E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > JB4 Stage 1 for e92 N55

09-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #1
3er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Competition

JB4 Stage 1 for e92 N55

I haven't seen much information on the JB4 Stage 1 tune and I'm interested in tuning my '12 e92 (N55). The reason I'm interested in the JB4 Stage 1 and not the Stage 2 is due to the ease in which I can install and uninstall it. Additionally, I really don't care about the features offered by the Stage 2 and only want a quality, conservative tune. From what I've read, the Stage 2 requires you to splice into a few wires and, to be honest, I'm not interested in going this route since I still need to go in for regular maintenance. Anyways, I wanted to get a few questions answered before I place my order and was hoping to get some of your feedback. Here we go...
  1. I've read that the JB4 Stage 1 has "surging" issues, but some of my reading points out this this may have only been an issue with the JB3+ tune. Can anyone comment on this?
  2. How refined is the Stage 1 tune vs the Stage 2 tune? By refined, I mean to say that it won't exhibit odd quirks that my car didn't have pre-tune. This somewhat alludes to my previous question regarding the surging issue.
  3. Judging from the dyno sheets on burgertuning.com, it looks like you can run an air intake and downpipe with no problem (FYI, I'm looking at the BMS performance intake and downpipe). When installing any of them, should I change maps on the Stage 1 to take advantage of these modifications?
  4. If I do install an intake and downpipe, do I need to remove any of them prior to taking my car in for service? The dealership I go to is relatively mod friendly, so I'd think that the intake would be fine. However, I'm not sure about the downpipe. When I had my Mustang, installing a catless x-pipe would throw the check engine light, so I'm curious if BMW's exibit similar behavior. I'm also concerned that the fuel to air ratio may not be ideal with a downpipe and no tune (temporary, of course).
  5. Does the JB4 Stage 1 erase all traces of itself when you uninstall it? If so, is there a special process for this?
      09-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
wdlfbio
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 4S, 2015 3500 HD Dually,

Installed stage 2 two days ago. Maybe an hour of my time, being the first time to remove those sections under the hood necessary to get to the sensors.

No splicing of any wires. All wires hidden.

Skill level from 1-10: 2.
Tools:
1 8mm socket (6 bolts holding plastic hvac cover).
1 #2 Phillips screwdriver (2 screws holding shroud at rear of engine bay).
1 small blade standard screwdriver (to help remove plugs from the 4 sensors).
3 zip ties (optional to secure new wire loom)
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

::Bump::

Great questions.

I'm also looking at installing a stage 1 or 2 JB4 on a N54. However, I don't want to do any mods as well besides the tune. I'm afraid the car will run extremely hot, as it already runs hot as hell - stock! If I do a stage 1, am I good with all stock? Or is a intercooler or cooling injection required?? I'd rather not install any other aftermarket parts, as I would like to just remove the module when I need to. I do like the ease of install for the JB dual-cone intake though (something I'm also thinking about).

Also I read with the JB4 stage 2, you can choose from your steering console what stage you would like your car to perform in? Stock boost, stage 1, or 2. Is this true? That's the only reason I'd choose a stage 2 over a stage 1. Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #4
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky dj View Post
::Bump::

Great questions.

I'm also looking at installing a stage 1 or 2 JB4 on a N54. However, I don't want to do any mods as well besides the tune. I'm afraid the car will run extremely hot, as it already runs hot as hell - stock! If I do a stage 1, am I good with all stock? Or is a intercooler or cooling injection required?? I'd rather not install any other aftermarket parts, as I would like to just remove the module when I need to. I do like the ease of install for the JB dual-cone intake though (something I'm also thinking about).

Also I read with the JB4 stage 2, you can choose from your steering console what stage you would like your car to perform in? Stock boost, stage 1, or 2. Is this true? That's the only reason I'd choose a stage 2 over a stage 1. Thanks guys!

I recently had the chance to drive a friend of a friend's 335 (N55) JB4 Stage 2 (Map 1) and literally emailed Mike at N54tuning as soon as I got out of the car. Install looks simple and seems worth the extra effort.

Good luck.

Last edited by Roundown; 12-05-2012 at 01:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
3er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Competition

Thanks, man. I had some downtime at work and actually "read" the installation instructions. From what I saw, I came to the same conclusion that you did in that there's no splicing or anything like that - just simply wrap the two separate CAN wires around the pre-existing sets and plug a wire into the fuse. I also figured that the Stage 1 will not erase codes since it cannot communicate with the CAN, so that's already a deal breaker from the start. From your post and the extra reading I've done, Stage 2 seems pretty damn simple and the way to go. I'm usually pretty decisive, but less so when dealing with expensive cars! Thanks again!