E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Track pads on rear vs oe

08-13-2014, 11:57 AM   #1
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

Track pads on rear vs oe

I have a stockish 330i with 335is brakes on the front that I use EBC Yellows for the track- awesome bite no fade.

I've always used oem on the rear. Would it be worthwhile to go to Yellows on the rear? I think with the extra grab in the rear, it would make trail braking more effective, but I'm not sure how much total extra braking power I will get.

I do know that when I had cheapies in the rear and went back to oem pads back there, They were very noticeably grabbier.

I don't have a ton of track experience like a lot of members but was just bumped to intermediate, and am trail braking every corner entry just about.

Plus I will save my street pads for the street.

Worth it?
      08-13-2014, 08:02 PM   #2
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Can't speak directly for your chassis, but running a more aggressive compound up front will shift the bias of the brake system forward. This is the safer, albeit slightly less performance oriented shift. I think you would be totally fine swapping in EBC YS rear pads, and you'll improve brake performance marginally IMO. Stock pads have excellent bite but have poor high temperature performance.

This is a very cool article about brake bias and how it works: http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...alance-matters
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 09:23 AM   #3
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
Can't speak directly for your chassis, but running a more aggressive compound up front will shift the bias of the brake system forward. This is the safer, albeit slightly less performance oriented shift. I think you would be totally fine swapping in EBC YS rear pads, and you'll improve brake performance marginally IMO. Stock pads have excellent bite but have poor high temperature performance.

This is a very cool article about brake bias and how it works: http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...alance-matters
Good read. The larger front brakes and track pads up front definitely shifted the bias noticeably frontward.

I bought the Yellows for the rear, they are good up to 900 degrees, which I'm sure is more than satisfactory for the rear.
      08-14-2014, 11:25 AM   #4
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Run same compounds front/rear. Just don't rear more aggressive rear as you may induce lock up.
      08-14-2014, 12:35 PM   #5
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealYourFace View Post
Good read. The larger front brakes and track pads up front definitely shifted the bias noticeably frontward.

I bought the Yellows for the rear, they are good up to 900 degrees, which I'm sure is more than satisfactory for the rear.
I think for front engined sprung passenger cars, you can't ever expect a lot of rear brake effort, especially when getting close to threshold. Maybe for mid or rear engined cars or race cars that are designed with purposeful suspension geometry.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 12:23 PM   #6
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Very frustrating. I ordered the Yellows for the rear from Summit on Weds, they said I would have them by Monday... I just checked the shipping tracker, they won't even be in Buffalo until Thursday... which is the second day of the HPDE.
      11-09-2014, 02:09 AM   #7
n55PR
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 335i M-sport e90

I used a grabier compound on the rear of my 335 and I really liked how it felt. Performance Friction pads, PF06 front and Pf 08 rears. Soon afterd went into a dedicated race car project, pads are for sale....cheap way to try the set up.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 03:57 PM   #8
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

I would recommend against EBC yellow for any serious tracking on the e9x platform. I was running the rear axel on those pads, which were literally falling apart after one weekend at the track. Don't even want to talk about stock textar pads, ruined a brand new set in my first three sessions at the track.

Considering you are running in intermediate, those pads will not be enough. Get some real track pads instead.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2014, 09:02 PM   #9
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
I would recommend against EBC yellow for any serious tracking on the e9x platform. I was running the rear axel on those pads, which were literally falling apart after one weekend at the track. Don't even want to talk about stock textar pads, ruined a brand new set in my first three sessions at the track.

Considering you are running in intermediate, those pads will not be enough. Get some real track pads instead.
Thanks for sharing... how long ago did you use the yellows? I know the 'old' yellows (don't ask me production dates or part numbers that's why I used the "...") but I do know that the older version had an issue with not holding together.

The yellows I used in the front this year were purchased this year, and did great. I also have a near stock, NA e90 on street rubber, with the 335is fronts, and the +/- 13" rear brakes the 330i came with, so it's not like they were pushed to crazy limits. On the fast straight , I am probably hitting 125 at the most, if I have a PERFECT exit on the previous corner, where a 335i would probably be going another 15 mph. That said, they had great bite, and consistent performance through the sessions, even on hot days.

The initial post this thread was about was going to a stronger rear pad to help contribute to additional yaw from trail braking. I also will be going to an e90 m3 rear bar when I do the subframe bushings, and whatever other maintenance I perform in the rear of the car while it's apart. Also considering going to an 18x9 square setup, which will also increase rear rotation on trail braking.
      11-16-2014, 11:12 AM   #10
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

As long as the yellow doesn't hit the self destruct temperature, these pads actually works pretty good. But once pass that they will literally apart, which itself is more dangerous than just a typical glazing of the pad surface. I used the front pads for about 2 sessions on a relatively slower track, but those melted after one session when I got a 300lbs instructor to sit with me... Rear pads did ok up until I spent a weekend at a different track when braking from 120 to 50 happens twice every two minutes.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 04:57 PM   #11
Wilsel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Currently seeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55PR View Post
I used a grabier compound on the rear of my 335 and I really liked how it felt. Performance Friction pads, PF06 front and Pf 08 rears. Soon afterd went into a dedicated race car project, pads are for sale....cheap way to try the set up.
I would also suggest some PFC06's. They have the best bite, and last a long time. Everything else I've tried just don't last more than 2-3 track days. They are track pads that you'll need to swap in/out but they are so worth it. Good pads and good tires can lower your lap times dramatically more than anything else.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 07:59 PM   #12
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealYourFace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post

Thanks for sharing... how long ago did you use the yellows? I know the 'old' yellows (don't ask me production dates or part numbers that's why I used the "...") but I do know that the older version had an issue with not holding together.

The yellows I used in the front this year were purchased this year, and did great. I also have a near stock, NA e90 on street rubber, with the 335is fronts, and the +/- 13" rear brakes the 330i came with, so it's not like they were pushed to crazy limits. On the fast straight , I am probably hitting 125 at the most, if I have a PERFECT exit on the previous corner, where a 335i would probably be going another 15 mph. That said, they had great bite, and consistent performance through the sessions, even on hot days.

The initial post this thread was about was going to a stronger rear pad to help contribute to additional yaw from trail braking. I also will be going to an e90 m3 rear bar when I do the subframe bushings, and whatever other maintenance I perform in the rear of the car while it's apart. Also considering going to an 18x9 square setup, which will also increase rear rotation on trail braking.
be very careful with M3 rear sway bar ... take your time to understand dynamic aspects of the suspension
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 09:09 PM   #13
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

^^ +1 A rear stiffer sway bar is not necessary for track use with e9x platform.

Also, my understanding is that a stronger FRONT pad is needed for great front weight transfer, which should in turn leading to greater ease of rotation during trail braking.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 12:30 PM   #14
dinanm3atl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 ZCP 70 Olds 442 F31 Diesel

If you like the Yellows I would look into PFC08 front/rear in the future when you need to replace.
Appreciate 0