E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Audio and MP3 Playback Problems Affecting CD/Radio Units in 2008 BMW Models

01-31-2009, 08:40 AM   #23
lsrider
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335xi

For informational purposes, the "gapless" issue has not been worked out in the non- IDrive, non-HD "PrOfeSsional" CD/MP3 player used in the 2009's. I've had my 335xi sedan for a little more than a month and have nearly driven off the road at least three times when confronted with a crack/pop/gap between tracks of commercial (not home-burned) CD's where the music should have segued seamlessly. I'm about to enter what will, from what I have read here, probably be a fruitless go round with the dealer. I'll report back.

At least I'm not alone.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 10:21 PM   #24
jorenrique
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Thumbs down Listening of continuous CDs ... a nightmare in a BMW Professional

Well, I am surprised. I thought I would be the only one willing to step up and jump in a "BMW Professional".
I walked out the dealer in a new 128i and was surprised after a block when I noticed that the CD player would go in silence for 1/2 second between tracks. I have a large collection of mixed CDs and I thought about how annoying it was going to be listening my music in this car.
I went back and asked the sales man and he did not know anything about that. I had a 3 series before and this never happened to its CD player.
I read some of the posts and someone was asking if the 2008 models will come with this problem ...............well, you'll be surprised. The 2009's come with this problem as well.
I thought about spending the extra $900 in the CD changer instead of becoming an "Ipod dependant", but I want to make sure that it really works fine. I also want to go further to see if someone found out how to solve the problem....... any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 10:42 PM   #25
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorenrique View Post
I thought about spending the extra $900 in the CD changer instead of becoming an "Ipod dependant", but I want to make sure that it really works fine. I also want to go further to see if someone found out how to solve the problem....... any ideas?
Unfortunately CD changer does not solve this issue either.
      04-06-2009, 11:50 PM   #26
cpe90
nemo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Garage List
2008 E90 Sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorenrique View Post
Well, I am surprised. I thought I would be the only one willing to step up and jump in a "BMW Professional".
I walked out the dealer in a new 128i and was surprised after a block when I noticed that the CD player would go in silence for 1/2 second between tracks. I have a large collection of mixed CDs and I thought about how annoying it was going to be listening my music in this car.
I went back and asked the sales man and he did not know anything about that. I had a 3 series before and this never happened to its CD player.
I read some of the posts and someone was asking if the 2008 models will come with this problem ...............well, you'll be surprised. The 2009's come with this problem as well.
I'm driving a loaner 2009 328xi right now and it has the same problem.
It gives like half a second delay between tracks.
I have tried both the continuous cd format and also mp3 format of the same mix album that I made and it's still EPIC FAIL.

I haven't tried the removal of ID3 tag yet.
I'll try tomorrow and post update.

Does anyone know who makes the after market head unit for 08 E90?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2009, 03:39 PM   #27
markie328
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 328xi

I have a 2009 328xi and have experienced the exact same problem. Dealer as of 2day, NOV 2009, has not been able to fix. Dealer told me they have gone as far as Bmw usa and their engineering dept. says there is no problem with this unit, because unit was designed this way. When Germany decided to get a new vender half way thru 2007, these cd players were installed in the Professional BMW radios of 2008 and 2009 and half of 2007. Engineering dept says, once again, that there is nothing wrong with this series of cd players - they were designed to skip or delay between tracks of any cd, including compliation cds. Thus we're all f**ked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully, BMW will take this problem in consideration and correct in 2010 models. Would appreciate any feedback with owners of 2010 models- 328 series. Have tested my compliation cds in dealer's 5 series (worked fine) as well as 7 series (again, worked fine). Of course, both series had the higher end cd player.
I was not aware of this defect when I bought this car - I would have never considered buying it had I known beforehand. You cannot upgrade in to a higher end system in this model - BMW says it will not fit in dash.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 01:35 PM   #28
T i h o r
n00b
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i 6spd

I have an 335i L7 MY08 and it does the exact same thing.

I have quite a few DJ buddies and all I listen to are mixtapes.

My only solution to this is load the mixtape on your iPod and listen to it that way. I know it's the biggest bitch in the world, but only way around it.
      12-07-2009, 08:49 AM   #29
DeFKnoL
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i X-Drive (E90) (sold)

Still a problem in the 2010's

I just got a 2010 335xi with 6FL (i-Drive too) and I came to this thread explicitly because of the gap in playback. I thought at first that it was an issue with MP3's even though they work great (gapless) everywhere else. So I used AAC files and had the exact same problem. The iDrive decoder places a pause between everything by default. I have not yet taken this up with BMW, but I intend too.

This really pisses me off considering I've been spoiled for the past decade using an Empeg in my old car. I may have to continue with that decade+ old technology since it is still better than anything on the market today, unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 03:25 PM   #30
markie328
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 328xi

hey bmw drivers: it's markie 328. I have contacted bmw dealership and corporate bmw is now aware of this situation. Just waiting to hear from Evans bmw - Dayton, Ohio.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 11:18 PM   #31
Neutrino45
Major
Rep
Drives: XXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by T i h o r View Post
I have an 335i L7 MY08 and it does the exact same thing.

I have quite a few DJ buddies and all I listen to are mixtapes.

My only solution to this is load the mixtape on your iPod and listen to it that way. I know it's the biggest bitch in the world, but only way around it.
Or people can just load it to a $15 8G USB drive?