E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Soaked Interior? Help

10-31-2016, 10:29 AM   #1
R8TD-M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
E90 328Xi  [0.00]
E92 BMW M3  [10.00]
1997 Toyota 4Runner  [0.00]
Soaked Interior? Help

My wifes 07 328xi inteior is friggin soaked. Pulled the interiror apart today (seats out carpet up) and shop vac'd 1.5 gallons of water out of the damn thing. I know what youre thinking - typical woman left the sunroof open in a rain storm. Not the case, shes surprisngly good with cars.

We first noticed water intrusion approximately 1 month ago. Rear seat drivers side foot well was soaked. We thought maybe a fluke? Happened again, after another rain storm. The car had very agrresive offset wheels on it, so i pulled them off thinking the front tires were pushing too much water into the door sill area, intruding into the interior. Stock wheels back on, no luck, same problem the next time it rained.

Today, i cleaned out the under hood drainage (lots of leaves in there), ran an electrical fish down through it, and used the shop vac in blow (as opposed to suck) to push air through it. Did the same with the sunroof drain lines (driver and pass side, on the front side of the sunroof casette. Not sure if there are more drain lines in the rear. Couldnt get very far down into these, but ran the fish into it as well as pipe cleaners and shop vac blow out.

Im worried something else is wrong. Every e90 water intrusion search i do points to "front passenger footwell" as the wet place. Thats bone dry in this car.

When i say this car is soaked, its really f'ing soaked. I squegeed out a ton of water from the entire drivers side from the gas / brake pedal all the way back to the rear seats.

Based on tracing back wet and dry areas, it SEEMS like the water starts at the driver footwell near the left side, dead pedal- then puddles up and runs back to the rear of the car.

Reaching out here in hopes that someone has some experience with this? something similar?

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 11:15 AM   #2
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Not sure on in your particular case, but I when I was trying to buy my car, I looked at an E90 330i and it had bad sunroof seals/broken sunroof or whatever and there was only a puddle in the rear seat driver's side footwell. So I'd give those a closer look.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 11:18 AM   #3
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

You might want to check the condition of the windshield lower cowl seal. If this seal is not pulled tight against the windshield, water running off the windshield can run right into the fan area on the passenger side. This is why the passenger footwell is often brought up.

However you seal could be loose on the drivers side. If the seal is not tight up against the windshield, one of the multiple pieces of trim under the cowl that holds it down may be damaged, loose or missing.
      10-31-2016, 01:57 PM   #4
AtlasM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335xi 6MT

Garage List
Have you checked the sunroof drain tubes?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 02:32 PM   #5
R8TD-M
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
E90 328Xi  [0.00]
E92 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasM View Post
Have you checked the sunroof drain tubes?
i did, but im not convinced I fully cleaned them out. Could only get a pipe cleaner about 3 to 4 inches in, and a fish tape (electrical tool for wire fishing / reaming thru walls) about the same distance
Any tips on flushing these thigns out?

If anyone knows of a cut-away like drawing that shows the routing of these that may be immenssly helpful.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 09:03 AM   #6
AtlasM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335xi 6MT

Garage List
I've seen some folks mention blowing the drains out with compressed air. I haven't actually attempted it myself, I just know that often the sunroof drains can be the cause of water getting in the car like this.

Best I could find for a diagram is this listing of the sunroof trim but it just shows where the drains (part #19) meet the frame, not where the tubes are routed through the car.

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 07:59 AM   #7
R8TD-M
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
E90 328Xi  [0.00]
E92 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasM View Post
I've seen some folks mention blowing the drains out with compressed air. I haven't actually attempted it myself, I just know that often the sunroof drains can be the cause of water getting in the car like this.

Best I could find for a diagram is this listing of the sunroof trim but it just shows where the drains (part #19) meet the frame, not where the tubes are routed through the car.

Cool man thanks for the help. I blew the drains out with a real compressor (as opposed to my shop vac with a vaccum line hose fitted to it) Its nearly impossible to tell if this worked, it takes a LOT of water under the carpets for the intrusion to be noticed. The carpets in these are much thicker than i thought, have about 1" of foam padding underneath a 1/4" or so of what we would consider carpet.
Car is going into my local dealer tomorrow for a 1HR diag- we'll see where this ends up.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 04:42 PM   #8
Dabrwright
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E92 335i V. Red/SB

Garage List
Check the sunroof drainage by pouring some water down the drain holes. It sounds like you have blocked tubes! Painful! LOL
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 04:57 PM   #9
Bamaben
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 335i blk/blk/alum 6MT

If not blocked tubes maybe disconnected tubes from sunroof and water not running inside the tubes

It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at him-- Jack Handey

mods: blackout grill, finishing rods, badges, Blacklines.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 08:40 PM   #10
Hacksaw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
This is usually going to be the result of a wonderful "feature" that the design of the doors holds for all of us. Do a google search for "door water shield" "door water guard" or "vapor barrier"

The factory used a butyl sealant and let's just say it under-performs.

