E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > injen intake

02-10-2011, 11:44 AM   #23
M3 Eater
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I just upgraded from DCI to Injen... Been wanting to do it for a while! All I can say is I won't be looking back. Sound, performance, torque, IAT's are all improved. I was always happy with DCI and $90 for new kit will always be the best bang for your buck. The injen new is @ $350. Is it $260 better.... I say no but If you can pick up a used kit for $250 like I did, you'll be happy with improved torque, sound, and some bling under the hood.

OH... you need a tune to realize the potential of any cone intake. If you are stock... go with a drop in.
      02-12-2011, 01:13 PM   #24
M3 Eater
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Eater View Post
I just upgraded from DCI to Injen... Been wanting to do it for a while! All I can say is I won't be looking back. Sound, performance, torque, IAT's are all improved. I was always happy with DCI and $90 for new kit will always be the best bang for your buck. The injen new is @ $350. Is it $260 better.... I say no but If you can pick up a used kit for $250 like I did, you'll be happy with improved torque, sound, and some bling under the hood.

OH... you need a tune to realize the potential of any cone intake. If you are stock... go with a drop in.
Couple of days of driving.... maybe just a touch of a lag when I just tap the pedal but I get a harder punch deeper in the pedal for sure..... By 1/4 throttle I get a smooth steady increase of power all the way to the floor. JB4, ARdps, Cmgs, and Riss OCC all working with this intake on map 3. Im thinking JB4 map 2,12-14psi and this intake would be all you needed for happy times. I drove around map 0 for a few days just to get a feel for it( @7psi) . Its hard to give it fair shake going from map 3 to map 0 and looking for response. I feel like no tune and this intake would look good and sound good under the hood but performance would be dormant there until you could upgrade to more boost.
      02-12-2011, 02:32 PM   #25
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

For the record: dyno was done with hood closed and only one fan... far less wind than would hit it on a highway run... it only gained a few hp and tq, but any gain is a gain

But even if it did lose a little low end tq, the increase in throttle response and sound more than make up for it.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 02:53 PM   #26
SpeedOften
Cone Killing E90
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 M40i

Garage List
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tscdennab View Post
In fact it's the other way around. It's easy to blow cold air on the DCI cones on the dyno, everybody dynoes with the hood open, engine bay heat is not a problem in that setup. The problem is at low speeds and low RPMs. At low speeds because of the engine bay temperatures, and at low RPMs because there is little air going into the engine, and that air needs to be as cold as possible for maximum oxygen contents which translates into torque.
B/c you dyno that way, so everyone does it that way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger View Post
So you're saying that you're imaginary extra power (which i'm discounting, because I dyno with my hood closed) comes from lowering air temps because it causes the air to condense so that you could fit more of it in at one time...

and we're saying that you could just increase the volume of air (I.E. dci over your restrictive bmw airbox) that your container allows and realize that this isn't an NA engine and that the "cool air" you bring in is going to be hot by the time it gets there anyway.

Yes, the DINAN CAI is optimal... but paying that much for an intake is the worst power to dollar on the planet. If the cold air temps mean THAT much to you, just by the stett or the UR and call it a day
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 05:33 PM   #27
competition
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ335i View Post
I have the Injen DCI, paired with the RSD Charge Pipe with HKS BOV from Bavarian and love it! Just installed JB4 and now I love it even more! I didn't really notice low end loss on mine even before JB4. Soundwise, it definitely has a nice sound to it and you can hear the Turbos spool up a lot louder. Just get it man. Do it, don't be scared. LoL.
THIS.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 04:41 PM   #28
M3 Eater
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Ok serious question. Anyone with the injen using ram
Air scoop/scoops? One or two? Anyone blocking off passenger side pushing air to the radiator? I'm thinking about doing that to help keep engine temps lower. So one
Scoop??
      02-13-2011, 04:55 PM   #29
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Eater View Post
Ok serious question. Anyone with the injen using ram
Air scoop/scoops? One or two? Anyone blocking off passenger side pushing air to the radiator? I'm thinking about doing that to help keep engine temps lower. So one
Scoop??
I used one scoop under the intake tract for the injen
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 05:40 PM   #30
tscdennab
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW  [6.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedOften View Post
B/c you dyno that way, so everyone does it that way?
Don't be naive. Every vendor dynoes with the hood open to advertise the most power. Everybody opens the hood to brag about their max power. And because of weak fans, hood open is closer to real life. BUT in the case of dual cones testing, this seriously skews the results. The real world difference between a DCI and a CAI is immense, and I own both and tried both, including on the dyno where I got 7whp more from my custom CAI compared to Injen.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 12:54 AM   #31
dandee23
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: white/peanut butter e93

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
I wtb a dual injen intake for my e93 any sellers?
Appreciate 0