E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Thinking of trading my 335 for an SLK55

12-25-2009, 02:26 PM   #45
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
We are all going to die.
Not until tomorrow.

Freshwhite, do what Gonzo says, re: buying a used car. Listen to him!

Come on, it's simply a money game. Nothing more.

The cars the dealer has on the lot are commodities. Food on their table. You have to see it as a commodity, too.

It's frustrating to read these posts. They got you because you seem to want the car and just to get the deal over with. Why are you starting out in your negotiations at the point where they already know in their heads they are happy ending up at? Always start at zero then reach a compromise that works for you (and you only.)

Pretend you're a hard core capitalist just doing a pure business deal. Be in charge of the game. No emotions. Patience. Learn to say no. Learn to walk away. Realize opportunities are everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2009, 02:44 PM   #46
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

OP is thinking with his emotions!

listen to gonzo he knows what he is talking about!

OP obviously has no car buying or negotiating skills or experience.
      12-25-2009, 03:39 PM   #47
freshwhite335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991/RR Sport AB

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
ive actually been pretty successful at car negotiations in the past. My current car was listed for $40995 and my trade was "worth" $32000 according to every dealership in town. I'm in the same situation I am in now, I didn't need a new car, I wanted a new car. I had $4000 to spend to get a new car and I got them to take my trade for $35000 and my BMW down to $36900 because it had been on the lot for a while and it was the end of the month. That's one more point I am going to bring up tomorrow when I call about the Mercedes, its the end of the month and I want to take one of their cars off the books.

The car I traded in for the BMW I bought from a dealer that went to auction for me. I told them not a penny over $51500 and the Manheim paperwork said they bought the car for $49800. That doesn't include what it cost them to get to the auction from their home base, so that pleased me.

So tomorrow when I call I'm going to say "$2500 is what I want to spend to do the trade if we can do it great, if not call me if and when you can do it"
Does that sound good to everyone? lol. Also.. what if I suggest they don't need to prep the car. I assume it probably costs $200-$250. I'd rather just bring it home dirty because I'll have to drive it home from Atlanta and then have it detailed when I get back to Jacksonville.
How do I make these compromises without seeming desperate? Which I really am not, because I can find another car, I just like this one in particular.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2009, 05:00 PM   #48
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep

imho, if $2500 is the limit you have set for yourself, then start out lower. Eventually you and the dealer will reach that $2500 (or even lower) and you've made your deal.

Why do you insist on starting out at the limit you've given yourself? It makes no sense.

You have to set a limit on any sale of any kind. Otherwise emotion sets in and you're all over the place. Set $2500 as your highest price. But don't start from there. And if it can't be done for the price you have set for yourself, then move on.

Do you get it???

And no, don't offer for them not to prep the car. Get it prepped. Why are you compromising yourself?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2009, 06:01 PM   #49
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

OP is too nice person.....
what have you got to lose? you got bmw already
offer them, they dont accept, walk away. the longer you drive your BMW, cheaper SLKs will get.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2009, 06:32 PM   #50
Boost Gomez
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
OP why don't you just listen to gonzo, he's giving you valuable info and you keep replying back going directly against his advice. Ask for the even trade that way you can work up to what you're willing to spend. If you offer what you're willing to spend, the dealer will take more cash from you. If you don't mind losing money, then do it your way. Otherwise, pay attention to gonzo's posts. He's only helping you out. When he says even trade, he means even trade not $2500. Don't be stubborn, reserve that for your negotiations with the dealer.
      12-25-2009, 07:38 PM   #51
freshwhite335
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
i realize the advice is good, and i want to use it, but the dealer has already said no to an even trade. That's where I dont know what to do. How do I proceed with the dealer I've already contacted when I've already said my limit?

im going, in person, to look at an SLK55 tomorrow in Orlando. Its an 06 wth 15000 miles and they have it unrealistically priced at $45k. I' I will start off with an even trade and if they say "no" then where do u go from there? Or is the price just so high its not even worth trying to make a deal?

If I buy the SLK in Atlanta I'd almost rather they didnt prep it. It's just one more layer of wax my detail guy will have to take off when I have him do a "new" car prep detail on it.

