E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > MMW: Supercharged N52 e90 328i - 5/18/12

Closed Thread

05-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #45
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by C ///M View Post
And that is still with 250rwhp at ~5000rpm? I imagine the final product will be significantly faster.

Question, why the concern with awd? The front differential? Isn't it the same as the 335xi front diff? Sorry, haven't checked part numbers yet.

I'd really like to see some daylight engine bay shots if you have some ready. Also, if you are feeling super generous, any intake drawings or designs to share? The way you have the shorter hard tube going to the flexible tube, will that remain? I like the shorter hard tube in case I pickup a kit, I can run a custom setup to utilize the greater amount of space in my X3.
Oh it will be much faster

It's not a concern for AWD, it's just the AWD cars have more drivetrain loss, so it will naturally have less power for a given setup VS. a RWD car.

We are going out for Day shots today (After the King's Game )
So i will have some of those too a little later.

THE INTAKE:
As I said earlier, the intake on it is not a production part its just a test tube that runs fine because this kit is still 90% finished and the intake is still being produced, but will be done end of next week. I just wanted to get it to Bimmerfest and take some videos and stuff for you guys in the mean time.

That Flex tube will not remain on any of the final stuff, it is just for me to run around with and for us to work on while the real one is being done.

The hard tube is the general intake mold pipe, so it will remain but a more refined version obviously. The Flex tube will be replaced with a solid tube as well next week.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 05:39 PM   #46
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Ballpark price? At least the first number in the price would be good enough for me to know.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #47
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrom View Post
Ballpark price? At least the first number in the price would be good enough for me to know.
x2
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 07:01 PM   #48
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Right around $6500 all said and done is what i expect to be at. Shipping included
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #49
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Daytime shots:

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 08:53 PM   #50
tIANCi
Private
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: E90 325 LCI

Gavin ... Thanks. Would love to see your dyno chart when all is ready. I have a N52 2.5 and have been keen to SC her, for me an extra 50-75HP will make me a happy bunny. Some local workshops here feel that that much increase may need engine mods. I wonder if they know what they are saying or they just want to make more moolahs outta me.
      05-20-2012, 11:26 PM   #51
lowandslow
Rep
Drives: e90

DAM...thats sexy as hell...
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 12:30 AM   #52
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

lol dont mean to be a douch or anything but why dose the MMW on the S/C look like its colored in with a sharpie lol only reason i say is cause ive done some what the same! lol
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 05:14 AM   #53
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Rather than standing start can you please do stock vs. supercharged 40mph-100mph side by side? Standing start brings in too many uncontrollable variables to the comparison.
      05-21-2012, 05:46 AM   #54
redlinedbimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i 6 speed

should also try to get one of the s/c 328i vs. a stock 335i with the same transmission
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 06:46 AM   #55
_Ryan_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

Garage List
2005 BMW 130i  [5.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin@MMW
Quote:
Right around $6500 all said and done is what i expect to be at. Shipping included
And that will see my manual rwd 130i making around 260rwkw with only the BMWP muffler?

How much more work to use 6 larger injectors instead of the additional injector setup?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 08:58 AM   #56
C ///M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 M3 & '07 X3 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ryan_ View Post
And that will see my manual rwd 130i making around 260rwkw with only the BMWP muffler?

How much more work to use 6 larger injectors instead of the additional injector setup?
I asked that a while back and I think the answer was quite a bit, but I'll wait for Gavin to answer. I'm totally guessing here, so please no one take this idea to heart, but being the tuning took quite some time, i think it was hard enough as it is. I would imagine that remapping with 6 larger injectors would be even more difficult than using the 2 extra injectors to compensate for the system.

Although, I'm getting very interested in this kit, but if I do it, I'll probably run 6 larger injectors and ask Eurocharged to do some custom tuning. Of course I'd have to talk to Gavin about a discounted kit as I wouldn't use the piggy back or extra injectors and lines, etc...
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 10:43 AM   #57
Dr. Nate
Nate Dogg
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Saloon

Quote:
Although, I'm getting very interested in this kit, but if I do it, I'll probably run 6 larger injectors and ask Eurocharged to do some custom tuning. Of course I'd have to talk to Gavin about a discounted kit as I wouldn't use the piggy back or extra injectors and lines, etc...
Yeah I was under the impression that they were running it. Slapping an extra injector and a piggy backed FICM is not exactly properly tuning. I wonder how lean the car was running on just the six stock injectors.

-Nate
      05-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #58
C ///M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 M3 & '07 X3 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Nate View Post
Yeah I was under the impression that they were running it. Slapping an extra injector and a piggy backed FICM is not exactly properly tuning. I wonder how lean the car was running on just the six stock injectors.

-Nate
I don't believe Gavin ever ran it without the extra 2 injectors, but if I had to guess, I don't think it would run lean with the 6 stockers with the right tuning (at his current output level), but they'd probably be near max duty cycle and they wouldn't last long.

