E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Met Police Force...at work

07-05-2010, 04:48 PM   #67
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
I wouldn't be a copper as I believe their hands are 'tied' by red tape, political correctness and a general imbalance of 'power', by which I mean not enough is done for the victims of crime and not enough done to punish the scum and criminals.

I do believe they lay their lives on the line and encounter situations where quite frankly, I would seriously struggle to contain my anger or find it intolerable (the things CID have to see and deal with as well as the copper 'on the beat'). For that I do respect what must be a very difficult job.

I would like to hear the reasons why so many of us feel and believe that not enough is done to catch criminals, why the victim may be arrested for trying to defend themselves, their families and their property. It's going to be the red tape scenario I would hazzard a guess at, ridiculous political correctness, the bloody CPS, lawyers........the Government past/present. How does this make the police feel in trying to do their jobs? Does it create apathy?

I don't give a flying fu*k if the twat committing the crime is black, brown, pink or blue with sky dots, if they're breaking the law they should be dealt with. Why the hell can't we get back to basics and have some serious social stigma to the fact that it is WRONG to commit a criminal offence - end of. And no I'm not on about bloody speeding either. Hell, in Hull they reckon if you get cut down the drug problem, the thieving would drop dramatically almost immediately, but no, go to certain chemists in the city and they're getting their drug substitute for free. don't get me started.

As for the Met. and the vid, well from what I've been told, the Met have always been, not a law unto themselves but operate differently to the provincial police forces. Those in the vid were wrong and not in control imo. I'm sure there's plenty of decent ones.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 05:33 PM   #68
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

I think this is an interesting thread.

Teutonic has certainly satisfied my previous consideration that he is very decent. Furthermore, I applaud a copper actually willing to join a debate like this where it would often be prudent to shake ones head and remain anonymous!!

On the other hand, I doubt (if he had the time) he (or anyone else) could go through this thread and rationally explain away all the bad experiences shared here.

Helen said that better than me, but I agree.

My point of view is still that coppers in 1977 joined for very different reasons than now. I daresay back then you joined because you wanted to, to make a difference, to give back and because it was a sound career.

I honestly believe (and saw with my own two eyes) a shift in the type of folk becoming coppers through the 90's and to today.

Cops used to strut around the gym like peacocks talking about who they were shagging. They wear their gas and batons in a parodoxical way to how a chav wears his ASBO - like a badge of honour they are all too keen to show off.

I'm not as critical of the police as I seem, but there are Police Officers... Heroes who can stand with their heads held high, and then there are pigs.... I won't say what they should be doing, but if you can't walk up to an intelligent, reasonable and sensible man like me and say 'now then, what's this all about' BEFORE you choose to release the dog then what the fuck are you doing claiming to be an enforcer of the law and not just a common thug?

Matt
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 05:58 PM   #69
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonicdriver View Post
I guarantee that most out there would still support the majority of Police Officers despite the odd idiot like him in the original post.

mate, u joined the force and i wasn't even born...

don't kno why u calling me an idiot especially as u didn't even understand any of my ideas....so whos the idiot?

throughout this whole thread, i've been moaning about the priorities set by senior police leadership/ management.

All the stuff you've mentioned, is what i believe a police officer should be dealing with ....I do admire what you've said and this is the kind of police officer this country needs....more people like you.

But unfortunately, the police officers i've met are NOT like you....
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 06:01 PM   #70
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
I wouldn't be a copper as I believe their hands are 'tied' by red tape, political correctness and a general imbalance of 'power', by which I mean not enough is done for the victims of crime and not enough done to punish the scum and criminals.

plus 1 million!!!!!!! ... thats exactly what i've been trying to say....but u got the right words Helen!!! (the feminine touch) ;-)
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 05:59 AM   #71
Teutonicdriver
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Business Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
mate, u joined the force and i wasn't even born...

don't kno why u calling me an idiot especially as u didn't even understand any of my ideas....so whos the idiot?
Im sorry mate, the idiot I was referring to was the subject of the first post, the officer who wasnt aware of the legislation and dug himself into a hole because he tried to bluff his way out and resorted to inappropriate conduct which brings all into disrepute.
Yes there are few like him, and also a few dishonest ones. (Remember the Police reflect the society from which they are recruited). However I just dont understand how anyone can hate someone just because they carry a warrant card.
What I despise are those who dont give a shit about others and take what they want, do what they want and hurt who they want and respect nobody. Sadly there are many more of them than there are Police Officers.
I tend to agree with much of what Beemerbird said but you need to be aware that Political Correctness and the punishment of criminals are not something the average bobby has any say on. They are just as frustrated (no...more frustrated) than Joe public.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 11:30 AM   #72
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
cool mate....my misunderstanding....

I wish there were more people like you in senior position in the force Teutonic....
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 03:00 PM   #73
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezking View Post

The 2 that arrested me did actually apologise for arresting me afterwards, and said there hands were tied, but they couldn't overlook acts of vigilanti-ism

Max
That illustrates precisely my point about police using common sense and discretion (or lack of it). You should not have accepted a caution without taking legal advice, it will, for example, restrict your ability to visit certain countries, or certainly make it more difficult. Suspect they also took your DNA and fingerprints too - and you were the VICTIM of crime!

Oh, and I do not read the Daily Mail.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 04:15 PM   #74
BigBanana
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Beemer F30 335D

What's wrong with the Daily Mail?

At least it has a print font size that some of us can read !

Also. I never realised the Times was a Labour rag until just before the general election. However, one needs to be more aware of their copy as time progresses..

Bring back hanging.
Appreciate 0