E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes > Tail of the Dragon

11-01-2011, 07:40 PM   #1
TurboCraig
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i

Tail of the Dragon

I took a weekend trip to southern Tennessee/northern North Carolina this weekend. We spent some time in Gatlinburg but took the trip to drive the "Dragon".

I drove through the Smoky Mtn National Park and through snow at the top of the mountain. It was 25 degrees. When I got back to the bottom, temps were in the mid 50's. It was a beautiful day for a drive. I went across highway 74 and hit Moonshiner 28 (state road full of curves and beautiful views). This road led to the "Dragon". It is an amazing road and nonstop turns and switchbacks. Some of the curves are even banked. My wife went with me and I think she had fun, and she's not much into 'very spirited' driving.

There are 2 photo businesses in the turns shooting pictures of you when you pass. Killboy.com and us129photos.com and they do a very good job of getting as many shots of you as they can.

It was a very fun Saturday morning/afternoon drive. I am going to attempt to make another drive in the Spring if anyone is interested or ever wanted to drive the "Dragon".

I am attaching a link to one of the photos killboy.com took of my car.

http://www.129pix.net/jps/store.jsp?...id=281&page=11

-Craig
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 09:28 PM   #2
J-Spec Dan
ALL RIGHTY THEN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 STX Advance

Sounds like you had a great time. I was planning on going this year. Maybe next year.
      11-03-2011, 09:24 PM   #3
nick 55
Late Braking
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe, C55, E55, hmm..

Garage List
My wife and I did that back in July of 09. I had a blast, she hated it. Well, didn't hate it, she just felt . We spent 4 nights in a cabin in the mountains and had a great time. Unfortunately, I knew that we couldn't take the BMW because of it's "sort of low" ride height, so we took the E55. It worked out great.

Nick