E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Radiator fan - say it ain't so

01-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55

Radiator fan - say it ain't so

I have an intermittent problem. Car hasn't thrown any codes. I'm fearful of what these symptoms imply. I'd like some feedback please.

Car is running strong.
Normally, fan and engine temps are all within normal ranges.
Recently, on long drives, the fan kicks run extremely high rpm's. It does this regardless of ambient or oil temps.

As an example, drove around town on 10 min trips in 50F weather. Fan was normal and oil temps were around 200.

Last few hour long trips.... Ambient temps around 40F at night. Oil temps around 220. Then, all of a sudden, fan kicks on overtime. Car has normal power and doesn't thrown codes. As I'm nearing home, oil temps are all the way down to 165F. I come to stop and hear the fan screaming. Turn off the car and averything is fine again until I go on a norther long trip drive.

What's the deal? Bad thermostat? Failing water pump? Both? Something else?

Car is at 102k miles and never had any of the above replaced.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep

Sorry for typos... Small iPhone screen
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

I think that means the thermostat is failing. Do you have a tune and did you try updating recently?

This is a common "glitch" so to speak in this car, but if it happens a lot then I would think something like the thermostat is on the way out.

I would first upload fresh firmware and updates on your tune. Don't forget to reset adaptations. If you dont have a tune then something is likely going to fail soon.

Check your coolant level too.

If you do replace the thermostat I would replace the water pump too at that mileage.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #4
gerardm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Sedan - Alpine White

If you have the procede check your wg setting if its at 90 try lowering it to 50. I had this problem ended up replacing water pump and thermostat and it didnt solve the issue. Come to find out it was an issue with the tune. Changed that setting and all was resolved. If not it could be the coolant sensor. If not then go for the other 2 items last as they are a fortune out of pocket.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep

Yes, I have Procede 2.5 but haven't updated in nearly a year.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardm View Post
If you have the procede check your wg setting if its at 90 try lowering it to 50. I had this problem ended up replacing water pump and thermostat and it didnt solve the issue. Come to find out it was an issue with the tune. Changed that setting and all was resolved. If not it could be the coolant sensor. If not then go for the other 2 items last as they are a fortune out of pocket.
Good advice and call about the coolant sensor.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #7
gerardm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Sedan - Alpine White

I have the 2.0 and been running basically the same maps for a long time since I can't even run the newer maps. I would highly suggest checking if that setting is cranked to 90 it is on default for some maps. If not try the sensor first, I think I read its like 15 bucks and you can DIY. Definitely don't drop the money on water pump and therm before at least checking the map settings or sensor.

My car had same behavior first it would do it sporadically for a few months. Then I would turn car off and on and it would stop. Eventually it started throwing SES lights and happening more often. Had the things replaced but still kept happening. Stumbled upon a thread of Shiv stating this issue and sure enough it fixed it.
Appreciate 0