E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY Powered seat retrofit (WIP)

08-20-2014, 06:09 AM   #265
Ph0zenstone
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e X-Drive

Both seas in my case needed separate wiring and kcan for both to continuously retain movement. Without kcan it just moves for a minute and stops
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 11:06 AM   #266
instigat0r
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi coupe

I double checked my wiring and found that my connections were loose and nwere making contact. After I fixed my connections, both seats work perfectly!!!

I would like to suggest that instead of using 12 guage solid wire, use 12 guage braided wire. Its much, much easier to use than solid wire and is just as good/safe.

Also, those wire tap connections were garbage! When I redid my wiring, I inspected the wire taps and found on 3 different occasions that they missed the wires. I spliced into my power and ground wires and bridged them over to the correct pins (4 and 9) by soldering. Heck, you could event do wire nuts and still be fine and better off than using those wire taps.

And both of my seats (driver and PASSENGER) required the Kcan wires to be connected for theM to work.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 05:16 PM   #267
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 325i SE

Fantastic thread - thanks to all those that have contributed.

I have read the full thread and also had a bloody good google, and I think I have worked out how to get the lumbar and side bolsters working, but I am still not sure whether the M-Sport seats I have fitted to replace my SE leather (UK car) are heated or not!

Can anyone tell by looking at these photos whether these seats are heated please? I have a large module under each seat.

Drivers side first.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 06:08 PM   #268
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep

Any one?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 04:11 PM   #269
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep

Well, I still have no idea whether my new seats are heated or not, but most importantly I managed to get my lumbar and bolsters working.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 04:27 PM   #270
Ph0zenstone
Major General
Rep

I just wanna add that once all wired up, I just swapped my existing dash buttons with ones that had heated seats and they work without any sort of coding. So I went from leatherette no heat, non sport and no power to full power, heat and electric M3 black novillo leather
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 06:01 AM   #271
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep

I never got to the bottom of whther my MSport seats were heated or not, though I suspect they are not - shame as I'd love heated seats in this weather!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 02:42 PM   #272
Najt
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 325D 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeye View Post
Any one?
you have to check the module, what is connected... or check the oem number if the seats are heated

as far i check the connection scheme...the pin 4 is for heating. so if you have cables from pin 4 on your seat... I hope they are heated. I also belive if you have the big module uder seat, then you have heated seats.

was your previous seats heated? if yes, then it should work after CAN connection. If not, maybe you have to code your car

Last edited by Najt; 01-13-2015 at 02:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 11:48 AM   #273
r200teg
Rep
Drives: F20 125i

I have the same problem, i had non-sport manual, heated seats. I retrofittted m sport, electrical heated seats with memory. Both seats have a seat-module and both needed the canbus connections on pin 2 and 3. Seat adjusting, memory and bolsters are working perfectly, but the heating does not work. I'm going to search someone to code the car so i can get my heated seats working, as my girlfriend will kill me
It's a EURO car by the way.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 10:30 AM   #274
Najt
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 325D 2008

I had heated seats from factory...and acording my VIN equipment..you have to add $494 code to your VA list. and code the car. its easy
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 09:09 AM   #275
r200teg
Rep

thanks for the reply, i'm afraid I just don't have heated seats, both seats have the large seat module, but i'm missing 2 connections on both:

the circled connections are the ones for seat heating
allthough, the seller claimed the seats were heated, it was a breaker who said he even has the "control panel" with the two heating buttons coming out of the same car. I just can't believe it...

can someone with heated seats check if he also misses those 2 connections ? But I'm afraid all heated seats will have them.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 07:24 PM   #276
mychal
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

hi all, i read this a couple of times & still confused as i am not a technical person.. I will be getting a wire man to do for me but i will need to explain to him how..

My ride is an E92 LCI model which comes with standard electric seat with out heat.

I had changed to a E92 M3 electric seats but my Lumbar & side bolster not working for both seats.

I read that i should connect :
PIN8(gnd) to PIN13
PIN4(extra 12v) to PIN7

i wanna know on which harness should we change? The seat harness? And when we say move from 8 > 13 & 4 > 7, do we literally move the wire over or we need to connect another wire from pin 8 and link to 13 ? same for 4 to 7.
And all i need to do is to connect the wires as above & is there anything else i need to do ??? FUSE ???

another issue i have is that the M3 driver seats don't seem to have seat occupation wire on pins 10 & 11 so in this case my seat belt extender does not push out the seat belt at all.
How can i retrofit this into driver seat??

PLease help. appreciate
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 08:17 AM   #277
r200teg
Rep

your best bet is to change the seat harness, so you can just switch your old seats in whenever you want to.

Just look at your existing seat harness to see on which pin the +12V is present ( pin 7, 9 or 4), it's a red cable (or brown red, black red,...)
on your new seat harness, place the pin (brown-red ? cable) on the same place as what you had on your old harness + solder/splice the other red cable(for the heating) on the same cable as you have just connected.
do the same for the brown cables. (match with the brown cables of course)
In fact, al you need to do is think logically and line-up/match the colors and places of your original seat harness.

don't forget to add the K_can wires (green and green-orange) on pin2 and 3, if your previous seats didn't already have memory.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 11:25 AM   #278
mychal
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r200teg View Post
your best bet is to change the seat harness, so you can just switch your old seats in whenever you want to.

