E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > My turbo is dead....

08-29-2007, 09:38 AM   #1
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

My turbo is dead....

So, I bring my car into service because it keeps doing this weird thing where the low oil light comes on and then the temperature gauge drops to 120 and does not move. The car is also constantly giving me varying oil level readings from low to full and the low oil light will turn off and on while I'm driving. My SA calls me back to tell me that one of my turbos is leaking oil. This sucks. Thank god it will be fixed under warranty (they said the turbo alone cost about $3k). They hope to have it fixed in a week or less. If your car has these symptoms, take it in immediately!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 09:40 AM   #2
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

On a side note, when I was getting my things out of the car today, I opened the trunk and saw about a million pieces of my engine in there including my turbo. I thought I was going to cry...
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 09:40 AM   #3
Bimmer335i07
BK Employee of the month! / Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I wonder if yours is the first turbo to go?

I don't recall reading about any turbos going bad.

Hope they fix your car soon.

Sponsored by: Pics of the ---> Barbera Beast <---
Martino Auto Concepts (Like them on Facebook MAC) Factory Trained & Authorized by BMW of North America

Matt@Camber-Toe (Like them on Facebook Camber-Toe)
LuxAngelEyes (Like them on Facebook LuxAngelEyes)
LTBMW (Like them on Facebook LTBMW)
OEMconcepts (Like them on Facebook OEMconcepts)
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 09:42 AM   #4
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer335i07 View Post
I wonder if yours is the first turbo to go?

I don't recall reading about any turbos going bad.

Hope they fix your car soon.
My dealership said this is about the 3rd one to have this problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 09:51 AM   #5
Rando
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Did you rev it high often when it was cold? (Just curious -- I don't mean to IMPLY anything at all.)
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 09:52 AM   #6
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Maybe I'm missing something here...

If it's leaking oil couldn't it just be a seal problem and not anything wrong with the turbo itself
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 09:55 AM   #7
MrSilver
Judge Advocate General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
I have the same problem... I've had it for some time actually. My dealer told me that it is a known software problem and they are awaiting an update. My car does not appear to be leaking anything.

I'm wondering if your turbo leak is related to the low oil light. I have not noticed any performance issues with the car, despite the fact that I've had the low oil light issue for at least 3 months (if not longer).

'07 E92 335i "Over-Heating" and "Blowing Up" since 9-5-06
6MT, Space Gray, Gray w/ Dakota Leather, Dark Burl, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW
Comfort Access, Sirius Satellite (Howard is not optional)

'07 X3 3.0si - Black on Black, ZPP, ZCW, Step. - Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 09:55 AM   #8
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Did you rev it high often when it was cold? (Just curious -- I don't mean to IMPLY anything at all.)
No, I always let my car warm up before I high revved it and I always let the idle come down when I started my car.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 09:56 AM   #9
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag824 View Post
Maybe I'm missing something here...

If it's leaking oil couldn't it just be a seal problem and not anything wrong with the turbo itself
I think that would just be a temporary fix.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 09:56 AM   #10
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

AFAIK, Spool on here had the first turbo to go. His wasnt a leak though, something actually got sucked in and wrecked the fins. Said there was metal fragments even in the airbox.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 09:59 AM   #11
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSilver View Post
I have the same problem... I've had it for some time actually. My dealer told me that it is a known software problem and they are awaiting an update. My car does not appear to be leaking anything.

I'm wondering if your turbo leak is related to the low oil light. I have not noticed any performance issues with the car, despite the fact that I've had the low oil light issue for at least 3 months (if not longer).
Mine started off doing it only very rarely. It progressively occurred more often and now it does it almost all the time. The low oil light and the turbo leaking are related because the car is losing oil through the turbo. As far as performance I thought my car felt slow, but there is a good chance that is because I am just use to the power now.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 10:03 AM   #12
Park2670
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

oneclean335i has replaced a turbo on a 535 already as well.

Thats always difficult to have a customer see a car completely apart. We had an X5 in the shop that needed a body harness replaced. Everything has to come out, and customers will stare in awe about all the things placed outside the car. We usually make a joke and say "we are gonna find that rattle!"
      08-29-2007, 10:32 AM   #13
bapow1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi sedan

When you get the car back and drive for a few hundred miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335coupe View Post
So, I bring my car into service because it keeps doing this weird thing where the low oil light comes on and then the temperature gauge drops to 120 and does not move. The car is also constantly giving me varying oil level readings from low to full and the low oil light will turn off and on while I'm driving. My SA calls me back to tell me that one of my turbos is leaking oil. This sucks. Thank god it will be fixed under warranty (they said the turbo alone cost about $3k). They hope to have it fixed in a week or less. If your car has these symptoms, take it in immediately!
Take an oil sample and send it to a lab to be analyzed and to look for indicators of coolant in the oil. Reason being is that with my S4 I had coolant in my oil and this caused the seals to fail on the turbos. Oil leaked into the high pressure side of the turbo (fresh air) and ended up in my intercooler and eventually it was burned through the engine. Funny that your oil is leaking outside the car. Did the housing or the connections for the oil crack?

