E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > LOW OIL Counter: Negative Numbers



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
KeepitClassy
Banned
United_States
19
Rep
266
Posts

Drives: BMW LCI e90
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Orlando, Florida

iTrader: (0)

Exclamation LOW OIL Counter: Negative Numbers

Right now my Low Oil Indicator is lighting up red when i turn on the vehicle. When i check the Oil Level is shows a ticking clock with the bar appearing as empty. When i look at the miles left to change the oil, it shows -300.

I plan to get my oil changed next week, will i be okay driving like this for the next 7 days?

What will happen to the vehicle?

What's the worst case scenario?

is it that severe?

thank you for your time.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
Spensaur
Lieutenant
Spensaur's Avatar
16
Rep
556
Posts

Drives: E93 328i
Join Date: May 2008
Location: So.Cal

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
I advise you not. Is it worth the risk?
__________________
2007 E93 328i | Space Gray Coral Red | M-Tech Front Bumper w/ Carbon Fiber Splitters | BMW Performance Rear Bumper | BMW Performance Exhaust w/ Secondary Cat Delete | Injen Intake | HID Angel Eyes | M3 Trunk Lip Spoiler

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
KeepitClassy
Banned
United_States
19
Rep
266
Posts

Drives: BMW LCI e90
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Orlando, Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spensaur View Post
I advise you not. Is it worth the risk?
The risk of what exactly?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #4
skatenc123
Captain
skatenc123's Avatar
6
Rep
648
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i coupe
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NC

iTrader: (1)

Not having any oil and locking up the engine.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
Bimmer Barney
Lieutenant
Bimmer Barney's Avatar
61
Rep
539
Posts

Drives: 2011.5 E90M ZCP
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: California

iTrader: (4)

The red oil symbol is concerning. Do you have a leak? Do not run your engine without sufficient oil. It could cause irreversible damage in a matter of a minute. If it were just a quart low, it would be the yellow oil can symbol.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 08:58 PM   #6
Titanium3er
First Lieutenant
Titanium3er's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
343
Posts

Drives: '08 335i, '03 Kawa Z1000
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SW FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
If it were me, the fact that the warning is red, not yellow, would keep me from driving it anywhere but to the shop for an oil change (if you can even call it a change since there's very little oil in the engine currently).

Is whatever you have going on during the next 7 days important enough to risk engine failure which could cost $10k+?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 09:02 PM   #7
CombatNinja
Banned
CombatNinja's Avatar
24
Rep
1,587
Posts

Drives: e91 328i, e90 328i, e90 335i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

You guys do realize that the oil level indicator only measures the last quart, right? Even if it reads "MIN", it only takes a quart to top it off. It is not like you would be driving around with no oil. Address the issue soon but don't freak out.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
v6turbo
Private First Class
United_States
8
Rep
192
Posts

Drives: '87 Buick GN, '06 330i jet blk
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Alabama

iTrader: (1)

If you can't get the oil changed right away and must drive the car at least add oil to it, you are probably looking at less than $20. If you continue to drive it and it gets to hot you could damage the piston rings or the pistons them self, then you looking at BIG $$$ to get the engine rebuilt, and be without a car for a few week. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 09:13 PM   #9
Efthreeoh
Major General
United_States
2508
Rep
9,690
Posts

Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

Okay so first off the CBS oil change indicator is telling you that you are 300 miles past due for an oil change., How long are you waiting for the oil level to be read? It takes about 6 - 10 miles of driving for the engine to reach operating temperature and other requirements for the e-dipstick to read properly. If after 15 minutes of driving the e-dipstick will not measure the oil, then the sensor is going bad and needs to be replaced.

Second, the CBS should have been counting down in increments of 10 miles that the oil was due; did you notice the chime and yellow service icon each time you shut the engine off. Once it goes negative, you get a (red) warning only at engine start.

Third, if the engine was too low on oil, the low oil pressure warning would appear and stay on.

When was the last oil change? It should have been anywhere between 10,000 and 15,000 miles ago.

Any chance you read the owners manual that is in the trunk? It tells you all the answers to the questions you have asked.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 07-29-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 09:13 PM   #10
KeepitClassy
Banned
United_States
19
Rep
266
Posts

Drives: BMW LCI e90
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Orlando, Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatNinja View Post
You guys do realize that the oil level indicator only measures the last quart, right? Even if it reads "MIN", it only takes a quart to top it off. It is not like you would be driving around with no oil. Address the issue soon but don't freak out.
So my car is a 2009 328i lci sedan. Which oil would you recommend i purchase for my vehicle? And where am i able to make the purchase? Also, how much should i buy? Thanks. I just need it to last me until the next week.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 09:15 PM   #11
KeepitClassy
Banned
United_States
19
Rep
266
Posts

Drives: BMW LCI e90
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Orlando, Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6turbo View Post
If you can't get the oil changed right away and must drive the car at least add oil to it, you are probably looking at less than $20. If you continue to drive it and it gets to hot you could damage the piston rings or the pistons them self, then you looking at BIG $$$ to get the engine rebuilt, and be without a car for a few week. Good luck!
Won't i get a warning before something like this happens? Don't are vehicles have Fail Safes? Won't the engine shut down before something like this happens?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 09:24 PM   #12
skatenc123
Captain
skatenc123's Avatar
6
Rep
648
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i coupe
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NC

iTrader: (1)

Low oil pressure warning. And you sorta already have the warning showing up now.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 09:28 PM   #13
KeepitClassy
Banned
United_States
19
Rep
266
Posts

