E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 335i buying advice

03-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #23
Subzero2003
Captain

Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktyler View Post
Apart from the normal things like recalls, warranty work, service etc. Be sure to start it from cold (dead cold) and see if there is a loud metallic rattling noise coming from the drivers side of the engine bay for the first 30-45 secs as the idle calms. If so it has knackered wastegates and the turbos will need replacing.

this will be a problem with most 335i's this age that havent already had replacements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch8 View Post
lol yes i agree! still looking mate

I did find one and it was mint but had the dreaded turbo rattle when i rev`d it
This is a very black and white view on it, which isn't wholly accurate. Mine has a slight rattle on a completely cold startup for 30-45seconds which has done it for the past 15 months since i got the software updated by BMW. The turbos show no sign of failing, no noises, feel completely linear and are very responsive from low rpm's.

A rattle from cold startup can be a whole host of things, most of the time, loose heatshields, loose screws or exhaust flaps that resonating due to the higher RPM (and therefore pitch/frequency of the noise) of a cold start up. A rattle on start up does NOT instantly mean that the turbos are failing. For instance:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494769

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=675746

If it is the waste gates rattling, again this is not a definitive sign of them failing. Since 2006 when BMW released the N54, they've had problems with the wastegates rattling. They updated cars with rattley wastegates with new software to keep the wastegates completely open, then this introduced lag, which then meant they produced a new bit of software which closed and opened them at certain times etc etc. I'm not completely sure of the in's and out's of every software update they've done to fix this problem, but it is a design flaw which causes the wastegate rattle, but it isn't a design flaw that will make them die quicker or indicates a problem. It's just an annoyance.

I don't think i've heard a 335i that is running fairly up to date software, on OEM MHI BMW turbos that doesn't have a very slight rattle on revving or a small rattling on cold startup.
      03-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #24
djgandy
Captain

Drives: E92 335i MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Depends what kind of noise you get. The N54 is a noisy engine. Mine used to make this horrible ticking noise at the start of this video, but that seems to have gone now and it just makes the direct injected crickets sound.

Last edited by djgandy; 03-05-2013 at 06:41 PM.
      03-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #25
Subzero2003
Captain

Drives: E92 335i

Oh, yeah, that doesn't sound like a good noise. No idea what that could be? Some kind of loose belt/tensioner?

If it's doing this - then yes, you probably have a rattly wastegate:

Most other SLIGHT rattles at cold startup that disappear within 20 seconds aren't anything to worry about on the 335i IMO.

Last edited by Subzero2003; 03-05-2013 at 12:56 PM.