Has anyone had tried presure washing their engine before?... Is there any cleaner i can buy from AUTOZONE or PEPBOYS to clean my engine?... any advise is very much appreciated...
I am not a pro detailer by any means, but I do like to keep my car nice and detail as a hobby.
I dont think its a good idea to use a pressure washer in your engine bay. I just spray P21s total auto wash over everything in the engine bay, including the bottom side of the hood - let it sit for a few minutes - then use a small bristle brush to agitate any crevices or hard to reach places. P21 is a pretty safe and gentle degreaser - it doesnt take much scrubbing.
-Rinse with a hose or low pressure stream of water.
-Dry. I just blow it out with compressed air and use a towel.
-Spray down EVERYTHING, except belts and fan, with Aerospace 303 for a great finish.
Takes about 15 minutes total for a real nice detail.
Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
crzylildude
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmdvl View Post
I am not a pro detailer by any means, but I do like to keep my car nice and detail as a hobby.
I dont think its a good idea to use a pressure washer in your engine bay. I just spray P21s total auto wash over everything in the engine bay, including the bottom side of the hood - let it sit for a few minutes - then use a small bristle brush to agitate any crevices or hard to reach places. P21 is a pretty safe and gentle degreaser - it doesnt take much scrubbing.
-Rinse with a hose or low pressure stream of water.
-Dry. I just blow it out with compressed air and use a towel.
-Spray down EVERYTHING, except belts and fan, with Aerospace 303 for a great finish.
Takes about 15 minutes total for a real nice detail.
Good luck.
Thank you so much for your help.... Can I get that P21 at AUTOZONE?...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
raceyBMW
king of the hills
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 w/ESS55, 2001 540i/6

Garage List
2001 BMW 540i/6  [8.17]
1994 530i  [9.00]
2007 335i Coupe  [8.37]
Just be sure not to get the hood insulator wet if you have one...doing so will make it sag and it won't fit correctly anymore. You can't get P21S at an autoparts store.

In lieu of P21S, you can always get a degreaser like Simple Green and dilute it down per instructions.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I just used an older MF towel and dipped it in the same SimpleGreen mix I used for my wheels. Wring out the towel and wipe the engine down. repeat wring/wipe as necessary.
Often, I do the door jams first, then use that towel for the gas tank, trunk edges, and then the engine bay. ASSuming you don't have oil leaking all over everywhere. While you're in there, clean out the leaves that were caught by the filter.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
crzylildude
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
coolcobramatt
I like turtles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is Lemans Blue

Simple Green and a solid stream of clean water on a cool motor. Use a plastic brush to get caked on grime off. I always use my leaf blower tod ry off the motor and let it run a few minutes to dry the cracks n crevices. A quick coat of ArmorAll, shut the hood and a few hours later it looks like a shiny new penny. I've been doing it that way for 20+ years, easy cheesy!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
crzylildude
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcobramatt View Post
Simple Green and a solid stream of clean water on a cool motor. Use a plastic brush to get caked on grime off. I always use my leaf blower tod ry off the motor and let it run a few minutes to dry the cracks n crevices. A quick coat of ArmorAll, shut the hood and a few hours later it looks like a shiny new penny. I've been doing it that way for 20+ years, easy cheesy!
lol! cool... thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #9
vapore0n
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

One thing I always do and recommend is to cover the alternator with a plastic bag.
If not, then you have to let the engine bay dry completely.

My dad used to just hose down the engine bay and then tells us to run the car around the block to dry it. A week or two later the alternator would go bad.

Since then Ive always covered the alternator and any fuse box with plastic bags and have not had a single problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #10
BES335xi
Colonel
Albania
Rep
Drives: FBO+ N54xi

Garage List
03/07 E90 335xi  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vapore0n View Post
One thing I always do and recommend is to cover the alternator with a plastic bag.
If not, then you have to let the engine bay dry completely.

My dad used to just hose down the engine bay and then tells us to run the car around the block to dry it. A week or two later the alternator would go bad.

