E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > C&D(sedan): 328 vs G37 vs A4 vs TL

05-26-2009, 02:44 PM   #45
d3l0n
I love the ///M3, but I want 550hp ///M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW330iE90

Garage List
I like this and the comparison with the 128i simply because they are taking the minimum and comparing it with the others. It's an economy camparo. At the end of the day, as a driver, you'd be more satisfied in a BMW than the faster g37.. u wont complain much about gas and lack of necessities.

It does make me wonder if some journalists are biased and favor bmw... but it kind of makes sense. It's not just about performance.

sidenote: I didn't understand leatherette in the beginning. but then I began to like it.. the look, the feel.... even when I sat in my friends fully loaded m35x, the leather seats were soooo soooffft and nice, but easy to scratch and damage. BMW's leatherette is comfy, smells alright, pretty tough surface, and has a pretty cool look to it on all colors.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 03:00 PM   #46
Thud
Throbbing Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBI_agent View Post
For those who don't want to read the article:
1st: 328
2nd: G37
3rd: A4
4th: TL

Nice to see that the 328 won, even though they could have used a 335i and still have been in the same price category as the other cars. I guess they wanted to give the other 3 cars a fighting chance?
2008 BMW 135i / 6MT
2002 Z06 Corvette
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 03:37 PM   #47
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

SORRY: RANT mode ON! Look away if you can't stand reading more than 2-3 sentence postings.

If you're a power-head, then of course it's nothing but the G37 or 335i.
However, if you actually enjoy a well balanced controlled ride, and you want something that gives you all the handling joy that is the 3 series, then you pick the 328i.

This comparo is way out there, like much of C&D's are, but not so much about the cars they pick. They pick cars that do compete well against each other, when optioned similarly. The problem is that instead of pointing out the MOST OBVIOUS pricing differences between the models, C&D rates the cars based on what came on them, even though they know better.

The A4 in this comparo was an automatic 2.0T quattro with all the luxury crap loaded on it. For comparo sake, it didn't even have a manual or sport pkg.
Yet, it came to $47k! Well, option the 328i with every option known to edmunds.com, such as X drive, sportronic with paddle shifters, M sport, prem, ipod, etc....
The price is a STAGGERING $54,845!

This was not even close to being an "economy" comparo, witness the A4's pricing and options. It was not a equal chassis comparo, witness a mix of sport to non sport, auto, to manual trans variation.
The only thing this comparo can say, is that IF, IF, IF you were to option these cars with as close to equal options as possible, they will fall within a narrow cost difference.
The problem?
These cars didn't fit close to each at all, because Audi and BMW can be optioned crazily, whereas the Acura and Infiniti give you a lot of the extra's included in their prices.

The Audi shouldn't have been criticized for it's high price, because it was optioned as a total showing of what Audi can offer in electronic GEE-WHIZ. BMW sent the cheapest setup they could find, however, with the BEST chassis setup they offer, and that is the sport pkg. 328i with manual trans.
As much as Audi was criticized for having a high price, the BMW was almost nearly as criticized for having the least.
The TL has actually moved into a larger size class as far as I'm concerned, and I don't think Acura cares anymore about being a drivers sport-sedan.

Where was the IS250 BTW?

This review is written poorly, and very misleadingly. Anyone who has a clue about these cars and their prices compared to their performance know the inherent problems with C&D's ranting and misleading comments.
If you're going to bash the A4 for having such a high price, then mention that MOST people do not option their cars like this. And, in terms of a "CAR" & "DRIVER", there should have been a manual A4 with the regular sport pkg. that includes much of what the 328i includes; ie suspension, wheels/tires, and sport seats.
Optioned equally to the 328i, including no cost red paint, the MSRP of the sport pkg. A4 quattro, 6spd manual is: $34,125.
It's a MUCH better performer in terms of handling and ride to the 328i sport.
I've owned both, driven the new ones, and have ordered a 135i manual.

The 328i is an excellent automobiles, I almost went with it again, except for that sweet 135i.
Still, in this comparo it probably should have lost to the 328i. For the cost to performance, the G37 gives you nearly the ride and handling of a 3 series, with much greater power, closer to the 335i. 1/2 second is still a LOT when comparing a lower powered manual to a higher powered auto trans. With the manual, the G37 would have spanked the 328i even more.

It's simply disingenuous of C&D in this comparo to have done and said what they did.
Yes, I understand that C&D "ask" for the manufacturers to send them a car, but honestly, other mags can managed to put very similar cars together so that the actual "car" & "driver" as as close as possible. C&D could simply say, "Give us a must have manual trans, with the sportiest suspension you have with any options you want to send, but the cost of the options can't exceed 15% of the base cost of the car."

Then, compare the performance of the cars, you know, the things we "drivers" of "cars" would most care about. Address the options as a separate issue, and do NOT, do NOT, DO NOT, include those options or your opinion of those options in anything that then rates the cars and how they finish in the line up. If you then need to do a "who won for most/best options, not exceeding 15%....", then do that too.
But, don't be misleading and insult the readers.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 04:04 PM   #48
BMWFanatic2008
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

Beating a dead horse. I thought that we had a thread about this article already.

Basically it comes down to this:

1. All 328 drivers on this forum will take 328 over g37. I wonder why? Prob because they have 328...
2. 90% of 335 drivers will take g37 over 328.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 04:34 PM   #49
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFanatic2008 View Post
Beating a dead horse. I thought that we had a thread about this article already.
Show me the link to your repost claim and I'll delete this thread.

Last edited by OBI_agent; 05-26-2009 at 04:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 04:36 PM   #50
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Guys, it's not about the power and handling or whatever. In g37 sedan form, your just getting alot of car for that kind of money. That's all I wanted to share.
I respect 328 but G37 is better in most aspects.
      05-26-2009, 05:05 PM   #51
BMWFanatic2008
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257888
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 07:50 PM   #52
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

In that thread, there's no link provided to read this article because at that time ,it wasn't released on their website.

Anyway, thanks for your concern....
      05-26-2009, 09:00 PM   #53
tna3
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i SP MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Still, in this comparo it probably should have lost to the 328i. For the cost to performance, the G37 gives you nearly the ride and handling of a 3 series, with much greater power, closer to the 335i. 1/2 second is still a LOT when comparing a lower powered manual to a higher powered auto trans. With the manual, the G37 would have spanked the 328i even more.
Ummm.... the G37 in the test WAS a manual.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 10:39 PM   #54
CleanLemans
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue 328i Sedan M

Within the last year I sold my G35 coupe, I test drove all these cars besides the Acura (why? ehh also owned hondas, they're cool lol) but the G37 is a great car but it doesn't feel tight, its a wide fast sedan with no suspension, its an awesome car as I owned two(m35 also) but none of them felt like the bmw.

The audi is a joke, test drove it two days ago, I felt from the "performance" of the car that I was in a honda (2.0t and 3.2 were bad) and the interior was no better then a loaded camry. Just really really really nice headlights
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 10:55 PM   #55
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tna3 View Post
Ummm.... the G37 in the test WAS a manual.
OOOPS.

Sorry, my bad. Wow.

UH, don't look behind the curtain.

.5 sec is still a lot. And, it did spank the 328i. Granted, not 330 vs 230 "lot". To 100mph and the 1/4?
Were they close in time and terminal speed?
But, we're also dealing with the lightest 3 series BMW offers in the US; no power seats, no heaters, no nothing. Granted, not big weight, but weight non the less.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 11:23 PM   #56
iheartsole
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe

i like athe e90 & the audi looks good as well
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 01:12 AM   #57
jgrgnt
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 435i, P3D+

Quote:
Originally Posted by tna3 View Post
Actually the BMW is down 98 hp vs. the G37, not 76 if you go by brochure published numbers. Long live the BMW underrating and drivetrain efficiency.
My bad, for some reason I had the 306 hp G35 motor in mind, not the new 3.7 liter. So yes, even more impressive that the 3er was only half a second slower being down almost 100 hp.

The M5 is in the shop, so I have a 328 loaner. Cruising down the freeway in sixth, I was getting 34 mpg. Very impressive. The automatic has nice low gearing, so it's pretty swift off the line. There's some wicked DBW throttle delay, though, which I've noticed in every automatic-equipped E9x I've ever driven. Wonder why that is...

Formerly: E46 325i, E90 335i, E39 M5, F36 435i
2018 Model 3 Performance, MPP Sports, UP sways, RB pads
2017 Model X 90D, stock
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 01:15 AM   #58
NaTuReB0Y