E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > 6 i-drive shortcuts

04-02-2007, 05:13 AM   #23
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassaxi View Post
I'll admit that I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to things like this, but I generally think it's a bad idea to store a "home" address. If your car is stolen, a "home" address gives the crooks a map, with turn-by-turn directions (and now real time traffic info) to your house.
So does the registration card in your glove compartment. I agree that for portable GPS units it's a good idea not to have that information in there - because they are more apt to be stolen. Someone suggested making an address near your home the "home" address - which is a good idea for portable units. This could also be done for integrated systems if that is a concern. Perhaps an address one or two streets away, a local convinience store, etc.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2007, 05:57 AM   #24
Lassaxi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: April ED - E90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
So does the registration card in your glove compartment.
True, but something just seems different to me about handing someone directions vs. just an address. I know that it's easy enough to find a home from the address on the registration card, but still...
      04-02-2007, 06:28 AM   #25
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
True, but something just seems different to me about handing someone directions vs. just an address. I know that it's easy enough to find a home from the address on the registration card, but still...
I'm not making light of your cautious attitude... I agree that it's better to be safe. But there is no way to completely prevent that information from becomming known under certain circumstances. If a mugger takes your wallet he has your address too...

Contrary to popular TV and movie scenarios, most petty criminals (such as muggers and car theives) are not interested in stalking you after the crime and making your life a living Hell. They want a quick getaway and to remain unknown.

If a thief gets my car, well - he gets my car. If he comes to my house he has no idea what is in store for him... but I do, and I'm willing to replace the carpet afterwards.

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2007, 09:54 AM   #26
kuthair
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Sedan 6MT

hrmm.. they came up with this new-fangled IDrive design so they could have a sparse dash board with few buttons...

Now, they've added buttons to the IDrive.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2007, 10:22 AM   #27
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuthair View Post
hrmm.. they came up with this new-fangled IDrive design so they could have a sparse dash board with few buttons...

Now, they've added buttons to the IDrive.
You're right, they shouldn't update technology or enhance the vehicle in any way to respond to customer feedback. There should only be an AM radio in the dash.

I've always considered the iDrive bashers - particularly the journalists - to be inept cry babies, but I think the addition of the buttons allows many sayers of nay to program a shortcut directly to an often used function. Certainly one is not forced to use them... just like common audio presets.

As far as the asthetics, it does not detract, in my opinion from the dash controls nor does it add clutter or complexity.

Not everyone will like them, but I think most will. There are still people who prefer the dash design of the E46.

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2007, 10:39 AM   #28
kuthair
Captain
Rep

Quote:
You're right, they shouldn't update technology or enhance the vehicle in any way to respond to customer feedback. There should only be an AM radio in the dash.

I've always considered the iDrive bashers - particularly the journalists - to be inept cry babies, but I think the addition of the buttons allows many sayers of nay to program a shortcut directly to an often used function. Certainly one is not forced to use them... just like common audio presets.

As far as the asthetics, it does not detract, in my opinion from the dash controls nor does it add clutter or complexity.

Not everyone will like them, but I think most will. There are still people who prefer the dash design of the E46.
Sorry, I didnt mean to say I dont think they should have put the buttons in. I wish I had the buttons.

The last thing I meant by my post is to keep technology at bay. Please innovate, but please do it wisely. And they should absolutely listen to our feedback. I just think they got it all wrong with IDrive, and adding extra buttons as shortcuts is proof of that.

IDrive is a pain in the ass to use, it's not very intuitive. Here's an example, how do u go to Radio Preset 1:

1. Go to Entertainment section, push knob down direction.
2. Select FM and push down on knob.
3. Scroll to Preset 1 thru all the other presets.

It's slow and inept. It stops to play all the other presets as I'm scrolling to the first 1.

10+ years ago, if you wanted to go to Preset 1, you pushed a single button and everybody knew what those buttons did, so why in 2007 do I have to read a car manual to get to my first radio preset? (I'm exaggerating to make a point)

Adding these shortcut buttons will most assuredly make it MUCH better, and I wish I had them.

