E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > BT Home Hub / Macbook help please!

07-30-2010, 05:28 PM   #1
Mr.N
BM Baby
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

BT Home Hub / Macbook help please!

Evening all.
I'm having a complete nightmare trying to connect my Macbook to my mother's BT Home Hub, it's the white one with green lights on the front.

I've been connected totally fine for 4 days, now I just can't connect.

When I open Airport it sometimes sees the network ID, sometimes doesnt. When it is there and I put the wireless key in it just pops the box back up and asks for the password again, over and over again.
When I go through Network Preferences and fill in the details it tells me that my password is incorrect which isn't true!

I've rebooted both the laptop and the home hub twice but still got no joy. I can even see next door's home hub!!

I've tried Googling for an answer but I'm getting nowhere. Anybody got any ideas? It's driving me f**kin insane!

Thanks
      07-30-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

Never in the last 12 months have I had issues with my macbook and home hub. Works like a dream for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 02:33 AM   #3
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
My god the home hubs I've been involved with have been awful - they ended up in the bin!

Netgear DGN2000 is the one to have (if you have a DSL connection that is............)
      07-31-2010, 03:25 AM   #4
Osian85
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: E90 318d M Sport

iv had similar problems with my homehub but with a windows pc and i sussed it eventually - i went into the network management settings and deleted all the networks out of there as if it had never seen the homehub before so kind of starting all over again, bish bash bosh works perfect. somehow what the computer knew about the homehub (password, channels etc) had changed or become corrupted?!?!

Anyways i reckon this will sort you out.

Osh.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 03:52 AM   #5
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dave View Post
My god the home hubs I've been involved with have been awful - they ended up in the bin!
Quite, they're fucking shite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osh View Post
iv had similar problems with my homehub but with a windows pc and i sussed it eventually - i went into the network management settings and deleted all the networks out of there as if it had never seen the homehub before so kind of starting all over again, bish bash bosh works perfect. somehow what the computer knew about the homehub (password, channels etc) had changed or become corrupted?!?!

Anyways i reckon this will sort you out.

Osh.
Do this. Delete the homehub SSID from the network management view, reboot (just to be sure) then try and reconnect.

Failing that, trying power-cycling the home hub.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 04:02 AM   #6
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 SSll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.N View Post
Evening all.
I'm having a complete nightmare trying to connect my Macbook to my mother's BT Home Hub, it's the white one with green lights on the front.

I've been connected totally fine for 4 days, now I just can't connect.

When I open Airport it sometimes sees the network ID, sometimes doesnt. When it is there and I put the wireless key in it just pops the box back up and asks for the password again, over and over again.
When I go through Network Preferences and fill in the details it tells me that my password is incorrect which isn't true!

I've rebooted both the laptop and the home hub twice but still got no joy. I can even see next door's home hub!!

I've tried Googling for an answer but I'm getting nowhere. Anybody got any ideas? It's driving me f**kin insane!

Thanks
I had exactly the same problem with my Mac Vs BT HH, spoke to BT and they confirmed the signal was there and strong and it was not their problem. Spoke to Apple and they advised me their wireless frequency was slightly different to most machines and is very prone to be effected by third parties i.e mobile phones, cordless phones, intruder alarms etc.

Fortunately I moved house shortly after this issue and was able to switch to Virgin fibre optics, which I have to say is absolutely amazing, 10 Mb (which is what I pay for) every time I check. However, the solution to the problem (and this is what Apple told me) is to ask BT to change the frequency of the HH. Before doing this I would connect the Mac to the HH via an ethanet cable to make sure the signal is constant. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 04:32 AM   #7
Mr.N
BM Baby
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks very much for the replies.
I just lifted the lid on my Macbook to have another go at it and guess what? It just connected automatically!?

Very strange.

Thanks again lads.
      07-31-2010, 06:59 AM   #8
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.N View Post
Thanks very much for the replies.
I just lifted the lid on my Macbook to have another go at it and guess what? It just connected automatically!?

Very strange.

Thanks again lads.
This happens with my missus' MacBook too, very strange and sometimes a reboot or manual reconnect just fixes it.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 07:40 AM   #9
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 SSll

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicnerve View Post
This happens with my missus' MacBook too, very strange and sometimes a reboot or manual reconnect just fixes it.
It definitely sounds like the signal is be interfered with by another source (in both cases)
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 07:53 AM   #10
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB London View Post
It definitely sounds like the signal is be interfered with by another source (in both cases)
Yeah could be anything, cordless phone is prime suspect but it used to happen to hers before we lived together and they didnt have anything else in the house, though the interference could have come from a neighbours.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 10:01 AM   #11
PhilL
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2, F15 X5 4.0d

Mine works faultlessly at home but sometimes drops out at the office. There doesn't seem to be a definitive answer on the net but what I find works is;

System Preferences -> Network -> Airport -> Advanced.. -> TCP/IP -> Renew DHCP lease -> OK

Then I restart my Macbook and it seems to sort itself out most of the time.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 03:46 AM   #12
Mr.N
BM Baby
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilL View Post
Mine works faultlessly at home but sometimes drops out at the office. There doesn't seem to be a definitive answer on the net but what I find works is;

System Preferences -> Network -> Airport -> Advanced.. -> TCP/IP -> Renew DHCP lease -> OK

Then I restart my Macbook and it seems to sort itself out most of the time.
I'll try this next time - thanks very much