E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Airbag recall: I'm in BIG trouble !

06-27-2016, 12:47 PM   #45
fulltilt444
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underground6t9
I called my local dealer about recall and no rental car was offered.
Call a different dealer.

OP - chill out, park the car, keep the rental. If the dealer screws with you, work with BMW NA.

I'm driving my bmw a few miles a week. Just to keep battery charged etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 12:54 PM   #46
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulltilt444 View Post
Call a different dealer.

OP - chill out, park the car, keep the rental. If the dealer screws with you, work with BMW NA.

I was just there at lunch....there are so many F80 328i x drives on the lot, I'm talking maybe 50. Why doesn't BMW sell these to Enterprise, and then rent them out? They're just sitting there gathering dust....
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 05:53 PM   #47
DirtKurt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Wait, I can go to bmw and get a rental on there tab until the recall parts come in?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 06:54 PM   #48
bloppitybloop
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtKurt View Post
Wait, I can go to bmw and get a rental on there tab until the recall parts come in?
Yep. Just contact your dealer and let then know you want alternate transportation.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 07:03 PM   #49
fulltilt444
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070
Quote:
Call a different dealer.

I was just there at lunch....there are so many F80 328i x drives on the lot, I'm talking maybe 50. Why doesn't BMW sell these to Enterprise, and then rent them out? They're just sitting there gathering dust....
Not sure, maybe it would be too much risk to own such a large share of a depreciating asset? But maybe the numbers aren't significant. No idea.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 07:24 PM   #50
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Not sure, maybe it would be too much risk to own such a large share of a depreciating asset? But maybe the numbers aren't significant. No idea.
At the Enterprise, there was 1 BMW rental....no other interesting cars...lots of rentals....it dawned on me this mo, they never recorded the mileage last month....
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 06:45 PM   #51
924er
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335i '10

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemerguy27 View Post
Why would you have to pay for the rental car? Shouldn't bmw cover that?
If you took all the folks who have a loaner/rental provided by BMW, and they all signed something stating they would only drive their vehicle to and from the dealership and to storage, I wonder if it's widespread that people would drive the vehicle 1,300 miles?

BMW is looking to not get cheated when they state the above. Again, say you are 50 miles from your dealer. If you drove 300 miles, nobody is going to sweat it. But if you drove 1000+ it becomes implausible that the vehicle only went to/from the dealer and storage.

Again, what do I mean by cheated?

Each and every recalled vehicle is a golden ticket. With it, you can get an Enterprise rental, but agree to store your car and not drive it.

What if you use your recalled car to get the Enterprise, and then keep driving it and give the Enterprise to someone else, or you were going to buy a new car, and now you don't have to, or you no longer have to lease a new car. You get the idea, instead of 1 car, you now have 2. The purpose of the BMW loaner/rental is to replace your recalled car, not to give you an additional car to drive. It's unjust enrichment. Having your cake, and eating it too. But human nature wants to cheat. If there were no rules, who knows what could happen.

Now, the OP is playing a game, terminate the Enterprise contract, and try to say the miles happened afterwards.

IF BMW were smart, and thought like the FBI or USCIS or CIA, THEY WOULD REQUIRE A KEY READING AT THE TIME THE ENTERPRISE CONTRACT IS TERMINATED.

Are you listening BMWNA? that is what you would do if you had checks/balances to prevent people from taking advantage of you.

edit: under the OP's master plan, what should happen is the SA's eyes pop out of his head when the recall is done, say there are now 8k more than before. Likely the SA doesn't want to get involved, but let's say he does like some have at corporate run dealerships. He calls the svc mgr., they say WTF you drove your car? OP says yeah but I haven't had an Enterprise since June 2016 (it's now February 2017), they say they know that as they get a monthly report, but it did not void the contract that you signed. Now they say they'll be billing $1,900 times the 3 months the rental was in the OPs possession. Very far fetched and unlikely, but what if the world played by the rules, and signing a contract meant something (it really doesn't until you go to court)...

edit 2: without a mandatory key reading at the time of the termination of the Enterprise car, the OP is home free. Just go to another dealer to have the recall performed when parts are available, now, the SA's eyes won't pop out of his head. It's interesting how many systems are so easily beat. Sometimes I wonder why any of us bother to follow rules. Then again, it goes back to my stories of the US Congressmen and US Senators getting indicted and convicted, they too thought there was no way to get busted.
Again, this wasn't about me trying to "cheat the system" or "take advantage". My wife brought my car in and signed the contract blindly. I drove the rental but occasionally drove my BMW once or twice a week to work which is a long commute. Trust me my wife isn't going to drive a base model jeep Cherokee when she has a brand new Lexus.