I dunno, maybe I'm just spoiled, maybe I'm just expecting to much. I came from an A4 and that had the best interior in its class, imo.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2007, 10:42 AM   #29
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
No, your point is valid. I'm sure the buttons are response to just that realization. I haven't spent much time playing yet with iDrive to a deep extent or especially the voice commands - but my goal is to use voice commands whenever possible.

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2007, 10:51 AM   #30
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4

I haven't received my car yet, but is there no way to create a shortcut like in the PC?
It would make sense that there is 1 area where all you have is shortcuts and you select them with your knob.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2007, 10:51 AM   #31
kuthair
Captain
Rep

Quote:
No, your point is valid. I'm sure the buttons are response to just that realization. I haven't spent much time playing yet with iDrive to a deep extent or especially the voice commands - but my goal is to use voice commands whenever possible.
Good luck with it! The nav kicks ass, and I found the voice commands work better the longer you wait after you press the button (just dont try to saying Auxillary Audio On ).

Last edited by kuthair; 04-02-2007 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: added quote
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2007, 02:04 PM   #32
abc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctic View Post
Yes, if you have iDrive.
i see. i thought for the e92 we'd have to wait until into Sept./Oct. for '08' model.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2007, 12:45 AM   #33
Thor
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan (on order)

Can you shortcut to the EQ settings?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2007, 06:15 AM   #34
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Can you shortcut to the EQ settings?
No.

I don't have Logic 7, but are the EQ settings stored for each separate audio source?

So far I've stored some Sirrius channels. I'll probably add home NAV address too. Thought about phone number, but the voice commands are easy enough for that.

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2007, 07:42 AM   #35
pnkflyd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Awaiting 328 xi Montego blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkeng View Post
What is everyone with the new i-drive unit using the shortcut buttons for?
I haven't set any of the six on the dash yet.
Steering wheel top (diamond): change entertainment mode
Steering wheel bottom (star): display phonebook
Considering for 1-6: call home, Sirius 22, Sirius 100, FM 93.1, ????

Seems like you don't really need to enter i-drive for basic climate functions, like a/c, defog, temp and fan settings; they're right on the dash, like any car.

I stilll have to set up my buttons . I had so many stuff to take care of after owning a car after a year , MAN that was a long wait but totally worth
Ordered 2/1/07, Reordered 2/22/07, Production started 2/28/07, Production complete 3/7/07 . At port 3/9/07, On board MAERSK TEAL :rocks: 3/12/07, Reaches NY 3/23/07 and thought she will be in my arms on 4/2/07:But finally on 4/4/2007
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 01:45 AM   #36
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Ok i just read my manual and for some reason I couldnt find how to save things to the preset buttons. Only thing i knew was the radio and thats it.

How do i save the oil level and navigation "home" to be available for a preset button?
      06-27-2007, 05:53 AM   #37
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Bimmer View Post
Ok i just read my manual and for some reason I couldnt find how to save things to the preset buttons. Only thing i knew was the radio and thats it.

How do i save the oil level and navigation "home" to be available for a preset button?
You can't set a button for you oil level.

For a navi destination, you must first enter the destination and then start guidance to it. Once that's done you can set a button for it.

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 04:41 PM   #38
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Thanks sir!
      06-28-2007, 05:23 AM   #39
reddragon
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Buttons

I will set them to;
1. change a tire
2. fill up the tank
3. eject my wife when she is a pain in my ass
4. cloak mode
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2007, 08:31 AM   #40
GTownUDM
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
I'll admit that I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to things like this, but I generally think it's a bad idea to store a "home" address. If your car is stolen, a "home" address gives the crooks a map, with turn-by-turn directions (and now real time traffic info) to your house.
You can use the entrance of your neighborhood as "home". Or better yet pick a neighbor you don't like and use their address!!
Appreciate 0