Drives: BMW LCI e90
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Orlando, Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatenc123 View Post
Low oil pressure warning. And you sorta already have the warning showing up now.
What's the lowest you can run it? Right now I'm at -300
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 09:31 PM   #14
skatenc123
Captain
skatenc123's Avatar
6
Rep
648
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i coupe
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepitClassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatenc123 View Post
Low oil pressure warning. And you sorta already have the warning showing up now.
What's the lowest you can run it? Right now I'm at -300
Not sure. You could probably go a while asking as you kept topping off the oil to the correct level. I have a 335i and change mine every 5000 miles. Little anal about it.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 09:34 PM   #15
index1489
Colonel
index1489's Avatar
United_States
72
Rep
2,186
Posts

Drives: Out of warranty BMW
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chino, CA

iTrader: (7)

It's red because your past due for service in this case oil service 300 miles over, it's not really a big deal, you can check the oil level by reading your owners manual, if the level is ok it's not a big deal just get your oil changed already.

If you are actually low on oil and your low oil pressure light is on drive another car to the auto store and buy Mobil 1 0-40 European Formula and top it off.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 09:34 PM   #16
Titanium3er
First Lieutenant
Titanium3er's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
343
Posts

Drives: '08 335i, '03 Kawa Z1000
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SW FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepitClassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatenc123 View Post
Low oil pressure warning. And you sorta already have the warning showing up now.
What's the lowest you can run it? Right now I'm at -300
Keep going and you'll find out. Be sure to let us know.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 09:57 PM   #17
Efthreeoh
Major General
United_States
2508
Rep
9,690
Posts

Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepitClassy View Post
What's the lowest you can run it? Right now I'm at -300
Dude! You are mixing things up here. The red warning (with -300) you are getting is for being past the mileage interval for the currently needed oil change; not a low oil pressure warning. The two warnings are totally separate things. They can happen simultaneously if you've let the car go way past the +1QT notification that the car is 1 quart low on oil. Is a red oilcan symbol constantly lit in the gauge cluster when the engine is running? If that is the case, then you ARE low on oil and you should not drive the car. If you are just referring to the oil change past due (red) warning when you start the car (and then it goes away) you are just past due on the oil change. If the CBS (Condition Base Service) system is not reading the oil level after 10 - 15 minutes of driving then the oil level/condition sensor is faulty and needs to be replaced. Just take it to the dealer and let them have their way with you because you have no clue on how to interpret what the car is telling you. RFTM.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 07-29-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #18
KeepitClassy
Banned
United_States
19
Rep
266
Posts

Drives: BMW LCI e90
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Orlando, Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by index1489 View Post
It's red because your past due for service in this case oil service 300 miles over, it's not really a big deal, you can check the oil level by reading your owners manual, if the level is ok it's not a big deal just get your oil changed already.

If you are actually low on oil and your low oil pressure light is on drive another car to the auto store and buy Mobil 1 0-40 European Formula and top it off.
How many qts should i buy to top it off? And how long will that last me for? Will It be good enoug to delay the oil change for 30 days?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 10:08 PM   #19
KeepitClassy
Banned
United_States
19
Rep
266
Posts

Drives: BMW LCI e90
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Orlando, Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Dude! You are mixing things up here. The red warning (with -300) you are getting is for being past the mileage interval for the currently needed oil change; not a low oil pressure warning. The two warnings are totally separate things. They can happen simultaneously if you've let the car go way past the +1QT notification that the car is 1 quart low on oil. Is a red oilcan symbol constantly lit in the gauge cluster when the engine is running? If that is the case, then you ARE low on oil and you should not drive the car. If you are just referring to the oil change past due (red) warning when you start the car (and then it goes away) you are just past due on the oil change. If the CBS (Condition Base Service) system is not reading the oil level after 10 - 15 minutes of driving then the oil level/condition sensor is faulty and needs to be replaced. Just take it to the dealer and let them have their way with you because you have no clue on how to interpret what the car is telling you. RFTM.
Thanks man. Think that's best. When I go to Check Service, it shows the Oil Lamp with a bar that appears to be empty, with a clock ticking.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 10:40 PM   #20
KeepitClassy
Banned
United_States
19
Rep
266
Posts

Drives: BMW LCI e90
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Orlando, Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by index1489 View Post
It's red because your past due for service in this case oil service 300 miles over, it's not really a big deal, you can check the oil level by reading your owners manual, if the level is ok it's not a big deal just get your oil changed already.

If you are actually low on oil and your low oil pressure light is on drive another car to the auto store and buy Mobil 1 0-40 European Formula and top it off.
Will this be okay? If so, how many should i buy to last me until the tune up next week? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-0W-40-1qt/17034373
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 10:47 PM   #21
Hoooper
Colonel
140
Rep
2,253
Posts

Drives: 335D
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Petaluma, CA

iTrader: (0)

If the car didn't have a warning would you just drive it until it ran out?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 11:03 PM   #22
MrPig
Major
MrPig's Avatar
Canada
13
Rep
1,205
Posts

Drives: '11 STI, '90 325iS
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1990 BMW 325is  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepitClassy View Post
How many qts should i buy to top it off? And how long will that last me for? Will It be good enoug to delay the oil change for 30 days?
30 days? You just said 7. Seriously, just get your oil changed. The CBS shows service due for oil well in advance, was not spending the 2 hours to get it changed at a dealer/indy really worth all this headache you're experiencing now?
__________________
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:46 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST