Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Wheel quality? Alufelgen, Avant Garde, VMR?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

08-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
JaSSon
Down with the N54.
Rep
Drives: I has a E92!

Wheel quality? Alufelgen, Avant Garde, VMR?

Are these quality wheels? Have owners of these wheels had good experiences? Are they made of a quality material that won't bend on the first pot hole I hit? I cant find a replacement for my LC808, so I may be forced to but a new set. Looking at the AG M359, AG M335, Alufelgen SF-71, Alufelgen CS7, and VMR VB3 CSL reps.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by JaSSon; 08-29-2012 at 09:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 08:58 AM   #2
JaSSon
Down with the N54.
Rep

Nothing?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 09:02 AM   #3
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Most people have good things to say about them. So for reps, they have good reputations.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #4
woot335woot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Xdrive

They are all comparable brands that are low-pressure cast to OEM standards. Pick which ones you like best.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Alufelgen's are nice looking wheels no doubt, but I have not been impressed with their durability despite the claims they are super strong wheels. Two of my rims have bent so far. When I say bent, they are/were out of round to the point where they could not be balanced. There is no physical signs of damage (they still look new).

I avoid potholes like the plague as well as any other road imperfection that might cause me/my wheels problems, but admittedly I have hit a few road imperfections that were jarring, but I would not expect the rims to have bent so easily if this is what caused it esp since there are no physical signs of impact to the tire or the wheel. I do not live/drive in the city, I'm in suburbia.

I will say Alufelgen stepped up to the plate and swapped out of one of my wheels, so from that standpoint the company backed their product.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 10:29 AM   #6
JBax
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot335woot View Post
They are all comparable brands that are low-pressure cast to OEM standards. Pick which ones you like best.
VMR is gravity cast IIRC

To the OP...it all depends on what you want. Style, finish, concavity, width, weight, price and so on. I think as far as quality they are all pretty similar although low pressure casting is supposed to be superior to gravity casting so take that for what its worth.
JB4, Alufelgen SF-71, DCI, VRSF DPs, Meth, AR Meth Elbow, AWE BOVs, Catless Exhaust, BMS OCC, ETS FMIC, ECS Strut Bar, ER Engine Cover, M Sport Steering Wheel Trim, LEDs, 20% Tint, Macht Schnell Spacers, ACS Roof Spoiler, ACS Pedals, ACS E-Brake Handle, Blacklines, M3 Steering Wheel w/DCT Paddles, Gunmetal Kidneys, Black Finisher Rods

Last edited by JBax; 08-30-2012 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #7
woot335woot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBax View Post
VMR is gravity cast IIRC

To the OP...it all depends on what you want. Style, finish, concavity, width, weight, price and so on. I think as far as quality they are all pretty similar although low pressure casting is supposed to be superior to gravity casting so take that for what its worth.
To me, if they meet OEM standards, they're all the same.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 11:03 AM   #8
JaSSon
Down with the N54.
Rep

Great input fellas.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 02:54 PM   #9
dinkoh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 lemon/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
Alufelgen's are nice looking wheels no doubt, but I have not been impressed with their durability despite the claims they are super strong wheels. Two of my rims have bent so far. When I say bent, they are/were out of round to the point where they could not be balanced. There is no physical signs of damage (they still look new).

I avoid potholes like the plague as well as any other road imperfection that might cause me/my wheels problems, but admittedly I have hit a few road imperfections that were jarring, but I would not expect the rims to have bent so easily if this is what caused it esp since there are no physical signs of impact to the tire or the wheel. I do not live/drive in the city, I'm in suburbia.

I will say Alufelgen stepped up to the plate and swapped out of one of my wheels, so from that standpoint the company backed their product.
Good info -- I was considering them. Glad they replaced your wheels. I would find it a hassle and waste of time to still go through all that trouble in the first place.
Appreciate 0