Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Flat tire!

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

12-19-2012, 12:00 AM   #1
666hi5ive666
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i

Flat tire!

Hi guys,

I need you guys input on flat tire situation i have at the moment.
So there's a nail stuck in one of my front tire, (RUN FLAT TIRE)

Question is, Would you guys just change ONE flat tire or buy 2 or buy all 4, i know its all depends on your other tire thread remaining, but usually what would you guys do ? Lets just say for example, 70% left on all other tires,***

and *IF* replacing just that flat tire, is it better to get the same brand or different brand, doesnt matter?

Thanks guys, This is my first time having this problem, Any info would be appreciated!!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Just get it patched, or patch it yourself with something like this:
http://www.stopngo.com/products/Stan...e-Plugger.html

If it still leaks THEN worry about replacing it.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

If the tire hasn't been damaged by runing it while totally deflated, it may be repaired. Otherwise, with 70% tread on the remaining tires, I'd opt for replacing only the one tire - and definitely with the exact same brand, model and size.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 03:59 PM   #4
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Depending on how bad the nail is and where it's located, a shop can have it patched. No need to swap for new tires. However, if you do need new tires, if it's +70% tread life, you should be OK. If you're a bit weary, swap two tires on the same axle.
      12-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
Rickstir
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xI Couple

MY 2009 335i Xdrive came with RFT's and I have 44K miles on my car and I've had to replace the run flats twice because of hitting a pot hole which caused a bulge on the side wall which caused the tire to vibrate terribly. Since the BMW is all wheel drive I had to replace all 4 tires on each occasion !

Well Merry Christmas to me, another bulge in my right front tire that is causing massive vibrations ! I am not replacing the tires with RFT's again, but this time I am going with NON Run Flats ! I ordered Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires.

I'll buy a jack, portable air compressor, and a can of fix it flat and keep them in the trunk !

I've been told by BMW and my local tire shop that you cannot properly repair a RFT and that it requires replacement. I was suspect of my local tire shop, so I conferred with my local trusted BMW dealer and they confirmed that you cannot properly or safely repair a RFT.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Rickstir: you didn't save any of the "good" tires after the first go around? Had you done that, you would have had 3 perfectly good spares...or if they were still fairly new, you could have just ordered one tire from TireRack and asked them to shave it down to match the other three.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 09:09 PM   #7
explorer2
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Rickstir: you didn't save any of the "good" tires after the first go around? Had you done that, you would have had 3 perfectly good spares...or if they were still fairly new, you could have just ordered one tire from TireRack and asked them to shave it down to match the other three.
My understanding is that for x-drive/ most awd vehicles all 4 tires must have the same diameter. Mixing new and used tires could cause excessive wear on the clutches in the transfer case.
Appreciate 0