Since then Ive always covered the alternator and any fuse box with plastic bags and have not had a single problem.
+1 I didnt do a good job of covering my alternator and didnt really let the car sit much and like you said a week or 2 later my alternator died and its $600 plus labor......Learned the hard way i guess lol.
JB4+usb | P3 Vent Boost Gauge v2 | BMS OCC | BMS DCI | AMS FMIC | AR xi CL DP's | BT Tool | Edibias/NCSExpert/INPA BMW Coding | Cyba Quad Exhaust tips | M-Tech Rear & M3 Front Bumper | Red Cyba Air Scoops | Blacklines | Vinyl Overlays | ACS Roof Spoiler | Matte Black Grilles | LED Side Mirrors | Rear Euro Fogs | etc..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #11
BMW335icoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i Xdrive Coupe

Is the alternator the only thing you need to cover. Also can someone post a picture of the alternator so I know the location and what it looks like.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #12
vapore0n
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW335icoupe View Post
Is the alternator the only thing you need to cover. Also can someone post a picture of the alternator so I know the location and what it looks like.

It sits right below the air intake pipes.
Its the first item on the belt, top right.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #13
BMW335icoupe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapore0n
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW335icoupe View Post

It sits right below the air intake pipes.
Its the first item on the belt, top right.
Awesome. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #14
CharlieBear
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 white red sold bc uknow

I actually just used the carwash place engine cleaner and powerwashed the whole engine. Of course I waited a good 15 min so more while drying the whole car to let the water to drip out. No problems! Clean engine!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 06:04 AM   #15
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Protection of Electrical Components

Avoid the [I cleaned engine and now it won't start] scenario by covering electrical / electronic and various other parts prior to using any cleaning products, sprays or water. It unsure either protect with a covering and /or use WD-40 water repellent (keep away from heat, sparks and all other sources of ignition)

The most important electrical components are sealed to be ‘water resistant’ or splash proof to resist water ingress that is to say against low pressure, water splashing upwards from the road that is encountered in the course of daily driving conditions, despite their coverings they are not ‘waterproof’. Rain or water splashed up into the engine is at very low pressure, very different from a pressurised hose or steam

Allow the engine to cool down; cold water on a hot engine will cause thermal shock, which could cause the block to fracture. Allow the engine to run while you are using a water spray. Then leave it running for approx five minutes after you are finished spraying. This allows any water that remains to evaporate with the heat from combustion

As long as you use common sense by avoiding a direct strong stream of water (or a pressure washer / steamer at close range) directly into these components, you will be fine.

• Alternator
• Alarm Housing
• Intercooler
• Battery terminals (if not covered already)
• Induction kit cone (if you have one)
• Coil packs
• Electronic control units (ECU)
• GM Opti-Spark Distributor
• On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) port
• Air intake systems (exposed air filters) can be covered with plastic wrap and a rubber band
• Avoid getting water in the spark plug recesses

Notes:

1. This is not an exhaustive list, nor is it marque specific, if in doubt use a water repellent (WD-40) and exercise common sense
2. Use cling-film and then tin foil for the alternator, alarm housing etc as the foil is easier to mould and has greater protection properties. I suggest you use a plastic bag for the induction kit and just wrap it tight over the end to stop any water ingress.
3. For the intercooler the best way to cover is to get a flat sheet of cardboard and just cut it to size so it fits and covers the fins. Cardboard will normally protect the fins for the duration of the washing. It will get soaked so discard after the wash.
4. If you are uncertain of how to proceed on something not included here; talk with somebody who has marque /model /year specific knowledge.