Did you see any blue smoke coming out of the exhaust when you let off the gas from WOT? Make sure they check to see if oil was sucked into the motor because this will cause O2 sensor issues and shortening of the lifetime of the cats. Also, you intercooler will need to be "ultrasonically" cleaned in order to remove the oil and bring the cooling capacity of the intercooler back up to spec.

Another thing that you experienced I also experiened. My low oil indicator kept coming on and off regardless of having the proper oil in the car. The cause? Coolant in the oil was causing intermitten failure of the sensor.

Reason why I had coolant in the oil was because I was chipped and was driving real hard on the autobahn. The motor had a iron block with aluminum heads and when the motor got hot/cool faster then it was designed, the heads and block temporarily warped and allowed coolant to move from the coolant channel to the oil channel. When we tested for this in the shop (high pressure), it was not detected because the warping had gone away.

Note for the chipped drivers--this could possibly happen with our engines also. Given the fact that the head and block are longer than on the V6, it may be more likely to occur. However, the fact that the heads and block are both aluminum, the metals will heat/cool at closer rates than with the iron/aluminum combination which could greatly decreases chances of a leakage.

Just my $0.02
      08-29-2007, 10:35 AM   #14
OTK_KART
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: cars with 4 wheels

Does the engine needed to be pulled to fix the turbo?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 10:39 AM   #15
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapow1 View Post
Take an oil sample and send it to a lab to be analyzed and to look for indicators of coolant in the oil. Reason being is that with my S4 I had coolant in my oil and this caused the seals to fail on the turbos. Oil leaked into the high pressure side of the turbo (fresh air) and ended up in my intercooler and eventually it was burned through the engine. Funny that your oil is leaking outside the car. Did the housing or the connections for the oil crack?

Did you see any blue smoke coming out of the exhaust when you let off the gas from WOT? Make sure they check to see if oil was sucked into the motor because this will cause O2 sensor issues and shortening of the lifetime of the cats. Also, you intercooler will need to be "ultrasonically" cleaned in order to remove the oil and bring the cooling capacity of the intercooler back up to spec.

Another thing that you experienced I also experiened. My low oil indicator kept coming on and off regardless of having the proper oil in the car. The cause? Coolant in the oil was causing intermitten failure of the sensor.

Reason why I had coolant in the oil was because I was chipped and was driving real hard on the autobahn. The motor had a iron block with aluminum heads and when the motor got hot/cool faster then it was designed, the heads and block temporarily warped and allowed coolant to move from the coolant channel to the oil channel. When we tested for this in the shop (high pressure), it was not detected because the warping had gone away.

Note for the chipped drivers--this could possibly happen with our engines also. Given the fact that the head and block are longer than on the V6, it may be more likely to occur. However, the fact that the heads and block are both aluminum, the metals will heat/cool at closer rates than with the iron/aluminum combination which could greatly decreases chances of a leakage.

Just my $0.02
Great post
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 10:47 AM   #16
jsh139
How YOU Doin?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
This happened on a stock car?

Also, how could it be a software problem? Just curious.
      08-29-2007, 11:22 AM   #17
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300

Quote:

Just my $0.02
I've heard this before regarding I-6 engines since the block and head (and gasket) are so long, the chance of warping are much greater. Especially when the engine is heated up to quickly and unevenly...

Last edited by voltron1011; 08-29-2007 at 03:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 11:29 AM   #18
Alias
dork
Rep
Drives: //M

Sorry for slightly drifting off topic, but are you sure 3k per turbo is accurate? I recall reading on here last week and someone mentioned that each turbo was around $1,800.00 ish each

anyone?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 11:35 AM   #19
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

I'm a little confused as to why your readings would fluctuate up and down for oil level if it were leaking....should only go down I'd think. Did you ever see puddles or drops under the car or smell burning to make you believe it was leaking?
I would just be concerned they are dismantling your whole engine when it's just the software bug fix that was discussed here.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 11:45 AM   #20
AJ M2 comp
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335Xi

I had the same problem however they just replaced my oil level sensor and the problem went away……. Guess I got off lucky 6K miles and counting with no problems….

2008 e92 335xi 6mt, Montego Blue, Jade Grey, Grey Poplar, Sport, Cold Weather, Comfort Access, KW V3s, M3 spoiler, 35% tint, 3M clear bra, GP Thunder H8
2007 E92 335i*
2003 E46 330Ci*
1994 Ford Probe SE* *Retired
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 12:08 PM   #21
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
Take an oil sample and send it to a lab to be analyzed and to look for .....nation which could greatly decreases chances of a leakage.

Just my $0.02
Excellent post. Thanks for taking the time. Very good to know. I agree with your assessment about similar metals - we are less likely to see the thermal expansion differences.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 12:10 PM   #22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Why the heck are the pieces in your trunk! That would have flipped me out
Appreciate 0