E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > New Apple iPhone

01-14-2007, 04:06 PM   #67
myst
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira
Where you will have to sign a Cingular contract.
If you want Cingular service you will have to sign a contract to be a customer. If you already have service, you can just go into a Cingular or Apple store and purchase it, and then plug your sim card into it. The price will not change though if you sign a contract, which actually is going to hurt the sales of Cingular as far as contracts, but help with the number of customer migrating over.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2007, 05:54 PM   #68
Greeney
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez E90 M3

Quote:
A "New AT&T" contract... so stupid. theres 3 billion down the tubes.
      01-14-2007, 09:31 PM   #69
super88ta
Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 06 330i, Monaco Blue w/Gray

Quote:

You will actually be able to purchase this in the AT&T Wireless store. As of tomorrow Jan 15th, Cingular will be AT&T wireless. Who knows how much this phone is going to cost? People will buy it anyways because its cool. Everyone who bought a palm Treo, didn't buy one because they needed it for actually working. It was just that you could if you wanted to. IF this docks on my ipod adapter and charges the iPhone while being able to listen to its MP3's and be connected to bluetooth, it will be well worth the $600. My ipod is sure to break soon and my razr is due to go out in another 6 mos.

new Blackjack(not BMW compatible, by the way) $299
new 8GB Nano $249
TOTAL $548

New iPhone $50 bucks more!!! Hell yeah.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2007, 09:42 PM   #70
Lucid4000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i AW Sport 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i Sport  [0.00]
As soon as that phone come outs... I AM ALL OVER GETTING IT. You guys have to watch the key note from Steve Jobbs. Sick!!

Mobile Addictions
718.877.7700 or info@mobile-addictions.com
www.mobile-addictions.com
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2007, 06:46 AM   #71
gjdavies
Rep
Drives: E90 320d (in 3 months :-()

Quote:
Originally Posted by myst
If you want Cingular service you will have to sign a contract to be a customer. If you already have service, you can just go into a Cingular or Apple store and purchase it, and then plug your sim card into it. The price will not change though if you sign a contract, which actually is going to hurt the sales of Cingular as far as contracts, but help with the number of customer migrating over.
Price won't change, although if you are currently in a contract, you may have to wait for that to finish or pay out the rest of that contract before you can get the new handset.

If you are an existing customer, you will re-up for another 2 years. These handsets are being sold at I would guess around the $600 mark to the operator (AT&T nee. Cingular) and the term of the contract is where Cingular make the money.

Give it 9 months after launch and the price will drop as fuuture volumes are known................ and the mk. 2 will be released no doubt.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2007, 09:52 AM   #72
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:
Originally Posted by super88ta
You will actually be able to purchase this in the AT&T Wireless store. As of tomorrow Jan 15th, Cingular will be AT&T wireless.
Cingular, under AT&T ownership, is NOT going back to the old AT&T Wireless brand, on the 15th or any other day. They are starting to rebrand Cingular as "AT&T". Period.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2007, 07:47 PM   #73
SapphireBlackG01
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 X3, Formerly ‘06 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjdavies
xxpaintmepunkxx, why did you not think the rest of the world would get this version? Think it was a US only thing? I do agree that Europe/Asia may get a WCDMA version before the US, but I think it is unlikley given the GSM thing hasn't even hit the FCC yet. Even if they do release a 3G version, it'll go through the same approvals for a worldwide availability.
Because, Japan, for one, and other parts of Asia use WCDMA extensively in their wireless networks.

And because in Europe, a 3G handset would make alot more sense in the iPhone's price range, than the GSM+Edge version that was announced for the US - and Apple isn't clueless.
Guy #1: "Hanz, I know zee window switches have always been next to zee shifter in zee 3er cars, but I think ve should move them to zee door!"
Guy #2: "But zee doors are already designed and ve do not have time to re-design them!"
Guy #1: "Just make it verk or you vill be verking over at VW!"
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2007, 05:16 PM   #74
gjdavies
Rep
Drives: E90 320d (in 3 months :-()

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxpaintmepunkxx
Because, Japan, for one, and other parts of Asia use WCDMA extensively in their wireless networks.

And because in Europe, a 3G handset would make alot more sense in the iPhone's price range, than the GSM+Edge version that was announced for the US - and Apple isn't clueless.
Agree with your points........ well, apart from Japan. Japan use a system called FOMA in the main, although there are a few WCDMA operators out there. I actually work for a Japanese Electronics/Comms company who provide an awful lot of Communications kit worldwide and believe it or not, the Japanese market is very closed to outside companies. Apple don't do as well on a % basis in these markets as they do in the rest of the world. Biggest selling phones in Japan are Sharp/NEC et al. Sony Ericsson are slowly gaining market share, but the Operators dictate the software that runs on the Phone. Vodafone do this extensively and Japanese UI's are very different.

I do however completely agree about Europe. But it's essentially the same as Motorola did. They started promoting EDGE into Europe during the height of the 3G craze. Seemed crazy and didn't pay ooff, but it allowed them some small volume of handsets.

This unit will be bought by early adopters and even though it lacks network functionality, it will still sell buy the Cargo Ship full. The amount they sell will probably fund the devlopment and introduction of a 3G version shortly afterwards and my betting is it will be a cheaper device. But that is why the EDGE version will come to Europe.

The pricing set out is designed to maximise revenue from essentially a 'fanboy' market, where people will: 1: Buy it because it's Apple and Cool, or 2: Have to be seen with the latest whatchamagizmit.

The next big thing of course is WiMAX. Widely believed to be the first 4G network............. you can beet Apple have thought about that, given the fact that Intel are one of the biggest promoters of the technology and now also the core platform provider for the latest generation Mac's. Plus I bet the iphone is on an intel chipset............
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2007, 05:48 PM   #75
obLu
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT ZSP

I know there won't be any discounts with service ... when was the last time you saw any apple product "on sale"? ... because of the apple price fixing. But I wonder what'll happen to us Cingular/soon to be ATT customers who's contract has expired and we're on month to month?

Can I purchase the phone at full price and remain month to month, refusing to sign a new contract. Or will I be forced to sign a new contract to purchase the phone?

Will I truly be able to just walk into the apple store, buy one and slip my SIM in?

I'm betting they'll make me sign a new ATT contract and that my Cingular SIM will magically not work.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2007, 09:39 PM   #76
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:
Originally Posted by obLu
I know there won't be any discounts with service ... when was the last time you saw any apple product "on sale"? ... because of the apple price fixing. But I wonder what'll happen to us Cingular/soon to be ATT customers who's contract has expired and we're on month to month?

Can I purchase the phone at full price and remain month to month, refusing to sign a new contract. Or will I be forced to sign a new contract to purchase the phone?

Will I truly be able to just walk into the apple store, buy one and slip my SIM in?

I'm betting they'll make me sign a new ATT contract and that my Cingular SIM will magically not work.
Contract required.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2007, 10:32 PM   #77
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by super88ta
new Blackjack(not BMW compatible, by the way) $299
new 8GB Nano $249
TOTAL $548

New iPhone $50 bucks more!!! Hell yeah.
Exactly, plus you get the massive touch screen on the iPhone and a fully compatible browser in a single package. But if its not 3G I'm going to be pissed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2007, 05:26 AM   #78
Phila
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325xi

I'm crossing my fingers hoping the iPhone will properly pair with our cars.