E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > moving to windows 7

04-04-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
Tunna_uk
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Le Mans Blue

Garage List
moving to windows 7

Hello. Advice needed. !
I am about to change our computers over to windows 7 - I am trying to plan ahead, is there any computer savvy expert on here who can give me any tips on getting the daughters i tunes library to work again after the fresh install?

I have had a look at itunes and there is a backup option but I don't want to cock it up

Also do you think windows 7 would be OK on a laptop with this spec:

Acer
1.73GHz 0.99GB Ram
60GB Hard drive
Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

If you are using 64 bit Win-7, then I *think* you need a min of 2GB RAM?

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #3
buckethead
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 320d msport

if its from vista to 7 you don't need to do a clean install

insert the disc while using the admnistrator account and do a upgrade

all data/photos/music are kept

takes about 2 hours

had to do this as my wife's computer had became corrupt after a virus and itunes etc

where saved
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #4
Walesy
24 cans in a case, 24 hours in a day Hmmmmmm
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 MSport

I put win 7 32 bit on to a 1gb ram PC with a P4 processor (2Ghz I think) and it struggles.
      04-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
With only a gig of ram and only 60gb of hdd space I think it would be better to upgrade the whole machine.
      04-04-2011, 12:59 PM   #6
Tunna_uk
Captain
Rep

Garage List
its currently running on XP
Also if you do a "clean" install, do you loose all the drivers etc? I know Microsoft office will need reinstalling ........
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 01:00 PM   #7
Walesy
24 cans in a case, 24 hours in a day Hmmmmmm
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunna_uk View Post
its currently running on XP
Also if you do a "clean" install, do you loose all the drivers etc? I know Microsoft office will need reinstalling ........
Actually, when i upgraded mine to win 7 from XP it lost the driver for the network card...it took ages to find the driver.
      04-04-2011, 02:56 PM   #8
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunna_uk View Post
Hello. Advice needed. !
I am about to change our computers over to windows 7 - I am trying to plan ahead, is there any computer savvy expert on here who can give me any tips on getting the daughters i tunes library to work again after the fresh install?

I have had a look at itunes and there is a backup option but I don't want to cock it up

Also do you think windows 7 would be OK on a laptop with this spec:

Acer
1.73GHz 0.99GB Ram
60GB Hard drive
Thanks in advance.
Probably less applicable to the laptop, but on a desktop I would do the following before upgrading the OS:

1. If you don't already have one, allocate a totally separate drive for documents.

2. Transfer your 'my documents' folders, including itunes library to the new drive (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310147)

3. Ideally, you should also separate physical drives (or at least partitions) for the OS and any installed programs.

Once you are configured as above, an upgrade install should be easy. Since your docs are on a separate drive, they will not be affected. When you reinstall itunes onto windows 7 it should find the existing library automatically. The only problem you will have is that it will think you have a new PC, so you will need to authorise it to play any music purchased from itunes.

All programmes will need reinstalling, but windows 7 should find drivers itself. It is pretty clever that way.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 03:20 PM   #9
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350 Cpe

There is no upgrade path for XP to Windows 7 it will be a clean install I am afraid.

Download the upgrade advisor to see if you will have any issues with the laptop that you are planning on upgrading.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...pgrade-advisor

You will need a USB stick or usb harddrive to backup the data, here is a link that will guide you though the process.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...p-to-windows-7

As for drivers they will be different for Windows 7, if you go x64 then the x86 drivers will not work anyway so it will be new drivers. As for apps they can be re-installed just watch any speed camera or old printers that may not have a Windows 7 driver. It's not supported by some Vista drivers will work on Windows 7 but not all, only use these if windows 7 cannot find a driver.

itunes is a bit*h, make sure you export your library to an xml file and then copy the music off. You will need to de-authorize the computer as once it's rebuilt you cannot remove the computer (there is a way but it resets all computers that are authorized)

Use the Windows Easy transfer tool http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...-easy-transfer

There are other tools like the user state migration tool (link below) but it's not the easiest tool to use if you have not used it before.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...32(WS.10).aspx

If you need anyhelp let me know, I am currently doing this for over 250,000 desktops another one wont hurt

Last edited by scottc; 04-04-2011 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 03:57 PM   #10
Tunna_uk
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc View Post
There is no upgrade path for XP to Windows 7 it will be a clean install I am afraid.

Download the upgrade advisor to see if you will have any issues with the laptop that you are planning on upgrading.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...pgrade-advisor

You will need a USB stick or usb harddrive to backup the data, here is a link that will guide you though the process.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...p-to-windows-7

As for drivers they will be different for Windows 7, if you go x64 then the x86 drivers will not work anyway so it will be new drivers. As for apps they can be re-installed just watch any speed camera or old printers that may not have a Windows 7 driver. It's not supported by some Vista drivers will work on Windows 7 but not all, only use these if windows 7 cannot find a driver.

itunes is a bit*h, make sure you export your library to an xml file and then copy the music off. You will need to de-authorize the computer as once it's rebuilt you cannot remove the computer (there is a way but it resets all computers that are authorized)

Use the Windows Easy transfer tool http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...-easy-transfer

There are other tools like the user state migration tool (link below) but it's not the easiest tool to use if you have not used it before.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...32(WS.10).aspx

If you need anyhelp let me know, I am currently doing this for over 250,000 desktops another one wont hurt
sounds like you know your stuff, I had a feeling it wasn't going to be easy.
I will follow your advice and try our home desktop first. I think the daughters old Acer laptop might be a lot of trouble, the thing is its hard drive is split into two and one half only has 1.5 GB left ! A friend tried to change it using a partician magic, but it would not allow him to change it.....
its swamped with all those XP updates.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 04:01 PM   #11
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
Had a similar dilemma albeit on an Acer with 2Ghz dual core, 2GB RAM that was being a complete ar5e.

I ended up buying a Macbook Pro - brilliant decision.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 04:04 PM   #12
snipersix
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Retired 2017 F87 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335diesel View Post
Had a similar dilemma albeit on an Acer with 2Ghz dual core, 2GB RAM that was being a complete ar5e.

^+1
2017 M2 Coupe:|Black Sapphire Metallic|DCT|Nav/Idrive|M Performance CF Spoiler|M Performance CF DCT Interior| M Performance Gloss Black Kidney Grills| M Performance Steel Pedals | Eventuri CF CAI | 19" Brixton Rims | KW V3 Clubsport |
Retired: |2008 328i Sedan|Montego Blue|
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 04:10 PM   #13
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335diesel View Post

For home use the Mac's are great but thats only if you can afford it. If you need to upgrade it can be pretty easy as long as you follow the steps.

Get the data of the PC and then when you rebuild using Windows 7 you will be able to clear all partitions and create one large one. If you want to create an extra one for data you can but my only advice for that would be calculate how much you think you will use and then double it.

As I said if you need any help let me know.
      04-04-2011, 05:25 PM   #14
Tunna_uk
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Well I have decided to have a go with the laptop first. Followed your advice about i tunes.
TBH got nothing to loose as the laptop is on its last legs anyway!

So tommorow will be making a start.

thanks again
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 01:57 AM   #15
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Dont forget you internet favs as well, a lot of people for get about these

They will be in C:\Documents and Settings\"Your username"\Favorites