E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > 2013 Track Dates (Quebec, Ontario and U.S. North East)

01-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #45
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
2nd time he mentions this, I guess he must be serious I think Toronto makes it still in the Eastern region. I guess you must go where the job is, although it's so bland to live there
yea nothing set in stone.... going to try and stick to the east coast but you never know....

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #46
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
do the seat first then camber... seat makes a huge difference to how the car feels... most worth while mod i ever did.... cant stand the crappy stock seats that dont hold you in place.

should have bought my carbon-kevlar recaro that i was selling a while back... sold it for a ridiculously low price.... lol... oh wells. the suzuka pro seats are just as narrow as what i had.

i got -1.7 degrees of camber for both front and back without camber plates... its not quite enough to get you 100% even tire wear but it gets your pretty close... so i think you can do without camber for a while...
i can only get to -1.4

im not getting the suzuka pro. i am getting the suzuka GT which is for big boys like GewoW. Already tried it.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #47
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by GewoW View Post
may do may 3-5 racing academy. will talk to carl for more details

also plan to do a lot of bogie and tremblant. might pull a mosport we'll see.

will likely be add this to the beast +/- camber. too much $ on mods!

what would u guys suggest? camber or seat? i'm really thinking seat more important than camber for me. need all 4 corners camber so same price as seat
I have the Pro. Very comfy. Do seat test at Perry Auto ask Kevin, Alex or Carl for an early morning appointment so you can have their full attention for 30-60 minutes as you try them out.

Get both. Seat and front camber plates are all that is needed. You wont need much more than stock setting for rear as it is.

Last edited by jgalaxy; 01-10-2013 at 08:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 08:50 PM   #48
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalaxy View Post
I have the Pro. Very comfy. Do seat test at Perry Auto ask Kevin, Alex or Carl for an early morning appointment so you can have their full attention for 30-60 minutes as you try them out.

Get both. Seat and front camber plates are all that is needed. You wont need much more than stock setting for rear as it is.
I already went to Perry and spoke to Carl for like 20-30 mins. Seats. Pads. Camber. Tried the 2 seats i thought would be best. The OMP WRC XL and the Cobra Suzuka GT. I have to say that the OMP is more comfy, but the Cobra hug more and has WAAAAYYYY more shoulder support. So I decided on that.

As for camber, should I not change both back and front? I know fronts are maxed at -1.4 for me. Unsure of what my rears are. What is the install time like? I just dont want to kill myself moneywise. Seat is 850 but add tax, brackets, install, coding etc. then the camber is 500. Add duty and shipping and install. Youre almost at 2500 for both...

Anyways. Wanna maximize track time too.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #49
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I already went to Perry and spoke to Carl for like 20-30 mins. Seats. Pads. Camber. Tried the 2 seats i thought would be best. The OMP WRC XL and the Cobra Suzuka GT. I have to say that the OMP is more comfy, but the Cobra hug more and has WAAAAYYYY more shoulder support. So I decided on that.

As for camber, should I not change both back and front? I know fronts are maxed at -1.4 for me. Unsure of what my rears are. What is the install time like? I just dont want to kill myself moneywise. Seat is 850 but add tax, brackets, install, coding etc. then the camber is 500. Add duty and shipping and install. Youre almost at 2500 for both...

Anyways. Wanna maximize track time too.
Funny. I liked the OMP seat better too. It was also cheaper, but I liked how the Suzuka hugged better.

Adding more camber in the rear isnt needed. It's the front that will need it. -2* to -3* if can get it. Rears will stay at stock settings.

Seat needs the rails (slider if you go all out) and someone to install. The camber plates needs install and is pretty easy to do. Mr Seb can help you out or your local preferred shop.

Camber will help with more even wear on the track. So technically, the camber kit has better bang for the buck, saving on tires. Having a square setup also helps in being able to rotate tires from any corner.

The seat is a comfort thing. But from your videos ... Looks like that might be the priority. Have you tried a CG Lock (I have one for sale .... ) which I found useful.
      01-11-2013, 07:07 AM   #50
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Quote:
Funny. I liked the OMP seat better too. It was also cheaper, but I liked how the Suzuka hugged better.

Adding more camber in the rear isnt needed. It's the front that will need it. -2* to -3* if can get it. Rears will stay at stock settings.

Seat needs the rails (slider if you go all out) and someone to install. The camber plates needs install and is pretty easy to do. Mr Seb can help you out or your local preferred shop.

Camber will help with more even wear on the track. So technically, the camber kit has better bang for the buck, saving on tires. Having a square setup also helps in being able to rotate tires from any corner.

The seat is a comfort thing. But from your videos ... Looks like that might be the priority. Have you tried a CG Lock (I have one for sale .... ) which I found useful.
I will most likely get square setup. My rear tires are almost done I am contemplating getting same size rears now.

As for the CG, idk. I dont feel it will remedy the situation. I am sliding left and right mostly and there is no better way to stop that than lateral bum support with a race seat. Plus im constantly flexing in the opposite direction when turning and also bolstering my leg with my car door...its annoying
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 08:41 AM   #51
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:
i can only get to -1.4

im not getting the suzuka pro. i am getting the suzuka GT which is for big boys like GewoW. Already tried it.
yea i think i could get a little more cos i was slightly lowered on KWs...

but really camber doesnt make you go faster... it just makes your tire wear more even. considering that you dont track that much, its really no biggie to not have so much camber. whatever accelerated tire wear that you get would be minimal.

seat would definitely make a bigger difference.