Here is a DIY to get the door panel off:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30305

Here is a link to help show what is going on.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=456600

Best fix is to get yourself a big tube of 3m silicone weather sealer and going on top and next to the butyl sealer. Once you run around the entire area required... put the weather shield back on, be sure to press it so it gets completely sealed and stays in place. Wait a good hour or more.. assemble. When you close the door, be sure that there is a window open so it can vent the air and odors. Let it sit for 24 hrs and call it a done repair.

I have had to do this so far on my drivers door of a 2011 335i and will be doing the other 3 doors.

Its more common than people realize. Especially if you have things in good condition on the windshield area and your drains elsewhere are clear.

'02 BMW ///M3Imola Red|Blk Cloth|6M|TFS CSL TUNE - MSS54HP|CSL Rep Airbox|Euro Headers|StopTech ST-40 BBKs|Kirk 4pt Bar|CF CSL Trunk|GC Race F/R Sways|
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2016, 04:22 PM   #11
klipse
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 335i

This is just awful. I have a convertible so it's been something I've been worried about. Luckily I love in the desert with a garage.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 12:16 PM   #12
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i, 08 BMW 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
I have had to do this so far on my drivers door of a 2011 335i and will be doing the other 3 doors.

Its more common than people realize. Especially if you have things in good condition on the windshield area and your drains elsewhere are clear.
+1. Depending on the condition of the butyl rubber sometimes you can simply press it back into place and reseal it. A lot of times if a shop works on something inside the door they just don't bother to make sure it's completely sealed up again and leave holes in it. The vapor barrier might be torn also...sometimes if the tear isn't too big you can take some excess rubber and seal up the tear.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 09:38 PM   #13
Fb2017
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bicycle

hey guys, I have a similar issue but with water soaking the headliner around the sunroof. The left drain for me appears to be blocked. problem is I can't seem to find the actual drains. Any chance someone can post a picture of them? I have a 2011 E90. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 09:46 PM   #14
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Vapor barrier in the door. Fix it asap, lots of expensive electronics in the area.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 06:45 PM   #15
delusionalbillz
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i 2011 / Bmw 325ci 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8TD-M View Post
My wifes 07 328xi inteior is friggin soaked. Pulled the interiror apart today (seats out carpet up) and shop vac'd 1.5 gallons of water out of the damn thing. I know what youre thinking - typical woman left the sunroof open in a rain storm. Not the case, shes surprisngly good with cars.

We first noticed water intrusion approximately 1 month ago. Rear seat drivers side foot well was soaked. We thought maybe a fluke? Happened again, after another rain storm. The car had very agrresive offset wheels on it, so i pulled them off thinking the front tires were pushing too much water into the door sill area, intruding into the interior. Stock wheels back on, no luck, same problem the next time it rained.

Today, i cleaned out the under hood drainage (lots of leaves in there), ran an electrical fish down through it, and used the shop vac in blow (as opposed to suck) to push air through it. Did the same with the sunroof drain lines (driver and pass side, on the front side of the sunroof casette. Not sure if there are more drain lines in the rear. Couldnt get very far down into these, but ran the fish into it as well as pipe cleaners and shop vac blow out.

Im worried something else is wrong. Every e90 water intrusion search i do points to "front passenger footwell" as the wet place. Thats bone dry in this car.

When i say this car is soaked, its really f'ing soaked. I squegeed out a ton of water from the entire drivers side from the gas / brake pedal all the way back to the rear seats.

Based on tracing back wet and dry areas, it SEEMS like the water starts at the driver footwell near the left side, dead pedal- then puddles up and runs back to the rear of the car.

Reaching out here in hopes that someone has some experience with this? something similar?

Hey man I’m having this same exact issue I know this is years after but what ended up happening with her ? I’m afraid I’ll have long term damage.. (2011 bmw 335i)
Appreciate 0