Just look at your existing seat harness to see on which pin the +12V is present ( pin 7, 9 or 4), it's a red cable (or brown red, black red,...)
on your new seat harness, place the pin (brown-red ? cable) on the same place as what you had on your old harness + solder/splice the other red cable(for the heating) on the same cable as you have just connected.
In fact, al you need to do is think logically and line-up/match the colors and places of your original seat harness.

don't forget to add the K_can wires (green and green-orange) on pin2 and 3, if your previous seats didn't already have memory.
Great!!! I think I understand now.. appreciate.. but I don't need the heating as I don't have it anyway..

current seats have memory so nothing need to be done ya..

Thanks a lot..

next I need to know if m3 DRIVER seat comes with seat occupation sensor which will activate the seat belt extender to push out the seat belt? My passenger seat is working but not the driver seat..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 07:46 AM   #279
Kristian_TT
Rep
Drives: X5, Panamera, GT3 Touring

Has anyone upgraded from the base seat with partial electric movement (recline and up/down, no memory) and heating to fully electrical sport seats with memory and heating?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 08:09 PM   #280
mychal
Registered
Rep

Quote:

Just to share that i had managed to sort out my seats..

As my original seats are full electric seats with memory, replacing the M3 seats(full electric seats with memory + bolster/Lumbar support) are pretty easy.

Got a wireman to help me connect(Solder from existing Pin 4 wire) PIN 4 > PIN 7 & do the same for PIN 8 > PIN 13.

Once this is done everything is working.. Am happy with the seats now !!!

thanks all for helping..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 08:48 PM   #281
Ph0zenstone
Major General
Rep

If anyone needs the pins for retrofitting I have 10 pieces of 61131383776 and 10 pieces of 61138364844. More than enough to do a full retrofit of both front seats the "oem" way through the harness. $20 takes all. PM me
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 03:09 AM   #282
mychal
Registered
Rep

Hi all, can someone please help to confirm if E92 M3 DRIVER seat comes with seat occupation sensor which will activate the seat belt extender to push out the seat belt?

My passenger seat is working but not the driver seat..

according to a coding guy, he told me all the M3 he coded has seat occupation sensor which will push out the seat belt..

So for this reason my airbag is activated & i have to turn it disable it now..

Looking at the seat socket diagram provided here, i saw that passenger seat pin # 10 & 11 shows that it has seat occupation but for driver seat seem to be empty..

Can someone tell me what should i do ? thanks alot..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 09:16 AM   #283
rufsen
Registered
Rep
Drives: Manta

Quote:
thanks for the reply, i'm afraid I just don't have heated seats, both seats have the large seat module, but i'm missing 2 connections on both:

the circled connections are the ones for seat heating
allthough, the seller claimed the seats were heated, it was a breaker who said he even has the "control panel" with the two heating buttons coming out of the same car. I just can't believe it...

can someone with heated seats check if he also misses those 2 connections ? But I'm afraid all heated seats will have them.
Can anyone confirm that these are the connectors for the heating on the drivers seat? What about the passenger seat?

Which wires are ground and +12 on these outlets (seats are from an Z4 E89 2010)? I'm retrofitting these in an older car without canbus, therefore the question. My plan is to "hot-wire" the seat heating with an aftermarket external switch/relay. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 10:25 AM   #284
b-man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328xi

I had nonsport seats with heat and lumbar. I just installed sport seats with heat and lumbar.

My old seats used pin 7 for lumbar, but the new seats use pin 9 for lumbar and side bolsters. So pin 7 has power but is not being used, pin 9 is being used but has no power.

Can I just modify my car's harness and move the cable from pin 7 to pin 9? Pin 7 is thin and pin 9 is wide, so I want to make sure it won't cause any problems.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 04:29 PM   #285
007_e350
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 2008 MHD'd / x5d E70

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecka View Post
My seat belt tensioners were deployed during the previous car crash. I replaced them with the old ones.

When the root cause is resolve, you can remove the airbag error with INPA (coding)
one of my seats has the holder sunk in like this, does it mean airbag was deployed ? (I bought them from someone)
Mods: 7" VRSF FMIC, Forge DVs, RB PCV, BMS Oil Cooler, VRSF DPs, MHD, JB4g5, OFT DIYs: Walnut blasting : Trans Oil at 45k, w Filter at 65k : Diff Oil Flush @ 45k : WP&TS @ 69k : Alternator @ 79k --- E70d Alphabet Soup del 44.4k : JR Stg2.25 tune : Buzzken Catted Exhaust : Trans fluid drain/ fill (3 Qrts), both Diffs fluids flushed Wheels: Style 95s on PSSs (Sold): AG 359s on S04s : 162s on Blizzaks : Rohana RF1 Matt black
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 09:55 PM   #286
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007_e350
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecka View Post
My seat belt tensioners were deployed during the previous car crash. I replaced them with the old ones.

When the root cause is resolve, you can remove the airbag error with INPA (coding)
one of my seats has the holder sunk in like this, does it mean airbag was deployed ? (I bought them from someone)
The airbag pop on a side crash
Appreciate 0