E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 Headlight Water Leaking In

12-20-2012, 07:30 AM   #1
ha9981
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i e90

E90 Headlight Water Leaking In

Water keeps getting into my headlight passenger headlight after every car wash and remains there for month or more in the winter.

How do I fix this?? Is this a common problem?

It was replaced by bmw a year back so I am wondering if there is some kind of warranty that last more than a year.

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
Turb0Surge
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BLACK e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ha9981 View Post
Water keeps getting into my headlight passenger headlight after every car wash and remains there for month or more in the winter.

How do I fix this?? Is this a common problem?

It was replaced by bmw a year back so I am wondering if there is some kind of warranty that last more than a year.

I take it you mean by a dealer, so that rules out the possibility of it being an aftermarket headlight. Open the hood, look around for any obvious cracks, holes or damage on the headlight. Either that or your headlight plastic is not sealed.

If it was replaced only a year ago by bmw- take it back. They should replace it.
      12-20-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

FYI, there are 2 covers on the back of the headlight with a gasket around them. One is for the xenon assembly, the other is for the angel eye bulb. I had an issue where the gasket around the cover for the angel eye bulb was shifted and letting water in; specifically during car washes. My cover for for the xenon assembly also had some of the tabs broken off, so I replaced it completely.

Check to make sure those covers are intact and are seated properly. Also, if you remove those covers and just leave your hood "popped" (not open) for an afternoon it will let the humidity of the air inside the headlight to equalize with the air outside and that fog will clear right up.
      12-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
If the dealer won't cover it, a good way to get the moisture out is to use those "DO NOT EAT" silica packets you find in shoes and electronics. Stuff a few in the assembly where it's easily removable. Let it sit for a few hours and it should absorb a lot of the moisture out. Reseal the headlight so it doesn't reoccur.
      12-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
Tim M
Just a regular guy.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
If the dealer won't cover it, a good way to get the moisture out is to use those "DO NOT EAT" silica packets you find in shoes and electronics. Stuff a few in the assembly where it's easily removable. Let it sit for a few hours and it should absorb a lot of the moisture out. Reseal the headlight so it doesn't reoccur.

+1 or a bag of rice!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 08:08 PM   #6
ha9981
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
FYI, there are 2 covers on the back of the headlight with a gasket around them. One is for the xenon assembly, the other is for the angel eye bulb. I had an issue where the gasket around the cover for the angel eye bulb was shifted and letting water in; specifically during car washes. My cover for for the xenon assembly also had some of the tabs broken off, so I replaced it completely.

Check to make sure those covers are intact and are seated properly. Also, if you remove those covers and just leave your hood "popped" (not open) for an afternoon it will let the humidity of the air inside the headlight to equalize with the air outside and that fog will clear right up.
Challenge is sealing the headlight. Not sure how. But I am hoping as you said that it is the covers at the back.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 09:10 PM   #7
rickxtac
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 Alpine White

I've had similar issue before. Parked it indoors for a day and laid out a pack of 'damp rid' on top of the light.

It won't solve the issue in the long run though. If it turns like that after a car wash then you probably have a leak. Check the area around the light to see if you can discover the leakage point. A spray bottle might help but try to stay away from the electrical points.
Appreciate 0