E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast > Official Louisiana chat thread (#2)

10-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #705
Projekt_BooGie
Average Car Exceeding Expectations (ACEE)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92

Garage List
2007 e92  [7.00]
if you notice any time your rotors get wet and then dry you will see a light layer of rust on them. Next time you wash your car, you'll see it. B/c once you wash it, it normally sits for a minute, the oxygen hits the rotors and starts the process.

too much to list...just know its wide and bagged
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #706
GRIP
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
How does where I keep my car connect with brake dust build up? If the car is not moving how does anything build up?
not brake dust...rust on the rotors.
      10-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #707
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIP View Post
not brake dust...rust on the rotors.
Thats what I meant.. good catch.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #708
GRIP
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thats what I meant.. good catch.
well I don't get what your question is then if you meant rust. Rust doesn't happen while the car is in use, and the brakes are being used. The surface rust happens when the car is sitting and the metal has time to react with moisture, and air. So when the car sit's up outside, that's exactly when rust will accumulate on the rotors, or anywhere else for that matter.
      10-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #709
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
well I don't get what your question is then if you meant rust. Rust doesn't happen while the car is in use, and the brakes are being used. The surface rust happens when the car is sitting and the metal has time to react with moisture, and air. So when the car sit's up outside, that's exactly when rust will accumulate on the rotors, or anywhere else for that matter.
So then if I wash it, it should come right off, because its not coming off no matter how hard I scrub.....

I think Doc is having the same issue as me.. It looks like rust.. I could be brake dust but it looks like rust to me. It'll snap a pic to confirm later.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #710
GRIP
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So then if I wash it, it should come right off, because its not coming off no matter how hard I scrub.....

I think Doc is having the same issue as me.. It looks like rust.. I could be brake dust but it looks like rust to me. It'll snap a pic to confirm later.
lol wow........no, when you wash it, the moisture and then sitting up after the wash is what causes it. Rust is a lot harder to get off than dirt because it isn't something that is just laying on top of metal. It is the residue from a chemical reaction WITH the metal, so it's actually part of the rotor at that point. The easiest way to get it off is to use your brakes. The friction with the pads will wear the rust off. Like I said earlier, I've never had a problem with rust build up because all my cars are garaged, and even when they do spend a night outside at work, I USE my brakes when I drive so whatever surface rust might be there (which isn't much) is gone within a few minutes.
      10-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #711
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
lol wow........no, when you wash it, the moisture and then sitting up after the wash is what causes it. Rust is a lot harder to get off than dirt because it isn't something that is just laying on top of metal. It is the residue from a chemical reaction WITH the metal, so it's actually part of the rotor at that point. The easiest way to get it off is to use your brakes. The friction with the pads will wear the rust off. Like I said earlier, I've never had a problem with rust build up because all my cars are garaged, and even when they do spend a night outside at work, I USE my brakes when I drive so whatever surface rust might be there (which isn't much) is gone within a few minutes.
Ahhh I see... and I use my paddle shifters to slow down a lot.. Ok I will use heavier brakes more often and see it that helps any. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #712
Mkah
Motorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:

It's rust, you are just wasting your time by cleaning them. It's going to come back no matter how many times you clean it.

I'm surprised that people are confused about metal rusting, no offense.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #713
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M 95 View Post
It's rust, you are just wasting your time by cleaning them. It's going to come back no matter how many times you clean it.
It looks like shit though...
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 02:53 PM   #714
GRIP
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It looks like shit though...
drive harder then
      10-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #715
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
drive harder then
lol yall know me!!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #716
GRIP
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
lol yall know me!!
I don't actually..... lol
      10-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #717
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I don't actually..... lol
Well everyone else can vouch....... Whenever we have a group drive I always say "Dont lose me"
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 12:30 AM   #718
Yodaime
Just a normal member.
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: Banh Xeo

Quote:
Well everyone else can vouch....... Whenever we have a group drive I always say "Dont lose me"
Sara , when he meant DRIVE the car and USE the brakes. it's basicly like when you ride with me. shit like doing 120-130 downshifting the crap outa the car and brakes but tape on brakes. things like that but you can do that around 60-70 and your brakes will get a good heating. on a casual drive you know i use manual mode? I dont just drive on Automatic mode all the time. I drive what they call enthusiastically.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 05:55 AM   #719
shaq diesel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 Alpine White E90 M3

Simplest way to get rid of brake rotor rust (if it truly bothers you) is to do a few hard 60-0 braking tests in a safe area. Rust has to be grinded off. It's cheapest to let your brake pads do it.