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #52
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I will most likely get square setup. My rear tires are almost done I am contemplating getting same size rears now.

As for the CG, idk. I dont feel it will remedy the situation. I am sliding left and right mostly and there is no better way to stop that than lateral bum support with a race seat. Plus im constantly flexing in the opposite direction when turning and also bolstering my leg with my car door...its annoying
had the exact same issues.... once you have a proper seat, you wont need the CG lock.... CG lock really didnt do much for me.

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #53
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

Quote:
Thought you were doing less this year! Resolution did not last long
Quote:
ken is right, your new years resolution about doing less track days did not last long at all. lol....
Last year I did 19 days... if I do 14 days this year.. I'll be down 25% from last year. Which is considerable.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 09:04 AM   #54
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

CG-Lock is better than nothing... I give it a 2/5... But a race seat is 5/5 for stability. I would do seat before camber. But both would be nice.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #55
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybest View Post
Last year I did 19 days... if I do 14 days this year.. I'll be down 25% from last year. Which is considerable.
wow.... didnt realise it was 19 days.... most number of track days i did was in 2011 i believe... and that was about 14 track days... i was at the track almost every other weekend. thats a lot of track time.

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #56
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Quote:
yea i think i could get a little more cos i was slightly lowered on KWs...

but really camber doesnt make you go faster... it just makes your tire wear more even. considering that you dont track that much, its really no biggie to not have so much camber. whatever accelerated tire wear that you get would be minimal.

seat would definitely make a bigger difference.
of course it makes you go faster! more contact patch = more grip = less understeer = vroom vroom. looking for 2 more seconds with seat + camber this year if i do both.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #57
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
of course it makes you go faster! more contact patch = more grip = less understeer = vroom vroom. looking for 2 more seconds with seat + camber this year if i do both.
You'll get more than 2 secs with the camber and seat. If you will track a lot, you'll want the camber to help reduce over cost of eating tires. Else go for the seat. If budget permits, both. Good luck.
      01-11-2013, 11:47 PM   #58
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:
if you already have some negative camber on your set up, adding more negative camber will not give you any more grip. it will just prolong tire life by making your tire wear more evenly... otherwise your tires will self compensate to a certain extent by wearing slightly more unevenly, effectively you will still get full contact patch in corners even with less negative camber...you can test if you are getting full grip by checking temps across the tread... you dont need that much camber to get even temps across the tread, thats how i tell if the tire is getting full contact or not. more = better (but only to a certain extent).

you can try this experiment yourself... camber only helps to a certain point. beyond that, it doesnt do anything. i tried it on my car (max camber on stock set up and max camber i could get with KW set up with no camber plates). only thing it does is increase tire life... which is useful but if you dont track that much, its not essential. especially if you drive your car with negative camber on the street, which should help even out any excessive wear on the outer edge.

Last edited by montreal red; 01-12-2013 at 12:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 09:46 AM   #59
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GewoW
Quote:

One last thought around the seat business. Unless you put in a 5/6 harness the seat and 3 point OEM belt will not provide correct safety in a crash. I won't go into the details, but if the three point belt will be used you would use a sport seat from Recaro that has the proper opening
      01-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #60
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
One last thought around the seat business. Unless you put in a 5/6 harness the seat and 3 point OEM belt will not provide correct safety in a crash. I won't go into the details, but if the three point belt will be used you would use a sport seat from Recaro that has the proper opening
And wouldn't 5/6 point belt also need a cage to go with it?
      01-12-2013, 11:53 AM   #61
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Quote:
can u go into details? lol
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #62
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth
Quote:
And wouldn't 5/6 point belt also need a cage to go with it?
No cage, but you'll need a small hoop and cross members. You lose the space in the rear seat. Without, clubs or track may likely not let you go out. And it's just plain dangerous not being properly belted in.
      01-12-2013, 07:09 PM   #63
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
No cage, but you'll need a small hoop and cross members. You lose the space in the rear seat. Without, clubs or track may likely not let you go out. And it's just plain dangerous not being properly belted in.
Ok sorry brother Joel! I am like George, not sure am understanding properly.

Can you dumb it down a little for us?
      01-12-2013, 11:45 PM   #64
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Ok sorry brother Joel! I am like George, not sure am understanding properly.

Can you dumb it down a little for us?
Race seats are not designed to be used with the OEM 3 point (Unless you get a sport seat). You cannot belt yourself if properly. It is designed for a 4/5/6 point harness. Using the three point, the belt does not properly come in contact with your hips and the belt cannot be belted through the hole into the OEM receptacle. Most people will just belt them over the edge of the seat. Again not good.

This setup gives you good side bolstering and allows proper positioning of the OEM belt and supports a race harness.

This one is correctly done with a hoop and cross members for multipoint harness.

This is a race seat that uses the OEM 3 point. He would sit in his seat and strap the belt over the edges of the race seat into the OEM bet receptacle, never making contact with the hips and our natural fold point. In an accident, because the belts are not correctly located over your hips, you would submarine under the belt and find yourself folded up under the dash. Each to their own I guess. I say do it right the first time, be safe, and have fun. Dont cut corners with safety. (Brought to by the Canadian Auto Insurance Association and your local Emerg/Trauma Centre)
      01-13-2013, 07:24 AM   #65
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Winter auto project
Attached Images

01-13-2013, 07:31 AM   #66
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Winter auto project
finally working on the rear of your car?
Appreciate 0