I also found an 05 with 35000 miles in IN listed at $318xx, the same price as the 41000 mile car in Atlanta. Can I use that as leverage?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2009, 07:43 PM   #52
Boost Gomez
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwhite335 View Post
i realize the advice is good, and i want to use it, but the dealer has already said no to an even trade. That's where I dont know what to do. How do I proceed with the dealer I've already contacted when I've already said my limit?

im going, in person, to look at an SLK55 tomorrow in Orlando. Its an 06 wth 15000 miles and they have it unrealistically priced at $45k. I' I will start off with an even trade and if they say "no" then where do u go from there? Or is the price just so high its not even worth trying to make a deal?

If I buy the SLK in Atlanta I'd almost rather they didnt prep it. It's just one more layer of wax my detail guy will have to take off when I have him do a "new" car prep detail on it.

I also found an 05 with 35000 miles in IN listed at $318xx, the same price as the 41000 mile car in Atlanta. Can I use that as leverage?
You can definitely use the fact that you have other available options to your advantage. You can basically go with whichever dealer gives you the best deal.
      12-25-2009, 07:45 PM   #53
freshwhite335
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Gomez View Post
You can definitely use the fact that you have other available options to your advantage. You can basically go with whichever dealer gives you the best deal.
in reality i cant though. because i want to trade my car in and driving to Indy to do the trade is going to be a bitch
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2009, 07:43 AM   #54
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

I hope everyone had a great day!

My 10 year old niece gave me a little picture she painted. Best gift ever.

OP. Don't get all wound up. And I bet a dollar you didn't sleep well because you are letting this get a grip on you.

Relax. You are the boss here, believe it or not. FYI. It may cost 700 to ship from IN to FL. Easy for them to swallow to do the deal.

As bad/slow as things are that dealer is saying to him or herself "I would take 500 profit RIGHT NOW to move that car".

Dealers come off as bullies or hardcore. Behind the scenes they are desperate. It is a front intended to get and keep you in that ether.

"I want it, I want it, I want it". Do you really want them to make 5 or 6K or more on you? I know they have to make money too but that is a head knocker on this price range and you will be the brunt of a few jokes.

They know you want it and are watching the phone waiting on your call.
And if they have your number a good salesperson would call you today.

They will have a sales meeting this morning and your "deal" will come up more than likely. "Get that guy in here" is what the salesperson is going to be told.

Dealers are on profit sharing system with their parent company/bank/individual. If they don't hit their number, units not profit, for the month, the managers of the dealership do not get their bonuses or a lesser one.

You are hunting at the absolute best time. It is the end of the month and quickly approaching year end.

Wash the ether off. Calm down. Get the fact that you are the driver of this bus in your head and exercise a calculated business approach with them and let us know.

"I will do an even swap, nothing out of pocket, today" Hussssshhhh and wait.

I would be happy, as others would too I am sure, to walk you along during the game. Just post back.
      12-26-2009, 10:36 PM   #55
freshwhite335
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
i didnt sleep. but for a different reason. got all four of my wisdom teeth pulled and at 4 hours on the dot when the oxy wore off id wake up in pounding pain. soon as i took another pill i was fine.

Drove to Orlando today, it was the closest dealership with an SLK55 for me to drive. On my way there, just as you predicted gonzo, the Atlanta dealer called me to see if "i had any questions." I told him I had no questions and that I was actually on my way to look at another SLK. I told him that $2500 was my limit and that he should call me when he can do it. He started lecturing me on the reason their car is the price it is blah blah blah. I let him preach and told him I hear his points but that I was not willing to spend more than I wanted. Defeated, he told me he appreciated my interest and I told him to keep in touch. We'll see if I hear from him.

Monday I will call the dealer in IN with my newly learned strategies. A buddy and I thought it might be fun to take a roadtrip up to Indy to trade my car and come home in the new one, so if I get that deal I'll just do that. However, that same buddy's brother might be interested in my car and I've had a little bit of interest off the forum to sell it privately so we'll see. I might end up having to fly up there to get the SLK.

Last edited by freshwhite335; 12-26-2009 at 11:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2009, 06:39 AM   #56
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

This old dog may know what he is talking about eh?

Don't call the guy. If they don't call w/i the next week, move on. That is too high.

Unless you are heading out west in the next few weeks just be patient and you will find your car. Everything happens for a reason they say.

Unloading yours will be OK but you will lose the trade in tax credit too. It could be an even, or better, numbers game here. Get more than they would give. Then you pay the sales tax on the Benz. Here in TX anyways.