If you really want to be anal, you can use compressed air to blow off water droplets off the rotors after you wash your car to slow done rust generation. Personally I'd rather just do a few hard braking runs (but then again the rust doesn't bother my but I do like to test out the ABS system every once in a while ).
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #720
Yodaime
Just a normal member.
Vietnam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaq diesel View Post
Simplest way to get rid of brake rotor rust (if it truly bothers you) is to do a few hard 60-0 braking tests in a safe area. Rust has to be grinded off. It's cheapest to let your brake pads do it.

If you really want to be anal, you can use compressed air to blow off water droplets off the rotors after you wash your car to slow done rust generation. Personally I'd rather just do a few hard braking runs (but then again the rust doesn't bother my but I do like to test out the ABS system every once in a while ).
100-0 will lit them bitches up HAHAHAHA My rotor once turned red on me on the hwy braking from a race. I had a friend took a photo but still waiting for it
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #721
shaq diesel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 Alpine White E90 M3

LOL That'll work too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaime View Post
100-0 will lit them bitches up HAHAHAHA My rotor once turned red on me on the hwy braking from a race. I had a friend took a photo but still waiting for it
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #722
Mkah
Motorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaime
Quote:

$100 says you can't do it again. I have to see it for you to get the money and you only get two chances
      10-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #723
GRIP
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

the only thing that will work is braking or parking indoors. Even blowing the water off with air won't help because humidity will still cause the issue if the car is parked outside...but as you said, re-bedding the brakes will clean the rotors easily.
      10-20-2012, 04:07 PM   #724
GRIP
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaime View Post
Sara , when he meant DRIVE the car and USE the brakes. it's basicly like when you ride with me. shit like doing 120-130 downshifting the crap outa the car and brakes but tape on brakes. things like that but you can do that around 60-70 and your brakes will get a good heating. on a casual drive you know i use manual mode? I dont just drive on Automatic mode all the time. I drive what they call enthusiastically.
when I had my 335, I NEVER drove it in automatic. It felt too sluggish, and the shifts were too slow, and never into the right gear. I couldn't take it lol As soon as I got in it went straight to DS, manual, traction control completely off. lol It took a while to get used to the tail end sliding out so easily, and most of the time not hearing how much noise the car was actually making because the car was soooooooooo quiet. I could always feel it obviously, but the reactions to people outside the car were always funny. I was just waiting to get stopped so I could tell the cop, "No sir I wasn't drifting through that intersection. That was a powerslide."
      10-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #725
Yodaime
Just a normal member.
Vietnam
Rep

Quote:
when I had my 335, I NEVER drove it in automatic. It felt too sluggish, and the shifts were too slow, and never into the right gear. I couldn't take it lol As soon as I got in it went straight to DS, manual, traction control completely off. lol It took a while to get used to the tail end sliding out so easily, and most of the time not hearing how much noise the car was actually making because the car was soooooooooo quiet. I could always feel it obviously, but the reactions to people outside the car were always funny. I was just waiting to get stopped so I could tell the cop, "No sir I wasn't drifting through that intersection. That was a powerslide."
hard to believe but the only time i cruise and let Automatic drive get me around is when I just washed the car. other than that nah, I drive moderately fast on a normal basics
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 09:14 AM   #726
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

So how the heck does this happen... No curb rash anywhere.. Yet my wheel has a crack.

My only guess is , I didnt hit anything..something hit me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0