E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 130k Miles, What are some must replace items?

05-26-2017, 10:12 AM   #1
pysical
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

130k Miles, What are some must replace items?

Car hit 130k and I will be soon hopefully putting on a ST. While the car is down I plan to replace all the worn parts. But what are some items that would normally need replaced at 130k? Assuming I haven't replaced anything. Including suspension as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2017, 10:26 AM   #2
max_330i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pysical View Post
Car hit 130k and I will be soon hopefully putting on a ST. While the car is down I plan to replace all the worn parts. But what are some items that would normally need replaced at 130k? Assuming I haven't replaced anything. Including suspension as well.
uh... what?!

You should have at least changed oil and tires at some point in 130K miles, surely you can't be serious that we should assume you haven't replaced anything.

All the fluids and filters should be first on your list. Then start looking into known E90 failure points, i.e. water pump.
      05-26-2017, 10:28 AM   #3
pysical
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_330i View Post
uh... what?!

You should have at least changed oil and tires at some point in 130K miles, surely you can't be serious that we should assume you haven't replaced anything.

All the fluids and filters should be first on your list. Then start looking into known E90 failure points, i.e. water pump.
I need to really state the oil has been changed?

Oil
Oil Filter
TIRES
Windshield Wipers
Transmission Fluid
Air in tires

Come on... My thread is asking for parts. IE: Gaskets, bushings, etc..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2017, 10:30 AM   #4
max_330i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

I'm not trying to nitpick and I'm sorry to see that I've frustrated you; I was simply taking your first post at face value. If you're asking about specific gaskets, I know the valve cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket, and oil pan gasket are all problematic on our cars-- if you have any sort of oil leak I would look into replacing those.
      05-26-2017, 10:32 AM   #5
pysical
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_330i View Post
I'm not trying to nitpick and I'm sorry to see that I've frustrated you; I was simply taking your first post at face value. If you're asking about specific gaskets, I know the valve cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket, and oil pan gasket are all problematic on our cars-- if you have any sort of oil leak I would look into replacing those.
I just figured since the engine is going to getting the turbos taken off I could just accomplish a bunch of stuff at once. Save me time from having to get to places that I would already have access to.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2017, 12:38 PM   #6
calicolorado
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Comp 6-spd

Garage List
2015 BMW M5   [0.00]
1972 BMW 200/  [0.00]
2020 BMW X7 40i  [0.00]
Quote:
My shocks were not up to snuff around that mileage so I went ahead and did a fairly comprehensive refresh. I replaced the front control arms/bushings with M3 units and installed the Bilstein B12 Prokit which contains Bilstein sport dampers tailored to Eibach springs. The ride quality and handling with these upgrades is absolutely top notch and feels about 10-15 percent firmer than a stock sport suspension. I will never again replace shocks on this car as they last essentially forever (1,000,000mi. guarantee). I have a car with well over 200k on a set and they are flawless as far as I can tell.

Other than that, maybe some interior trim items need a refresh? Just detail it and enjoy it, these cars are phenomenal.
2011 Highlander 4WD
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2017, 12:53 PM   #7
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

google Mike Miller BMW download the old school maintenance
schedule. Use your own judgment. divide by 2 for most stuff.
Things that likely need attention besides all the fluids.
Do not ignore the accessory belt tensioner.
(if the belt comes off or shreds it can take out you
motor via the front motor seal)

Some people do preemptive change of there water pump and
thermostat.
Radiator is likely at the end of life.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2017, 01:25 PM   #8
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:

If you are going to have the turbo's replaced, I would replace the inlets with Silicone ones. Replace the engine mounts with 335is mounts. Water pump and Thermastat plus the U shaped pump that connects the two.

In the front,

M3 control arms, tie rods, sway bar links, shocks and struts. Transmission mounts, sway bar bushings.

In the rear,

subframe bushings, shocks, differiental bushings, m3 control arms, ball joints, rear, front control arm bushings, rear, rear lower control arm bushings, rear, rear upper toe arms, sway bar links, Sway Bar bushings.

Fluids, everything -

1) transmission
2) Power steering
3) brake fluid
4) coolant
5) differiental

You probably have about $3,000 worth of parts plus the turbo's which is about $2,000.00 in parts by themselves. I'd go with RB's myself.