Another thing, I found the contract. Exact same one you posted on here. It says absolutely NOTHING about the customer having to pay for the rental if they breach the contract by continuing to drive their recalled car. If you read the last statement, it claims that if you do drive your BMW, they are NOT responsible for any or all damaged that occur. They are simply taking zero liability. Again it says NOTHING about having to pay for the rental which is about $1900 a month.

It's funny though, when I called a random SA and told them they were like "yes, you will be responsible for the rental fees as you breached the contract you signed stating you will not drive the car". This has to be some kind of scare tactic.

I could have easily taking advantage and ate "two cakes" as you said and brought my car back with an additional extra 8k miles and gotten away with it because the contract states nothing about me having to pay the rental fees. Now why am I not doing that? Because I'm not a free loader.

And oh yeah, there is no "monthly mileage report" a SA can pull from the key fob. BMW would have to send my ECU to BMWNA for investigation for that lol

DCI intakes, ER chargepipe, TIAL BOV,
VRSF 5in FMIC, BMS Downpipes COBB e30
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 07:35 PM   #52
PureE92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92

So did anybody get any interesting cars? They got me in a impala currently, I was hoping for a bmw.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 09:21 PM   #53
335xituned
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureE92
So did anybody get any interesting cars? They got me in a impala currently, I was hoping for a bmw.
Changed mine 3 times finaly got a f30 2016 with 6k it's better then i gave the f30's credit
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 09:27 PM   #54
hongsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Let me guess the OP is Asian.
      06-29-2016, 10:09 PM   #55
bloppitybloop
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureE92 View Post
I'm getting mine Friday. I'll report back.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 06:04 AM   #56
924er
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hongsc
Let me guess the OP is Asian.
Nah op ain't Asian you racist prick. Hahaha

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 06:42 AM   #57
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

So does anybody get a loaner if they opt for one? I read on snopes that BMW is offering 2 series, and x series vehicles as loaners, but didn't find many threads created to verify that.. I just asked my friend at BMW and he said yes as well, but it's done through BMWNA who isn't open yet so I can't call to verify..

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 06:53 AM   #58
bloppitybloop
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMode335i View Post
So does anybody get a loaner if they opt for one? I read on snopes that BMW is offering 2 series, and x series vehicles as loaners, but didn't find many threads created to verify that.. I just asked my friend at BMW and he said yes as well, but it's done through BMWNA who isn't open yet so I can't call to verify..

Thanks
I think your chances of getting a loaner from BMW are pretty slim based on everything I've seen. Most people are getting rentals through Enterprise which could be any kind of car.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 07:13 AM   #59
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckedhim View Post
I think your chances of getting a loaner from BMW are pretty slim based on everything I've seen. Most people are getting rentals through Enterprise which could be any kind of car.
Rentals are better because BMW is paying the CDW.

Someone I know was rear-ended in the BMW rental--just went back and got another, easy peasy. if it had been a loaner, now you've got your insurance involved blah blah blah

Plus most dealers now have their dealer name dot com on the car identifying it as a loaner, who needs that when you're going to potentially have the car until Feb 2017 or even 2020
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 07:16 AM   #60
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

Thanks
way too many rumours.....from my experience a large number of the Enterprise cars are '16 328 x drive sedans. There are also X3's and X5's.

BMWNA should simply refer you to your dealer, so the dealer has all the power (service dept. as they write up a formal repair order on your car for the airbag). I just laugh every time I think about that one dude who was told it was a 2 hour process and he had to sit down with sales to discuss his options, talk about taking advantage and turning it into a sales opportunity. Should take < 10 min.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 07:16 AM   #61
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Rentals are better because BMW is paying the CDW.

