E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 328 to 335/M3 Trunk Storage

10-28-2014, 02:00 PM   #1
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

328 to 335/M3 Trunk Storage

So you want to do a 335i/M3 rear bumper with centered exhaust? Because I do.

So I didn't want to reroute my E-Vap canister. All it took was one long piece of stainless steel which I bent and then used self tapping screws to go into the cars frame. And one into the battery tray and its sitting there without a problem it isn't a heavy component and the way its shaped it wont move if held in an upright position. Once this is held up only now should you move onto pulling the original storage tray out.

Next putting in the M3 trunk storage compartment. I got this from BMW Atlanta Shipped to me for $140 new to Seattle. This is a direct swap and all you have to do is remove all of your under body plastics and and remove the Evap screws (2) and 2 from the exhaust shield on the left side. From the inside of the trunk I removed the center long carpeted storage cover, the battery cover, the amp cover. Then there are 10, 10mm nuts that need to be removed and with a few taps with a plastic mallet from under the storage unit can be picked directly up and then you have a big ass hole in your trunk

In reverse order install the storage, and put all of your crap back in the trunk as it was there before.

Then underneath I just pushed the stock exhaust shield as far up as I could to the new Storage box and then used its original holes and just tapped 2 1/2 self tapping screws into the furthest corners of the new storage box.

Hope this helps, its pretty simple once you've done it or have seen some better pics to really get you to think harder about what needs to be done.
Attached Images

Last edited by Taran.J; 11-01-2014 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 02:28 PM   #2
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

I'm curious about this "-Coded virtual MPH, live MPG, Disabled seatbelt chimes, auto unlock at Stop, windows up and down with remote. " How?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 02:30 PM   #3
SCMalum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 328XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
I'm curious about this "-Coded virtual MPH, live MPG, Disabled seatbelt chimes, auto unlock at Stop, windows up and down with remote. " How?
Coding, son.
      10-28-2014, 02:33 PM   #4
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMalum
Quote:
Coding, son.
+1 lol
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 02:42 PM   #5
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMalum View Post
Coding, son.
Hmm....
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 03:09 PM   #6
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMalum View Post
Coding, son.
Yup, lots to be done via coding. Passenger side unlock with comfort access unlock is amazing.

Same way to have the car think it has an LSD, disable brake fade compensation, and disable brake heat based limp mode.
      10-28-2014, 03:22 PM   #7
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
Yup, lots to be done via coding. Passenger side unlock with comfort access unlock is amazing.

Same way to have the car think it has an LSD, disable brake fade compensation, and disable brake heat based limp mode.
WHOA. Where and who can I have do all of this? Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 03:54 PM   #8
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom
Quote:

Look up BIM coding on face book or pm me I can give you his number. He can do it all remotely just tell him taran sent you and he'll hook it up
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 03:55 PM   #9
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
You can do it yourself if you read up enough:

http://www.**************/

bmw coding =***********
      10-28-2014, 04:10 PM   #10
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taran.J View Post
Look up BIM coding on face book or pm me I can give you his number. He can do it all remotely just tell him taran sent you and he'll hook it up
Quote:
You can do it yourself if you read up enough:

http://www.**************/

bmw coding =***********
Thank you both!!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 05:16 PM   #11
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep

Updated with pictures in first post.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 10:47 AM   #12
LocDawgg
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW e90

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS! ive been looking for the past two weeks for info on this.

Okay questions!

Why did you use a stainless steel piece to support the E-Vap Canister? Like whats supporting it now that you have to modify it?

Do you plan on using another heat shield for the second muffler on the passenger side? if so where do you think its ideal to mount it?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 10:49 AM   #13
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocDawgg
THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS! ive been looking for the past two weeks for info on this.

Okay questions!

Why did you use a stainless steel piece to support the E-Vap Canister? Like whats supporting it now that you have to modify it?

Do you plan on using another heat shield for the second muffler on the passenger side? if so where do you think its ideal to mount it?
So I chose stainless steel plate just because it's light and I had it laying around in the garage. Easy to cut and bend.

I'll be keeping my PE but I will be moving it to the center so I can put my M3 rear bumper on and run the tips directly out because my current set up there is not much room all the way at the rear.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 11:08 AM   #14
LocDawgg
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW e90

Quote:
So I chose stainless steel plate just because it's light and I had it laying around in the garage. Easy to cut and bend.

I'll be keeping my PE but I will be moving it to the center so I can put my M3 rear bumper on and run the tips directly out because my current set up there is not much room all the way at the rear.
But im asking why do you have to support it using the stainless steel? Whats currently supporting it now that you had to remove and customize?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 11:21 AM   #15
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocDawgg
Quote:

But im asking why do you have to support it using the stainless steel? Whats currently supporting it now that you had to remove and customize?
You have to support the Evap canister because without it, it would just drag on the floor because it was mounted to the 328 storage. And the M3 one is too high up that you have to secure it
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 12:25 AM   #16
daviddn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 AW

Wow, good job. It is coming out nicely. Although, it does seem to be a bit more complicated and expensive. You could have done it this way, I think it is much easier and cheaper. You still get the m3 exhaust look.
Attached Images

2011 E92 AW
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 04:24 AM   #17
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Now THAT ^^^^^^^^^ setup is beautiful

Always would have like to do this - but ended up taking the EZ route & going with the PE
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 08:54 AM   #18
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddn
Wow, good job. It is coming out nicely. Although, it does seem to be a bit more complicated and expensive. You could have done it this way, I think it is much easier and cheaper. You still get the m3 exhaust look.
What muffler is that and how is the cabin noise? Any drone?

I could have but I'm really invested with this 328 so the best or nothing at this point lol
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 11:09 AM   #19
SCMalum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 328XI

I agree with the image shown above...this is my car

11-05-2014, 11:42 AM   #20
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMalum
I agree with the image shown above...this is my car

But I'll be using my PE not piping or using a new muffler
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 12:29 PM   #21
daviddn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taran.J
Quote:

I could have but I'm really invested with this 328 so the best or nothing at this point lol
It's probably the magnaflow muffler 12158 or the 11148. These mufflers are often used by n52 owners to get the dual exhaust look. I have one on my car, there is no drone at all. Maybe there is but I can't hear it.

Well you are right, it's too late at this point lol. When you are done be sure to post some pics up. 1m bumper on the front and m3 in the back it's going to be sick.

2011 E92 AW
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 01:00 PM   #22
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taran.J
Quote:

It's probably the magnaflow muffler 12158 or the 11148. These mufflers are often used by n52 owners to get the dual exhaust look. I have one on my car, there is no drone at all. Maybe there is but I can't hear it.

Well you are right, it's too late at this point lol. When you are done be sure to post some pics up. 1m bumper on the front and m3 in the back it's going to be sick.
Well by drone our engine usually occur at 2k to 3k where the engine is making its low end and cruising speed. So if your on the highway and are just casually passing or picking up speed in that range it is notable in the cabins of our cars.

Yes the plan is LCI 1M, CF M3 hood, CF M3 mirrors, and M3 rear bumper.
Appreciate 0