E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Canadian E90 Water Pump Failures

07-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #45
pdude
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i - Prem/MSport/AT

E90 2006 N52
wp fail 135K km
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 06:30 AM   #46
Zero_09
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 E90, 2011 E90

I'm at 151,000km and I think it's still on the original water pump unless the original owner replaced it before me which I highly doubt. I pulled the maintenance history from the dealer but he could have got it replaced at a indy shop.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 02:11 PM   #47
e90Nate
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by prez34 View Post
Mine went a few months back @ 90km....I ended up having a long debate with a dealership and BMW Canada which ended with me keeping a $640 bill even though the car was under CPO warranty. The invoice should be close to $300 when a few members compared invoices

Coles notes:
- Car overheated and went to limp mode
- Towed to Dealership
- Dealership advised that they cannot look at car because I do not have an appointment and will fit in when possible (didn’t know I can predict when car will breakdown to schedule a future appointment – guess I wasn’t given the BMW crystal ball during the delivery process)
- Issue was diagnosed 4.5 days later as water pump failure
- Car fixed and CPO invoice for the work was $640. Paid and left.
- Few weeks later saw a post of another member in the Canada thread with Car overheating issue. His car was repaired under CPA and his invoice was under $300
- PM’d him for details of invoice, he was charged for thermostat, minimal labor, and CPO deductible
- I was charged labor for the entire job, so it looked like only the water pump part was covered by CPO at the dealership I went to
- I had many calls, emails and escalations to dealership and was told it was properly charged out.
- Escalated to BMW Canada and was told they do not control how CPO work is charged out. Each dealership can charge varying rates for identical work
- Out of frustration, I e-mailed multiple GTA dealerships inquiring how a water pump/thermostat job would be invoiced under CPO warranty….the dealers that responded came back with the lower cost of $300. Where labor and water pump part costs were covered by CPO.
- Shared this info with BMW Canada, but was told they can do nothing and they will not help any further

Lesson learned here….”if possible” ask multiple dealerships how CPO will be invoiced and you can save $

IDEA - Start a thread on the site to compare costs of similar work between members. Then we can track “honest” dealerships / shops.
edmonton bmw covered my warranty pump I have extended warranty through SAL protection, I just had to pay my $50 deductible
      07-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #48
tcharged
Banned
Rep
Drives: bunch of them

My waterpump is original as PO did not have service records indicating he changed it, 194K E90 330i
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #49
PA66400
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by prez34 View Post
Mine went a few months back @ 90km....I ended up having a long debate with a dealership and BMW Canada which ended with me keeping a $640 bill even though the car was under CPO warranty. The invoice should be close to $300 when a few members compared invoices

Coles notes:
- Car overheated and went to limp mode
- Towed to Dealership
- Dealership advised that they cannot look at car because I do not have an appointment and will fit in when possible (didn’t know I can predict when car will breakdown to schedule a future appointment – guess I wasn’t given the BMW crystal ball during the delivery process)
- Issue was diagnosed 4.5 days later as water pump failure
- Car fixed and CPO invoice for the work was $640. Paid and left.
- Few weeks later saw a post of another member in the Canada thread with Car overheating issue. His car was repaired under CPA and his invoice was under $300
- PM’d him for details of invoice, he was charged for thermostat, minimal labor, and CPO deductible
- I was charged labor for the entire job, so it looked like only the water pump part was covered by CPO at the dealership I went to
- I had many calls, emails and escalations to dealership and was told it was properly charged out.
- Escalated to BMW Canada and was told they do not control how CPO work is charged out. Each dealership can charge varying rates for identical work
- Out of frustration, I e-mailed multiple GTA dealerships inquiring how a water pump/thermostat job would be invoiced under CPO warranty….the dealers that responded came back with the lower cost of $300. Where labor and water pump part costs were covered by CPO.
- Shared this info with BMW Canada, but was told they can do nothing and they will not help any further

Lesson learned here….”if possible” ask multiple dealerships how CPO will be invoiced and you can save $

IDEA - Start a thread on the site to compare costs of similar work between members. Then we can track “honest” dealerships / shops.
My car was under CPO and the whole replacement cost me $50 - the deductible amount. It is extrodinarily offensive that you were treated this way by BMW.

I will never again buy a CPO BMW. Your experience just solidifies my personal experience that the Canadian CPO is a marketing tool for BMW to sell thier off-lease, used cars (note that I do not refer to them as "pre-owned" - they are all just used cars). Although I had a good experience with the waterpump, innumerable gaskets and seals have leaked prematurely on my 335i, at low mileage. Canada's CPO specifically excludes leaking gaskets and seals from the warranty. Essentially, these were inferior or defective parts, given that they all failed between 80 and 100K kms. BMW covered the cost for none, amounting to thousands of dollars of my cost, to replace them and stop oil leaks from the engine of my <100K km "premium" car.

I am extremely disappointed with BMW Canada's CPO, which is really just a gimmick to push out used cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #50
gpccan
Registered
Rep
Drives: 07-328i

Mine died at 140,000km, needed to be towed in. 2007 328i E90 N52 Auto-Tranny
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 08:33 PM   #51
N54King
King of the road
Rep