Someone I know was rear-ended in the BMW rental--just went back and got another, easy peasy. if it had been a loaner, now you've got your insurance involved blah blah blah

Plus most dealers now have their dealer name dot com on the car identifying it as a loaner, who needs that when you're going to potentially have the car until Feb 2017 or even 2020
Yeah screw that.. I just read one lady got a kia and lost her shit lol..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 07:24 AM   #62
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 924er View Post
Again, this wasn't about me trying to "cheat the system" or "take advantage". My wife brought my car in and signed the contract blindly. I drove the rental but occasionally drove my BMW once or twice a week to work which is a long commute. Trust me my wife isn't going to drive a base model jeep Cherokee when she has a brand new Lexus.

Another thing, I found the contract. Exact same one you posted on here. It says absolutely NOTHING about the customer having to pay for the rental if they breach the contract by continuing to drive their recalled car. If you read the last statement, it claims that if you do drive your BMW, they are NOT responsible for any or all damaged that occur. They are simply taking zero liability. Again it says NOTHING about having to pay for the rental which is about $1900 a month.

It's funny though, when I called a random SA and told them they were like "yes, you will be responsible for the rental fees as you breached the contract you signed stating you will not drive the car". This has to be some kind of scare tactic.

I could have easily taking advantage and ate "two cakes" as you said and brought my car back with an additional extra 8k miles and gotten away with it because the contract states nothing about me having to pay the rental fees. Now why am I not doing that? Because I'm not a free loader.

And oh yeah, there is no "monthly mileage report" a SA can pull from the key fob. BMW would have to send my ECU to BMWNA for investigation for that lol
Hey you started the the thread saying you were in big trouble. A normal person would see that and click it, it sounds interesting.

I was actually surprised that you revealed you are married by blaming your wife. But it's a fact that you knew the vehicle was to be stored, and you drove it anyway. Nobody forced you to do so, you made the decision.

Anyway, you're going to do the recall at another dealership, and nothing is going to happen. End of story.

But, it's like I said, you see people in Congress going to jail for these bizarre amounts of money, sometimes only 100k. it's not that they are so stupid they are willing to go to jail for 100k. It's that they didn't think for one sec that they could get caught at what they did. That's my point. You've listed out some points on why you're not going to be in big trouble like you originally posted--and have obviously put a lot of thought into your scenario.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 07:27 AM   #63
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
These are the cases where people have relatively new cars, and are making payments, it's understandable that they should have something comparable if it's a lease. A lease is a rental, you don't own the car, so why should you be renting a M3 but driving a Corolla?

But for those of us who have a '07 that was paid for 6 years ago and out of extended warranty 3 yrs. ago, technically, a '16 328 is an upgrade, not performance-wise, but value-wise, so we can't really complain...
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2016, 07:34 AM   #64
bloppitybloop
Major
Rep

Quote:
Haha I saw that article too. I'm hoping I don't end up with a Chrysler 200 or something lame like that.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2016, 07:38 AM   #65
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckedhim View Post
Haha I saw that article too. I'm hoping I don't end up with a Chrysler 200 or something lame like that.
We have to go back every 30 days to redo the contract, so when I was there this week, I saw 1 other 328i available. The other cars were like a Lincoln whatever the small SUV like a Escape is, Grand Cherokee, Chrysler 300, 200, blah blah blah. It'd be sweet to get a new N55 X5, but I've never seen one on the lot. Kinda like Sasquatch.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2016, 09:24 AM   #66
924er
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 924er View Post

Hey you started the the thread saying you were in big trouble. A normal person would see that and click it, it sounds interesting.

I was actually surprised that you revealed you are married by blaming your wife. But it's a fact that you knew the vehicle was to be stored, and you drove it anyway. Nobody forced you to do so, you made the decision.

Anyway, you're going to do the recall at another dealership, and nothing is going to happen. End of story.

But, it's like I said, you see people in Congress going to jail for these bizarre amounts of money, sometimes only 100k. it's not that they are so stupid they are willing to go to jail for 100k. It's that they didn't think for one sec that they could get caught at what they did. That's my point. You've listed out some points on why you're not going to be in big trouble like you originally posted--and have obviously put a lot of thought into your scenario.
I like using catchy titles for threads it works. Lol

No I'll go back to the same dealership. Either way the contract says nothing about me paying for the rental.

Just because I got a loaner for a recall doesn't mean I thought I could drive it for 6 months. I haven't met a single person that is willing to keep their BMW parked for 6 months on a damn battery charger. That's ridiculous. Driving it once a week isn't bad but miles added up.

Appreciate 0