E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Manuals, Invoice/MSRP Pricing, Buying Guides, Bulletins, etc. > Buying a used pre-lci e92 335i coupe, what to look for?

03-11-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
notnow
Bit by Modbug
Rep
Drives: F86

Buying a used pre-lci e92 335i coupe, what to look for?

Have my eyes on a few 335i coupes with around 30k miles on it, they range from 2008 to 2010.

What should i check when i see the car in person?

If the car still has a year warranty, should I still get an inspection done?

I noticed a few of the ones I looked at had a ticking noise in the engine bay and did some googling on that, and most people say it's normal? True fact?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 07:54 AM   #2
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
First, get the full warranty history and CarFAX or similar report. You can do an independent inspection if you're not fully comfortable checking the car out by yourself. Check to make sure all the recalls are done (ie HPFP, latest ECU data etc). Also, see what the maintenance schedule is indicating in the i-Drive / cluster.

Most important thing is to check condition of the turbos. Wastegate rattle is common on these cars and can be a nuisance. You can find videos on youtube of what that sounds like. Also confirm, you don't have excessive smoke coming out of your exhaust, which can be a sign of blown turbo seals. Otherwise, test drive the car thoroughly and check each and every single feature on the car
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
notnow
Bit by Modbug
Rep

If there are recalls that arent done, but it's still under warranty, would I be able to get the recalls done myself?

It's getting inspected as we speak, I did some minor inspections and the only problems i found were the cupholders are somewhat stuck, and the engine makes a ticking noise when I was parked with the windows opened. I went to the dealership to test drive another one with the same model year and it didn't have the ticking noise, but I asked the salesman about the ticking noise they said it is completely normal for some to have the ticking noise.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonton1017 View Post
If there are recalls that arent done, but it's still under warranty, would I be able to get the recalls done myself?

It's getting inspected as we speak, I did some minor inspections and the only problems i found were the cupholders are somewhat stuck, and the engine makes a ticking noise when I was parked with the windows opened. I went to the dealership to test drive another one with the same model year and it didn't have the ticking noise, but I asked the salesman about the ticking noise they said it is completely normal for some to have the ticking noise.

Thanks
Yes, you can get the recalls done at anytime, just less hassle if they were already completed.

The ticking noise is totally normal if it is related to the high flowing fuel injectors. Personally, I've heard all 335s to have it and it is most apparent at idle, especially windows open.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
nightops
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Quote:

Thanks
Do yourself a favor and dont listen to car salesmen when they say something's 'normal'. if you find one you like take it to an indy for 150 or something and let them go thru it with a fine tooth comb. If there are things that come up during this make sure you get in writing all the things they will fix before you take delivery. you don't want to be responsible for fixing stuff or proving there are some defects once you've bought the car even though your under warranty. Many things are considered wear and tear so you should either use them to negotiate the price or make them fix it.
      03-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
notnow
Bit by Modbug
Rep

Thanks for the great info guys.

Inspection came back and the car seems pretty good, they noticed the ticking noise too but apparently it goes away after the car is warmed up.

Either way, I will have to look at the car in person again and do some negotiating and hopefully get a smoking hot deal.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #7
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Quote:
Thanks for the great info guys.

Inspection came back and the car seems pretty good, they noticed the ticking noise too but apparently it goes away after the car is warmed up.

Either way, I will have to look at the car in person again and do some negotiating and hopefully get a smoking hot deal.
Check the right side wheel well for a vent
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...1&d=1269307041

Or these big thick black lines under the hood right between the engine and fan
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...hmentid=102689

That will tell you if the car has an oil cooler. This is a five figure job for someone whose unskilled at DIY work.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #8
notnow
Bit by Modbug
Rep

Thank you for the help, I bought it
It has the vent by the right side wheel well.

Paid BCAA to do a full inspection and 90% of them are good, just a few body dings and wheel scratches.

There are little white spots in the engine bay though, I wiped them off easily, what are they?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #9
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Thank you for the help, I bought it
It has the vent by the right side wheel well.

Paid BCAA to do a full inspection and 90% of them are good, just a few body dings and wheel scratches.

There are little white spots in the engine bay though, I wiped them off easily, what are they?
If they are white is probably COOLANT. Check coolant level and congrats
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #10
notnow
Bit by Modbug
Rep

Thanks, coolant level is fine, never had a car with coolant splashes in the engine bay O.o
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #11
Krauzen
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335xi

You should be able to request for the car's maintenance history from the dealership. I was able to trace my car's recall records. The fuel injectors, high pressure fuel pump, and low pressure fuel sensors were all replaced at the same time. I just received the recall notice for the battery cable a few days ago and have made an appointment to have it done. Congrats on the new ride!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #12
Bimmer28312
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW N55 335xi

Congrats on the car! I am currently looking for my own 335i and want to stay under30k. Are you from the bay area?
Appreciate 0