So, about $5,000.00 puts your car better than it was at 0 miles right from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2017, 11:25 PM   #9
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

If you're dropping the subframe for the turbo install then you may consider replacing the oil pan gasket. Otherwise I'd just replace parts as they fail.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 07:22 PM   #10
pysical
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicolorado View Post
My shocks were not up to snuff around that mileage so I went ahead and did a fairly comprehensive refresh. I replaced the front control arms/bushings with M3 units and installed the Bilstein B12 Prokit which contains Bilstein sport dampers tailored to Eibach springs. The ride quality and handling with these upgrades is absolutely top notch and feels about 10-15 percent firmer than a stock sport suspension. I will never again replace shocks on this car as they last essentially forever (1,000,000mi. guarantee). I have a car with well over 200k on a set and they are flawless as far as I can tell.

Other than that, maybe some interior trim items need a refresh? Just detail it and enjoy it, these cars are phenomenal.
I was thinking of bushings for the suspension but was not sure which bushings there are. I will for sure get some control arm bushings though. I might as well get some rear because my rear left control arm bolt is seized and BMW couldn't even get it off. Gonna have to do something and get that off then probably get it swapped out since it may be damaged.

As far as the interior, its good. I do want to get a DIY steering wheel cover. They have them on Amazon for about $50 that you sew on yourself and they look very nice. And some leather is starting to crack/peel so I have a kit to fix that. Trim is wrapped in carbon fiber vinyl so I am also good on that as well. But thanks for suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 07:26 PM   #11
pysical
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
If you are going to have the turbo's replaced, I would replace the inlets with Silicone ones. Replace the engine mounts with 335is mounts. Water pump and Thermastat plus the U shaped pump that connects the two.

In the front,

M3 control arms, tie rods, sway bar links, shocks and struts. Transmission mounts, sway bar bushings.

In the rear,

subframe bushings, shocks, differiental bushings, m3 control arms, ball joints, rear, front control arm bushings, rear, rear lower control arm bushings, rear, rear upper toe arms, sway bar links, Sway Bar bushings.

Fluids, everything -

1) transmission
2) Power steering
3) brake fluid
4) coolant
5) differiental

You probably have about $3,000 worth of parts plus the turbo's which is about $2,000.00 in parts by themselves. I'd go with RB's myself.

So, about $5,000.00 puts your car better than it was at 0 miles right from the factory.
I am thinking about going ST so I will be selling my RB inlets that are on it. I have been looking into getting some new engine mounts. I have read good things about the 034 mounts. The water pump looks like it was replaced very recent by the previous owner but a tstat wouldn't hurt.

I have original RB turbos on the car now. If I sold those, the Hi-Flow downpipes, the RB Inlets, AFE Intake, and the other twin turbo parts I could recoop about 2k+ easily. This would make up some money for going single and help to replace parts. Thank you for the list of bushings though I will keep those noted.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 07:32 PM   #12
pysical
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02 View Post
If you're dropping the subframe for the turbo install then you may consider replacing the oil pan gasket. Otherwise I'd just replace parts as they fail.
Will also keep that in mind. The bolts have to be changed as well right since they are aluminum one time use?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 07:51 PM   #13
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02 View Post
Will also keep that in mind. The bolts have to be changed as well right since they are aluminum one time use?
Yes the Oil Pam bolts are one time use. That's one thing I neglected to put on my list as well as the rear main seal. If both of those haven't gone, they will soon
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 07:53 PM   #14
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post

In the front,

In the rear,

Fluids, everything -

1) transmission
2) Power steering
3) brake fluid
4) coolant
5) differiental

I am thinking about going ST so I will be selling my RB inlets that are on it. I have been looking into getting some new engine mounts. I have read good things about the 034 mounts. The water pump looks like it was replaced very recent by the previous owner but a tstat wouldn't hurt.

I have original RB turbos on the car now. If I sold those, the Hi-Flow downpipes, the RB Inlets, AFE Intake, and the other twin turbo parts I could recoop about 2k+ easily. This would make up some money for going single and help to replace parts. Thank you for the list of bushings though I will keep those noted.
You can go with M3 bushings or something even more rigid. Daily drivers probably need to use m3 bushings. Poly bushings are too stiff for the DD.
Appreciate 0