From what Gavin has said, he's using a pretty advanced piggy back. I don't know enough about the situation or piggy backs in general to comment though.

Last edited by C ///M; 05-21-2012 at 11:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 11:59 AM   #59
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evice View Post
Rather than standing start can you please do stock vs. supercharged 40mph-100mph side by side? Standing start brings in too many uncontrollable variables to the comparison.
I can do the higher speed runs after we get all the final stuff situated on the car and im able to run full boost, but yes I will definitely be able to do these for you guys also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlinedbimmer View Post
should also try to get one of the s/c 328i vs. a stock 335i with the same transmission

Will be doing this also when I am at 100%

In the videos I am shifting at 5k, so im not even using the powerband all too much.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #60
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I asked that a while back and I think the answer was quite a bit, but I'll wait for Gavin to answer. I'm totally guessing here, so please no one take this idea to heart, but being the tuning took quite some time, i think it was hard enough as it is. I would imagine that remapping with 6 larger injectors would be even more difficult than using the 2 extra injectors to compensate for the system.

Exactly, The car doesn't really like 6 larger injectors it actually works better with the little fuel rail we made for it and added 2, you can even see it in some of the shots I posted, next to the power steering res. This will also let us shoot Meth as well.

Tuning this has taken quite some time, and to be safe - I wont sell it without the proper tuning. Last thing I want to see is someones car with my hardware on it, that a different shop tuned and have it pop for some reason. No way. It's not worth the risk to let someone else mess with this and have damage done to a car from tuning MMW didn't supply.

Im sure some of you are thinking "Powerbox" when you hear Piggy Back, but that could not be farther from reality.

The unit we use stores tune files on it, and constantly adjusts signals as the car runs and demands for power raise and lower. It is able to manage 24 injectors, meth injection, No2 if you feel like getting crazy, timing, A/F, boost, error management, data storage - it's far beyond that of an ordinary piggy back. It's similar to running 2 ECU's (OEM + MMW), or a Dual Core Processor - They work in tandem to achieve the same goal.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 03:07 PM   #61
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Couple of questions:

For N52 owners is this more reliable (or at least as reliable) as just taking the money and trading for a 135i/335i? How long can you run it on the street or track before heat issues?

Are the headers required? What do you lose if you don't have them?

Lastly how much weight does the full kit add and what does it do to the front/rear weight balance?

Any change to the minimum AKI/octane gasoline that must be used?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #62
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1
Couple of questions:

For N52 owners is this more reliable (or at least as reliable) as just taking the money and trading for a 135i/335i? How long can you run it on the street or track before heat issues?

Are the headers required? What do you lose if you don't have them?

Lastly how much weight does the full kit add and what does it do to the front/rear weight balance?

Any change to the minimum AKI/octane gasoline that must be used?
Not as reliable as a 335
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #63
IB6UB9ok
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xDrive Estoril Blue

Garage List
Hey Gavin,

Good work. What kind of numbers are we looking at for a 330i? Rwhp and tq
BMS PBX/full OEM M-Tech/Perf SSK/Perf strut bar/Perf exhaust/Perf steering wheel/Perf CF trunk spoiler/Perf Handbrake lever/AFe Stage 2 intake/Powerstop drilled and slotted rotors all around/Powerstop Carbon Ceramic pads/M3 front Control Arms/SS brake lines/Koni Yellows/H&R sport springs/Pilot Super Sports all around/PIAA angel eyes/matte black grills/CF splitters/20% tints all-around
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #64
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorocious View Post
Not as reliable as a 335
Oh, you've taken Gavin's 328 on the track? Cool! I assume you've also put several thousand miles of street testing because that's what it takes to make a conclusion like that.

Ok seriously now, any statements regarding reliability are complete speculation. No one knows. The only people who can make an accurate guess about reliability are the ones who worked on this project. They know what's modified and they hopefully have done the proper research which I have confidence that they have.

Oh and BTW, Gavin, if you want someone to track test it I'll be at Laguna Seca on July 8th. lol
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #65
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Three pages and no one asks about the weaker magnesium block being used with a S/C said to put more power to the ground than the block BMW deemed needed to be beefed up for 300bhp?

Those are some nice looking headers. What are the size of the primaries?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #66
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot

Oh, you've taken Gavin's 328 on the track? Cool! I assume you've also put several thousand miles of street testing because that's what it takes to make a conclusion like that.

Ok seriously now, any statements regarding reliability are complete speculation. No one knows. The only people who can make an accurate guess about reliability are the ones who worked on this project. They know what's modified and they hopefully have done the proper research which I have confidence that they have.

Oh and BTW, Gavin, if you want someone to track test it I'll be at Laguna Seca on July 8th. lol
Anything coming from Gavin would be a conflict of interest. Based upon his professionalism if something broke I doubt he would post it up.

Let's see if anyone coughs up the dough for this pipe dream and we shall see how reliable it really is.
Sure I'm being speculative, but I'm sure the majority would agree with me. Prove me wrong, more power to ya
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread