E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > For those BMW owners who are economic savvy...I need your help!

05-29-2011, 08:05 PM   #1
sA x sKy
Sameet
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: AY/B M4 '15

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
For those BMW owners who are economic savvy...I need your help!

So I have a microeconomics final that's due on Thursday and since I'm in Montreal right now (won't be home till late tomorrow) I'm in a bind for time. The objective of the final is fairly easy, I just have to relate 15 economic terms (simple economics terms like subsidy, firm/industry, interest rate, etc) and give an example of how it relates to BMW in one or two sentences.

Please help a bimmer brother out! You guys will get major points from me!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sA x sKy View Post
So I have a microeconomics final that's due on Thursday and since I'm in Montreal right now (won't be home till late tomorrow) I'm in a bind for time. The objective of the final is fairly easy, I just have to relate 15 economic terms (simple economics terms like subsidy, firm/industry, interest rate, etc) and give an example of how it relates to BMW in one or two sentences.

Please help a bimmer brother out! You guys will get major points from me!
Marginal cost and benefit, opportunity cost (a bit too simple), elasticity of demand.

The marginal cost of a M3>335is>335>328 is far higher than the marginal benefit, yet people buy the higher model.

The opportunity cost of driving a BMW practically often means taking out a 36 mo. loan, when one could have simply bought a dependable car such as an Accord outright, with the downpayment alone.

The elasticity of demand on a BMW is such that BMW AG is able to pass on nearly all or most of the fluctuations in their production / delivery costs to American consumers. Look at a 335i which is $5k more today than in 2007, yet the car has 3 less CATS and one less turbo, which saves $$$$ for BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 08:37 PM   #3
sA x sKy
Sameet
Bangladesh
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Is
Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Marginal cost and benefit, opportunity cost (a bit too simple), elasticity of demand.

The marginal cost of a M3>335is>335>328 is far higher than the marginal benefit, yet people buy the higher model.

The opportunity cost of driving a BMW practically often means taking out a 36 mo. loan, when one could have simply bought a dependable car such as an Accord outright, with the downpayment alone.

The elasticity of demand on a BMW is such that BMW AG is able to pass on nearly all or most of the fluctuations in their production / delivery costs to American consumers. Look at a 335i which is $5k more today than in 2007, yet the car has 3 less CATS and one less turbo, which saves $$$$ for BMW.
This is perfect! It's an AP Microeconomics course so the simpler, the better. Thank you very much man, I appreciate it.

Just 12 more terms to go.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 09:32 PM   #4
BTTGMan
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335xi coupe - space gray

The droves of 328 purchasers out there subsidize 335 purchasers, as the economic and utilititarian value between the two cars vastly exceeds the marginal price difference. The 335 is kinda like a tiffany's diamond ring, used to lure in the masses who end up purchasing silver jewelry (the real profit maker, but not the brightest jewel...).

Edit: I acknowledge the m3 to be an even bigger diamond, of course
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 09:35 PM   #5
BTTGMan
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335xi coupe - space gray

Quote:
Is

This is perfect! It's an AP Microeconomics course so the simpler, the better. Thank you very much man, I appreciate it.

Just 12 more terms to go.
Marginal benefit is subjective. To me a BMW with less that 250 hp loses most of it's utility.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 03:18 AM   #6
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

REALLY? You want people to do homework for you? I understand you're trying to maximize productivity by asking others to do this for you, but why should anyone give up their opportunity cost of time to help you? Do you really lack production capacity to do your own final? Or are you just hedging in case you don't have enough time?

You realize there is a multiplier effect when doing your own homework right? The more you learn on your own, the more return on investment you will get out of school.

If we subsidize your paper, and you get an "A" in your final, will there be wealth transference? How many people would actually be willing to help you cheat? What are the supply and demand curves? Where's the pareto optimal point? I guess if even one person helps, that would be a windfall to you. But, at the end of the day, I guess this is a zero-sum game - both you and those helping you lose. We lose our time and you cheat yourself.

Good luck w/ your paper.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 06:31 AM   #7
sA x sKy
Sameet
Bangladesh
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Nce I'
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
REALLY? You want people to do homework for you? I understand you're trying to maximize productivity by asking others to do this for you, but why should anyone give up their opportunity cost of time to help you? Do you really lack production capacity to do your own final? Or are you just hedging in case you don't have enough time?

You realize there is a multiplier effect when doing your own homework right? The more you learn on your own, the more return on investment you will get out of school.

If we subsidize your paper, and you get an "A" in your final, will there be wealth transference? How many people would actually be willing to help you cheat? What are the supply and demand curves? Where's the pareto optimal point? I guess if even one person helps, that would be a windfall to you. But, at the end of the day, I guess this is a zero-sum game - both you and those helping you lose. We lose our time and you cheat yourself.

Good luck w/ your paper.
Since I'm about to hit no service on the road in a few minutes with this shitty BlackBerry, I'll explain my situation with brevity.

I'm a senior in high school. I've already been accepted to a 6 year pharmacy program at a great school (for PharmD at least). The rest of my class is also composed of seniors. I don't know if you've been in high school (but with using all those economics terms to point out my inferiority, I'm assuming you have) but surely you know of "senioritis"?

There's about 2 weeks of school left, and everyone already took the AP exam a month ago. Spring break was 2 weeks ago. In that 2 weeks, most if not all of the material I learned in all of my clases have been cleared from my memory. I really, genuinely, don't know anything. And I really, genuinely, will not be home, on my own computer, for another 7 hours.

So if you're going to (or anyone else for that matter) going to come into this thread and start bashing me because I lack any sort of integrity for asking help for a class that is pretty much meaningless to me in the "near" future, then just keep it to yourself.

I guess I misjudged the whole "brevity" statement. My bad for what looks like a wall of text on my phone. Anyways, back on topic. Thank you everyone that's posted information relevent to what I asked for. I just need a few more examples and I'll be set with compiling all of them in a sick powerpoint when I get home.

Thanks everyones.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 06:51 AM   #8
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Nce I'

Since I'm about to hit no service on the road in a few minutes with this shitty BlackBerry, I'll explain my situation with brevity.

I'm a senior in high school. I've already been accepted to a 6 year pharmacy program at a great school (for PharmD at least). The rest of my class is also composed of seniors. I don't know if you've been in high school (but with using all those economics terms to point out my inferiority, I'm assuming you have) but surely you know of "senioritis"?

There's about 2 weeks of school left, and everyone already took the AP exam a month ago. Spring break was 2 weeks ago. In that 2 weeks, most if not all of the material I learned in all of my clases have been cleared from my memory. I really, genuinely, don't know anything. And I really, genuinely, will not be home, on my own computer, for another 7 hours.

So if you're going to (or anyone else for that matter) going to come into this thread and start bashing me because I lack any sort of integrity for asking help for a class that is pretty much meaningless to me in the "near" future, then just keep it to yourself.

I guess I misjudged the whole "brevity" statement. My bad for what looks like a wall of text on my phone. Anyways, back on topic. Thank you everyone that's posted information relevent to what I asked for. I just need a few more examples and I'll be set with compiling all of them in a sick powerpoint when I get home.

Thanks everyones.
I certainly had senioritis, AP physics, calculus bc, chemistry, biology, not English as I recall not sure why. Top student, etc. The thing is when I got to college it was like I was in another world, suddenly I wasn't very smart at all, went from top 1% to like bottom 10%, quite humbling. The level of competition ratcheted up exponentially.

You might want to investigate cartels and collusion, you'll see how many erroneous posts there are about why gas is expensive etc. Also check out game theory and the Monty Hall paradox.

p.s. if I'm not mistaken, every pharmacy grad today is a pharm D and went to 6 years. The older ones did 5. Doctor is a funny word, I think the classic doctor is the MD. Now we throw the word around so loosely, an optometrist and podiatrist can use the word in their title, when in fact they never went to medical school except maybe on the college tour they went on before their applications were rejected. A lawyer might be called a JD at some schools, doctor of jurisprudence, while at another schoo like mine, the same education yields a llb, which is a bachelor of laws.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 08:10 AM   #9
silkshocker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Cheaters never win