“Engine Bay Detailing” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...ml#post1448628

Last edited by TOGWT; 06-05-2012 at 06:19 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #16
BMW335icoupe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGWT

Avoid the [I cleaned engine and now it won't start] scenario by covering electrical / electronic and various other parts prior to using any cleaning products, sprays or water. It unsure either protect with a covering and /or use WD-40 water repellent (keep away from heat, sparks and all other sources of ignition)

The most important electrical components are sealed to be ‘water resistant’ or splash proof to resist water ingress that is to say against low pressure, water splashing upwards from the road that is encountered in the course of daily driving conditions, despite their coverings they are not ‘waterproof’. Rain or water splashed up into the engine is at very low pressure, very different from a pressurised hose or steam

Allow the engine to cool down; cold water on a hot engine will cause thermal shock, which could cause the block to fracture. Allow the engine to run while you are using a water spray. Then leave it running for approx five minutes after you are finished spraying. This allows any water that remains to evaporate with the heat from combustion

As long as you use common sense by avoiding a direct strong stream of water (or a pressure washer / steamer at close range) directly into these components, you will be fine.

• Alternator
• Alarm Housing
• Intercooler
• Battery terminals (if not covered already)
• Induction kit cone (if you have one)
• Coil packs
• Electronic control units (ECU)
• GM Opti-Spark Distributor
• On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) port
• Air intake systems (exposed air filters) can be covered with plastic wrap and a rubber band
• Avoid getting water in the spark plug recesses

Notes:

1. This is not an exhaustive list, nor is it marque specific, if in doubt use a water repellent (WD-40) and exercise common sense
2. Use cling-film and then tin foil for the alternator, alarm housing etc as the foil is easier to mould and has greater protection properties. I suggest you use a plastic bag for the induction kit and just wrap it tight over the end to stop any water ingress.
3. For the intercooler the best way to cover is to get a flat sheet of cardboard and just cut it to size so it fits and covers the fins. Cardboard will normally protect the fins for the duration of the washing. It will get soaked so discard after the wash.
4. If you are uncertain of how to proceed on something not included here; talk with somebody who has marque /model /year specific knowledge.

“Engine Bay Detailing” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...ml#post1448628
Great info. I actually just detailed it yesterday and it came out great!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #17
Laid Black 335i
BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i (6MT)

To avoid any type of spraying, I just get a bucket of soap and water, and scrub with soft microfiber towels for an hour or two. I use a small tooth brush to get into very tight spots. I do this about every 6 months or so.

It also helps to remove all the plastic peices in the engine bay and clean them while they are off (engine cover, airbox cover, etc.). Just spray them with your hose and wipe it down with a soapy sponge (see pic below).

06-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #18
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

i usually just grab one of my general purpose rags and wipe everything down with ONR
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #19
crzylildude
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid Black 335i View Post
To avoid any type of spraying, I just get a bucket of soap and water, and scrub with soft microfiber towels for an hour or two. I use a small tooth brush to get into very tight spots. I do this about every 6 months or so.

It also helps to remove all the plastic peices in the engine bay and clean them while they are off (engine cover, airbox cover, etc.). Just spray them with your hose and wipe it down with a soapy sponge (see pic below).

Wow! you sure have a lot of patience doing that...
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #20
raceyBMW
king of the hills
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 w/ESS55, 2001 540i/6

Garage List
2001 BMW 540i/6  [8.17]
1994 530i  [9.00]
2007 335i Coupe  [8.37]
LOL at taking off intake manifold to clean the outside, that's some dedication to cleanliness right there.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 10:29 PM   #21
abhishriv
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe (Space grey)

just cleaned my engine bay earlier this evening after reading this thread at work. piece of cake! i just used the simple green degreaser and covered over the alternator area with a plastic bag.. and then used a leaf blower to help dry while i let the car run for about 10 - 15 mins. now its parked inside with the hood open overnight
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 10:39 PM   #22
crzylildude
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishriv View Post
just cleaned my engine bay earlier this evening after reading this thread at work. piece of cake! i just used the simple green degreaser and covered over the alternator area with a plastic bag.. and then used a leaf blower to help dry while i let the car run for about 10 - 15 mins. now its parked inside with the hood open overnight
Appreciate 0