E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Need help ASAP

10-24-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
Wolf
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: on hold

Question Need help ASAP

So I am buying my relative a 2008 335xi and need your help asap. this is the history report. HPFP or HDP has been replaced because it had a recall on it... asking price 29.5k... what do you think about the service history and the price?
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
BMW have tapped into this by mirroring typical BMW dynamics and steering communication within the new UKL cars.
You mean massive body roll, a steering system that is not connected to the front wheels, and the engine note played through the speaker system?!?!?!?!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 12:20 PM   #2
reaper335
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [8.00]
i don't see anything unusual or questionable. coupe or sedan? sedans are usually in the 30-35k range with coupes being slightly higher. i'd test drive it a couple of times and just pay attention to how the car feels. and ask for a carfax report
      10-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #3
Wolf
Captain
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper335 View Post
i don't see anything unusual or questionable. coupe or sedan? sedans are usually in the 30-35k range with coupes being slightly higher. i'd test drive it a couple of times and just pay attention to how the car feels. and ask for a carfax report
its a coupe.. 29k is too low?
BMW have tapped into this by mirroring typical BMW dynamics and steering communication within the new UKL cars.
You mean massive body roll, a steering system that is not connected to the front wheels, and the engine note played through the speaker system?!?!?!?!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
reaper335
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [8.00]
yea that's a great deal so id def ask for that carfax and look around the car and drive it to see if you notice anything off about the car. is it a cpo?
      10-24-2011, 12:24 PM   #5
Royal Flush
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

What packages does it come with? Is it CPO? How many miles are on it?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 12:28 PM   #6
Wolf
Captain
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper335 View Post
yea that's a great deal so id def ask for that carfax and look around the car and drive it to see if you notice anything off about the car. is it a cpo?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Flush View Post
What packages does it come with? Is it CPO? How many miles are on it?
yes CPO... ZCW, ZSP, CA, NAV... 24k miles
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 12:29 PM   #7
Royal Flush
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
yes CPO... ZCW, ZSP, CA, NAV... 24k miles
Hm, seems like a pretty good deal for a fully loaded, low mileage ,CPO'd E92. What dealership are you trying to purchase it from? You could always get it inspected at an indy shop to be sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 12:40 PM   #8
Wolf
Captain
Lebanon
Rep

did the 2008 ZCW package come with heated seats?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 12:55 PM   #9
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
So I am buying my relative a 2008 335xi and need your help asap. this is the history report. HPFP or HDP has been replaced because it had a recall on it... asking price 29.5k... what do you think about the service history and the price?
There are two unusual enties that caught my attention - two microfilter replacements in 18k miles and a new set of brakes at 18k.

Brakes don't need replacement in 18k miles with normal driving and, IIRC, the first microfilter replacement is due around the second oil change at about 30-34k miles.

The filter isn't serious but could mean a mold issue that they can't get rid of.

The brakes could mean that the car was abused. Have it checked carefully by a skilled mechanic. You don't want to hear "you made me buy this piece of crap" for the next several years.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 01:01 PM   #10
Wolf
Captain
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
There are two unusual enties that caught my attention - two microfilter replacements in 18k miles and a new set of brakes at 18k.

Brakes don't need replacement in 18k miles with normal driving and, IIRC, the first microfilter replacement is due around the second oil change at about 30-34k miles.

The filter isn't serious but could mean a mold issue that they can't get rid of.

The brakes could mean that the car was abused. Have it checked carefully by a skilled mechanic. You don't want to hear "you made me buy this piece of crap" for the next several years.
hmm I didn't notice the 18k brake pad change. thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #11
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep

Quote:
hmm I didn't notice the 18k brake pad change. thanks
In addition, it looks like the brake flush was a year late. No real excuse for that since it was in for an airbag sensor fix at around the same time.

The microfilter could be a problem if there is a mold issue they can't fix - or it could be as easy as finding the right dealer to do the proper fix. It is possible that the dealer just swapped out the filters on a "I smell musty air" complaint.

The early work brake pads could be an indicator that the owner drove it like a bat out of hell. Maybe this was Shaheed's car?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 01:18 PM   #12
Wolf
Captain
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
In addition, it looks like the brake flush was a year late. No real excuse for that since it was in for an airbag sensor fix at around the same time.

The microfilter could be a problem if there is a mold issue they can't fix - or it could be as easy as finding the right dealer to do the proper fix. It is possible that the dealer just swapped out the filters on a "I smell musty air" complaint.

The early work brake pads could be an indicator that the owner drove it like a bat out of hell. Maybe this was Shaheed's car?
good thing the car is a CPO. it has a sweat deal so any problem with the microfilter, dealer will just swap it.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 01:25 PM   #13
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep

Quote:
good thing the car is a CPO. it has a sweat deal so any problem with the microfilter, dealer will just swap it.
I'm not sure that filters are covered under CPO but that is immaterial anyway as the microfilters don't fix the mold problem. The only thing that works is scrubbing the system with something like Frigi-Fresh.

For me, both the filter and the brakes are things that I would want an explanation of before my put my money down.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 01:44 PM   #14
Stein67
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

Price looks decent. I bought my 08 335i E90 w 24,600 miles, CPO, but no nav two weeks ago for $28,000 as a point of reference.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 02:13 PM   #15
5tony
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M5/'15 X5 35i/'88 M3

Brakes could have been replaced due to squealing.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 02:18 PM   #16
Royal Flush
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tony View Post
Keyword: could, so OP should definitely check on it like ceb suggested.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 02:45 PM   #17
Wolf
Captain
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stein67 View Post
Price looks decent. I bought my 08 335i E90 w 24,600 miles, CPO, but no nav two weeks ago for $28,000 as a point of reference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tony View Post
Quote:
Keyword: could, so OP should definitely check on it like ceb suggested.
Quote:
I'm not sure that filters are covered under CPO but that is immaterial anyway as the microfilters don't fix the mold problem. The only thing that works is scrubbing the system with something like Frigi-Fresh.

For me, both the filter and the brakes are things that I would want an explanation of before my put my money down.
Thanks a lot guys... test drove and bought!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 02:55 PM   #18
witeagle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 14 BMW Z4 2.8i * 10 BMW X3

Quote:
Uh oh, too late now that you bought it. I just have a concern that they had to replace the wiper blades - means the prior owner drove the car in the rain!

The Microfilters - maybe the prior owner just had an odd smell so they changed it. Since the car is low milage, maybe they did it based on time, similar to an oil change every 15k miles or once a year.

Hope your relative enjoys the car and that was nice of you to buy it for them.
      10-24-2011, 02:55 PM   #19
Royal Flush
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What'd they say about the brakes?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 03:03 PM   #20
Wolf
Captain
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
What'd they say about the brakes?
I forgot to ask my relative... will ask him as soon as I see him. he did all the talking
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 03:04 PM   #21
Wolf
Captain
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeagle View Post

Uh oh, too late now that you bought it. I just have a concern that they had to replace the wiper blades - means the prior owner drove the car in the rain!

The Microfilters - maybe the prior owner just had an odd smell so they changed it. Since the car is low milage, maybe they did it based on time, similar to an oil change every 15k miles or once a year.

Hope your relative enjoys the car and that was nice of you to buy it for them.
thanks yes car was driven in the rain
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 06:17 PM   #22
ChuckBMW3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 335i

Sounds like you got a steal of a deal. Congrats OP!
Appreciate 0