PharmD=counting pills by 5 and working at the drive thru window at walgreens. Back to the topic. If u can't do ur own homework then how competent will u be as a pharmacist?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 08:40 AM   #10
sA x sKy
Sameet
Bangladesh
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by silkshocker View Post
PharmD=counting pills by 5 and working at the drive thru window at walgreens. Back to the topic. If u can't do ur own homework then how competent will u be as a pharmacist?
You know, there's 3 things wrong with your statements/accusations. First, if that's all pharmacists do, then how the hell does my father make well over >$300K a year? Second, do you have any reading comprehension at all? I clearly said in my last post that if you're going to attack my integrity that you can keep it to yourself.

Lastly, how is not doing my homework the original topic? Last time I checked I was asking for help, not questioning myself whtether or not I would be a good pharmacist.

Seriously, thanks a lot. Because this thread has obviously swayed off topic, it'll probably be closed. Whatever, thank you everyone else who has managed to put some insightful info into this thread.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 08:42 AM   #11
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkshocker View Post
It seems to also mean standing there doing nothing when a pharmacy tech is arguing with the customers and completely in error. You'd think someone with an education would step in, be a manager, and "guide" the tech with saying the correct things to the customer. Seems like there isn't any Hippocratic Oath with them.

I suppose my experience is such that I'm almost always on my wife's health plan, and since she's a job hopper (hopefully she'll settle in eventually as her new co. gave her a good position which actually requires much more experience than she has) it's like guessing what health plan we have this month. Once, no lie, I was on Caremark 3X, i.e. covered by 3 health plans. F coordination of benefits, give me the one with the $0 copay. May be nothing to the pharm tech, but I said why would I want to pay $8, when I'm on a valid plan with $0 copay? She couldn't understand, both English, and why $0 is better than $8.....
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 08:51 AM   #12
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
You know, there's 3 things wrong with your statements/accusations. First, if that's all pharmacists do, then how the hell does my father make well over >$300K a year? Second, do you have any reading comprehension at all? I clearly said in my last post that if you're going to attack my integrity that you can keep it to yourself.

Lastly, how is not doing my homework the original topic? Last time I checked I was asking for help, not questioning myself whtether or not I would be a good pharmacist.

Seriously, thanks a lot. Because this thread has obviously swayed off topic, it'll probably be closed. Whatever, thank you everyone else who has managed to put some insightful info into this thread.
Relax, you have to realize that people take shots all the time on this forum! First of all, in the big picture, 300k is a lot of money, but then again, it really isn't. In other words, you're not flying in your corporate jet or owning a 49' Sea Ray like my coworker at that income level. But you could probably own a medium-sized house and maybe buy a 5 series.

Secondly, in the general population, pharmacists are pretty smart--the avg. person is not going to be able to graduate that or engineering or any science curriculum for that matter. They'd probably become an eye or foot doctor sans MD. Or, they have to resort to practicing law or being an investment banker on Wall St.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 08:52 AM   #13
MJB1975
Rep
Drives: '08 318i E90

not an example of a zero-sum game

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
But, at the end of the day, I guess this is a zero-sum game - both you and those helping you lose. We lose our time and you cheat yourself.
I can agree on the losing time and cheating statement, but this isn't a zero-sum game. In a zero-sum game one mans profit is another mens loss (for instance call & put options on stock), in contrast to owning a stock where nobody has to phisically pay you you profits.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 08:53 AM   #14
sA x sKy
Sameet
Bangladesh
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
It seems to also mean standing there doing nothing when a pharmacy tech is arguing with the customers and completely in error. You'd think someone with an education would step in, be a manager, and "guide" the tech with saying the correct things to the customer. Seems like there isn't any Hippocratic Oath with them.

