E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Smartphone or Stupid Phone?

04-26-2007, 08:40 PM   #1
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Smartphone or Stupid Phone?

Not having been 100% satisfied with my Verizon Palm Treo 650, I nonetheless enjoyed the functionality of syncing my business contacts and appointments from Microsoft Outlook. So I upgraded to the Palm Treo 700wx, which uses the Windows OS. Between the new OS and the new PROGMAN, dealing with the Bluetooth feature has been a pain in the ass.

The phone:

- The system is as unstable as the old Windows 95, but instead of the blue screen of death, it simply freezes.
- It's hard to see how many voicemail messages one has on the main screen.
- It doesn't dial sometimes when you tell it to dial, then dials several minutes (over an hour on one occasion) later on its own.
- Now I have to pull my car over, put on my glasses, take out the stylus and poke the selections on the small screen.
- I have a plethora of other complaints in my soapbox, but I'll get off it.

The BMW Bluetooth integration:

- Voice Recognition (VR) does not work anymore - we all know this.
- Loses sync with phone often.
- Slower than my Apple II Plus computer was with 48K of RAM in emulator mode. My Apple was more reliable.
- Since inputs and outputs are slow on the iDrive monitor, it ends up sometimes doing things you don't want it to do (e.g., dial a number when you're trying to select an FM station). Ever play a FPS game online with dial-up? This is worse.

Solution?

I'm stuck with the phone for another two years. Maybe I'll just use the PDA feature of this phone, then buy an iPhone or something more simple /reliable to make actual phone calls.

As for PROGMAN, BMW will soon release it's less buggy (I hope) version. No VR? Shitty quality control if you ask me. Whomever, or whatever department(s) is responsible for developing those updates needs to get its act together.
      04-26-2007, 10:04 PM   #2
Caster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 SG 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I think you should of checked out the 700p, I don't trust Windows on computers that well, I doubt I'd trust them on my phone lol. You could wait for the iPhone or w/e they decided to call it.

The problem with all these "smartphones" is that they all have problems, they might have the best features, good battery life, but at times there better PDA then phones or better phones then PDA's, and its never just the right amount of both, which was why I switched to my RAZR, as bad as a phone it is, its a phone, its not a smartphone, just a phone, and thats all I needed..

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 10:16 PM   #3
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

My Blackjack has none of the problems you've listed. Never crashed once, text is nice and big, no stupid touchscreens. The phone is slow, but only sometimes but what else do you expect from Redmond? Overall it's the best phone I've had so far I'd say (priors include, moto i720, v600, Sidekick and SE w800i). I love the expandability of the Windows phone though, nice and easy to get your java apps up and running (gmail, google maps, games, etc.) good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 06:42 PM   #4
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfrogman View Post

Solution?

I'm stuck with the phone for another two years. Maybe I'll just use the PDA feature of this phone, then buy an iPhone or something more simple /reliable to make actual phone calls.

As for PROGMAN, BMW will soon release it's less buggy (I hope) version. No VR? Shitty quality control if you ask me. Whomever, or whatever department(s) is responsible for developing those updates needs to get its act together.

This I think is the best possible solution, as the Treo really isn't all that it's cracked up to be.

I have a 700p with similar stupid complaints with its functionality, and its syncing.

I think the iPhone, although unknown if completely compatible, will be integrated well into BMW, considering BMW's strive to work with Apple.

It seems like a reasonable option, I'm going to do this myself.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 07:41 PM   #5
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMidge View Post
This I think is the best possible solution, as the Treo really isn't all that it's cracked up to be.

I have a 700p with similar stupid complaints with its functionality, and its syncing.

I think the iPhone, although unknown if completely compatible, will be integrated well into BMW, considering BMW's strive to work with Apple.

It seems like a reasonable option, I'm going to do this myself.
Unfortunately, I understand the iPhone will be available only to Cingular customers at first. I have Verizon.
      05-16-2007, 07:59 PM   #6
bmw0perat0r
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Austin Yellow

I have a smartphone from Cingular - froze...all sorts of problems. My father recently picked up a new smartphone from Cingular, their most expensive model - same thing, gives him trouble all the time and won't stay connected to his bmw bluetooth.

I got rid of the smartphone and went with a razr v3xx - no troubles, bluetooth with the bmw works great, no freezing...etc. Anything that runs on windows based software seems nothing but trouble.

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2007, 03:12 PM   #7
Dmitriy@AUTOcouture
Major
Rep
Drives: carefully

SOLUTION: Get a Blackberry

All your troubles will go away, and it works flawlessly with iDrive
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2007, 03:17 PM   #8
Hunter399
Major General