Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Winter Tires - Help choose please

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-10-2011, 10:17 AM   #23
hiter202
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

what about 225/50/17
or is 50 too much? because my buddy's dad has those on his 5 series and he's giving me tires with aftermarket rep rims for $350 with 80% tread left. which is a killer deal
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 08:33 PM   #24
koofu
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

WHat wheels are your winter setups? damn they're clean
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 10:09 AM   #25
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

You could try it but in most cases 225/50R17 rubs.

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 07:28 AM   #26
Saintor
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by CirrusSR22 View Post
It depends on what your defintion of "best" is. The best studless traction in snow and ice would be tires like:

Michelin X-Ice Xi2
Bridgestone Blizzak WS70
Nokian Hakkapeiitta R
Continental ExtremeWinterContact

Any would be a great choice.

But many BMW drivers find these tires to be a bit too squishy for aggressive driving when the roads are clear. They then choose tires like:

Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60
Dunlop SP WinterSport 3D
Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3

Any would be a great choice as well.
I bought Continental ExtremeWinterContact tires and I am extremely deceived. The give a constant feel of floppiness and it is like if the wall is not strong enough. In normal driving, normal drivers won't notice. My previous Vredestein winter tires were so much better and no more expensive. However they were bad on ice. I swapped to those winter wheels with Vredestein a few weeks just before I replaced them with the Conti because one of my 18" summer tire was shot.

After all the good words I read before, I regret my purchase and should have bought Pilot Alpin PA3, SP WinterSport 3D or TS810.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #27
wiseweasel
The wisest of weasels!
Rep
Drives: Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
I bought Continental ExtremeWinterContact tires and I am extremely deceived. The give a constant feel of floppiness and it is like if the wall is not strong enough. In normal driving, normal drivers won't notice. My previous Vredestein winter tires were so much better and no more expensive. However they were bad on ice. I swapped to those winter wheels with Vredestein a few weeks just before I replaced them with the Conti because one of my 18" summer tire was shot.

After all the good words I read before, I regret my purchase and should have bought Pilot Alpin PA3, SP WinterSport 3D or TS810.
Well remember, the Continentals are not Performance winter tires like the others you mentioned. So they will likely have better traction in the snow, but suffer in handling and stability at speed.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 04:18 PM   #28
Saintor
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseweasel View Post
Well remember, the Continentals are not Performance winter tires like the others you mentioned. So they will likely have better traction in the snow, but suffer in handling and stability at speed.
In retrospective, my Vredestein were H-rated. I should definitely have kept that spec minimally.

Yet I have never seen mainstream tires for small-midsize car feel so soft that they are unsecure. Specially with a 45 ratio.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 04:25 PM   #29
hiter202
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Just picked up a set of 4 Blizzak LM-25 225/45/17 with 90% tread left for $190 for all 4 tires I wish they were RFT's tho gonna have to be a tad bit more cautious lol

Thanks for all the help guys
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 06:47 PM   #30
L1VRPOOL.FC335is
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Sapphaire Black 2012 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary@TireRack View Post
225/45R17 would be the correct 17" sizing.
I have a 2012 335is with a staggered 18 inch OEM rims and I'm looking to buy winter tires too. So do you recommend minus sized tires: 225/45R17 on 18 inch wheels as described in this tirerack article?:

"Save Money While Enhancing Your Vehicle's Deep Snow Traction

Tire Rack's Preferred Winter Packages often feature alternate sizes that combine smaller diameter wheels (that fit over the vehicle's Original Equipment brakes and within its wheelwell) with narrower, higher profile tires (that have equivalent load capacities and overall diameters). This not only promotes better deep snow traction, but also results in less expensive Winter / Snow Tire & Wheel Packages. An additional advantage higher profile tire sizes offer is they feature taller sidewalls and smaller diameter wheels that more easily resist damage associated with winter road hazards and early spring potholes."

I like the Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25 RFT as my car didn't come with a spare so RFTs are a must. What do you think? Minus sizing works?

Thanks for you help...
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 07:46 PM   #31
L1VRPOOL.FC335is
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Sapphaire Black 2012 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitefusion View Post
Just picked up a set of 4 Blizzak LM-25 225/45/17 with 90% tread left for $190 for all 4 tires I wish they were RFT's tho gonna have to be a tad bit more cautious lol

Thanks for all the help guys
Where? That sounds like an awesome deal.
Appreciate 0