I suppose my experience is such that I'm almost always on my wife's health plan, and since she's a job hopper (hopefully she'll settle in eventually as her new co. gave her a good position which actually requires much more experience than she has) it's like guessing what health plan we have this month. Once, no lie, I was on Caremark 3X, i.e. covered by 3 health plans. F coordination of benefits, give me the one with the $0 copay. May be nothing to the pharm tech, but I said why would I want to pay $8, when I'm on a valid plan with $0 copay? She couldn't understand, both English, and why $0 is better than $8.....
That may be in corporate pharmcies like CVS, Walgreens, Rite-Aid, etc, where red tape runs rampant. But its a different world in independents where pharmacists actually give a damn. Yes, pharmacists techs are the ones who count, but by no means there is a situation where the tech is the one arguing with the patients healthcare plan.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 08:54 AM   #15
furtado_4real
Private
Rep
Drives: 3series

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTTGMan View Post
The droves of 328 purchasers out there subsidize 335 purchasers, as the economic and utilititarian value between the two cars vastly exceeds the marginal price difference. The 335 is kinda like a tiffany's diamond ring, used to lure in the masses who end up purchasing silver jewelry (the real profit maker, but not the brightest jewel...).

Edit: I acknowledge the m3 to be an even bigger diamond, of course
Your statement is incorrect. The M3 would be the tiffany's diamond ring, not the 335.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 08:59 AM   #16
sA x sKy
Sameet
Bangladesh
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Relax, you have to realize that people take shots all the time on this forum! First of all, in the big picture, 300k is a lot of money, but then again, it really isn't. In other words, you're not flying in your corporate jet or owning a 49' Sea Ray like my coworker at that income level. But you could probably own a medium-sized house and maybe buy a 5 series.

Secondly, in the general population, pharmacists are pretty smart--the avg. person is not going to be able to graduate that or engineering or any science curriculum for that matter. They'd probably become an eye or foot doctor sans MD. Or, they have to resort to practicing law or being an investment banker on Wall St.
If $300K without taxes isn't a lot, then I have no idea what is a lot. Honestly, I'd be happy with any job as long as I can afford an M3 straight out of college and put a decent roof above my head. Then again, I don't plan on living on Long Island after I graduate so I don't have to deal with the insane property taxes here.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 09:02 AM   #17
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

Revenue - total sales of BMW vehicles

Gross Margin - Profit from Revenue minus the cost of producing the sold BMW vehicles

Operating Margin - Gross Margin minus the cost of running BMW's offices (fix costs) and wages (variable costs)

EBIDTA [earnings before income, depreciation, taxes, and amortization] - Operating Margin minus depreciation, taxes, and amortization from the business.
      05-30-2011, 09:12 AM   #18
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
If $300K without taxes isn't a lot, then I have no idea what is a lot. Honestly, I'd be happy with any job as long as I can afford an M3 straight out of college and put a decent roof above my head. Then again, I don't plan on living on Long Island after I graduate so I don't have to deal with the insane property taxes here.
Why would your dad even tell you what his salary is? Most dads imho would cringe if any of their kids are using their salary number to justify some silly argument on the www. If he's like most men, take about 30% off that number and his height as well. LOL
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 09:23 AM   #19
sA x sKy
Sameet
Bangladesh
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Why would your dad even tell you what his salary is? Most dads imho would cringe if any of their kids are using their salary number to justify some silly argument on the www. If he's like most men, take about 30% off that number and his height as well. LOL
He never told me, but if you factor in the mortgage of the house, paying for my sisters law school, paying off 2 cars, other liabilties, and maybe having his accountant (who is a family friend) letting slip some facts, then calculating everything is pretty easy.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 09:34 AM   #20
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

You could have finished the assignment in the time you've spent extinguishing the flamers here. Just saying.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 10:00 AM   #21
sA x sKy
Sameet
Bangladesh
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
You could have finished the assignment in the time you've spent extinguishing the flamers here. Just saying.
I'm on the road right now, and my navi says another 6 hours and I'll be home. And let the flamers flame. It's amusing and a good time waster to read stuff they were probably jipped for when they were young.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 01:11 PM   #22
poopdeckpappy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 m3

Quote:
He never told me, but if you factor in the mortgage of the house, paying for my sisters law school, paying off 2 cars, other liabilties, and maybe having his accountant (who is a family friend) letting slip some facts, then calculating everything is pretty easy.
Want to help your dad? Tell him it's time for a new accountant! Good luck out there in the real world. By the way it's "liabilities".
Appreciate 0