I had three wisdom teeth removed and got two dry sockets. Do what they tell re: treating the sockets. Most brutal pain. Right up there with my broken ribs. This was way before Oxcy. I think they gave me some Tylenol #3.
      12-27-2009, 07:33 AM   #57
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Idea;

If there is a Carmax near you go there. Don't mention a trade yet. Ask if they have one and if not can they show you all the SLK55' Carmax has. They are huge and have tons of resources for putting deals together. Zero in on one or two that you like.

They are the only ones that would/could get me out of my old 350Z after no luck elsewhere.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Here is an example ad from them. They mark up reasonably but still will try and get you. Find a car and negotiate down. Then bring in the trade and let them go out and appraise it.

You have their price for both now. Let skippy do the numbers and take the sheet with you and tell us. Unless, which could happen, they do you a great deal right then. And for Pete's sake do not tell them you have 2500 to help out with.

They will get a car back to their store w/i a few days. Again, tons of resources. I would be more comfortable doing this route than all that driving to God knows what kind of people.

Bottom line. I would DO THIS next. I personally trust Carmax. And from my quick scan of their inventory, they have several cars. They have a board of directors and share holders. Lucky Bob's car lot does not.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #58
freshwhite335
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
The only SLK55 from CarMax I like is $33147 plus an $849 transfer fee. It also has 48k on it and the one in Indy has only 35k on it, plus its $2k cheaper and its negotiable.

I took my car to CarMax for an appraisal about a month ago and they gave me a pathetic offer.

I'm hoping I can get the car in Indy to work, I like the lower mileage. If not more cars come on the market every day, and I can take comfort in knowing I have 4 other cars at my house to drive to keep the miles off the 335 while I'm looking. I did drive it to Orlando yesterday which sucked mileage wise but whatever.

And as far as the teeth go, I have my 7 day check-up on Tuesday, so we'll see.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 07:29 AM   #59
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Sorry to hear Carmax was lousy. My visit was nearly 5 years ago.

Times have definitely changed.

Well, good luck and keep us posted.
      12-28-2009, 11:33 PM   #60
freshwhite335
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
So I spoke to the dealer in Indy today. Told him I wanted an even trade and he came back with an offer of $8895. Told him no thank you and thanks for his time. He called an hour later but I decided to let him sweat. Got another call a half hour later and let him sweat a little more. Called him back 2 hours after that and he said I had caught the attention of the sales manager and that he could do the deal for $6800. I told him a car much closer to me with only 5k more miles had offered me $5500 for the swap but thanks for trying. I offered $2000 for the swap after the second call and he called back with apologies that his manager had said no.

I spoke to my dad today and considering I didn't ask, or get, anything for Hannukah this year or last year and my 18th birthday is in 2 weeks I told him I was wondering if he would help me out with the difference on a car. He told me he would talk it over with my Mom and we would discuss it tomorrow [Tuesday] night. So I'll keep you guys posted. I think I might be able to get like $3-$4k out of him, so whatever I get from him I can use for the difference on the car. But we'll see...
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 12:33 AM   #61
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

dont get bullied by these dealers because you are desperate for the carß
      12-29-2009, 12:46 AM   #62
freshwhite335
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I was thinking of offering $3500 to the Atlanta dealer. My thinking is that there aren't very many SLK55's out there and my car is only going to keep losing value.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 01:44 AM   #63
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep

Wow, I wish I was in this sort of 'dilemma' when I was 17 years old. Damn, I was working and sweating just to keep gas in the junk heap I was driving back then.

Anyway, good luck and hope you find your deal.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 06:07 AM   #64
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

^ Right.

17. She was beige/brown top and gold vinyl bench. Hardship license.

70' Chevelle Maliboooooo.
      12-29-2009, 06:41 AM   #65
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Only do it if it's black. The SLK55 in any other color (except maybe grey/silver) is straight up a chicks car.

If you want a FUN car, look into the e46 m3. Worlds more fun than the SLK55, while still looking better IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 09:31 AM   #66
///AV_330i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwhite335 View Post
theres one in Orlando like 2 hours away from my house. I think I'm going to go this weekend and check it out. I really want a V8 and I really want a convert. And I think of all the cars out there the SLK is the best choice.
get an s4 convertible or something. or a clk55 amg. or you can probably get a used sl55 amg for a decent price. theres also: Caddy XLR, Jag XKR, Vette, 650, or (if u really want a headache) a used Maserati Spyder or Aston DB7. the slk is gross, im not a fan...
Appreciate 0